Can you learn scuba from tv?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also don't forget the Grotto! Any questions?
820_DSC01311_Thunderball_Grotto_Exp_I_10-08.jpg

Really? I try to keep up on Scubaboard. I saw a video posted a few days ago where some guy ran out of air and got safely out of a cave using Spare Air....

Now, you're just yanking my chain.:wink:

That video was made in jest. Cave divers will be the first group of divers to shun spare air.

The OP will drowned on his checkout dive with a team of Scientific divers! I have look into the Grotto and gotten the answer to his future! :dork2:

...... Is it possible to learn to dive by, say, watching Jacques Cousteau movies? .....

Let me add some fuel to the fire here .........:D

As in every activity, "muscle memory" is something that you can ONLY learn by practicing that specific muscle. To be more specific, to make a safe ascent you want to raise both your arms above your head - a la Superman; the left hand controls the BCD while the right hand makes sure you do not bump into something.
You can certainly see this happening in a movie, but to get it right - and properly control your ascent by DEFLATING - your BCD, you will need to practice this over and over.

Having said that ...... get ready with the flamethrower .... :angrymob:

Of course, to get certified you need to take a REAL class from a REAL instructor and do some REAL dives, but .... what about spending some time with a dive simulator (we happen to have a FREE one :wink:) to "get the idea" before you walk into your local dive shop and sign up for the OW class?

Isn't that true that pilots (and not just the military / commercial types) spend tons of hours playing with flight simulators before flying for real?

Alberto

No really - look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChZapfN5s-8 and you will see.

Here's a post from the guy who made the vid:
Actually, I only used the one spare air for the entire video. After about 7 breaths it was empty and I had to take a breath off my primary then spit it out and put the spare air in my mouth as I was scootering towards the camera...
You can believe him or your lying eyes. :wink:

Here's a post from the guy who made the vid:

You can believe him or your lying eyes. :wink:

*Dave* BTW you use too many ****** there running out! *Dave* you thought Pigs couldn't swim only wade????
So what are you going to believe?

Back
Top Bottom