Canadian diver and buddy rescued near Apo Island, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! Great example! So PLB1 is not useless in Indonesia as some people there thought.

I had similar situation of accidentally triggering my PLB1 underwater with soft case (Kona iPhone 6 case), as shown in the picture, below, when I was in GBR. Luckily I was in experimental mode and attentively kept watching my depth & the case as descending. When my depth reached 104’, the PLB1 red light came on. So I slowly ascent to about 86’ when the red light turned off. The red light on duration was less than a couple minutes. No alert / phone calls received from NOAA, nor from my emergency contact or US embassy in Australia. I assume the signal wasn’t transmitted, yet.

View attachment 445783

Your plb turn off at shallow depth. And it was not on the surface activated long enough. Maybe that was why signal did not go through.

I had my plb1 in soft case and dived with it for days in manado and no problem, it was not activated.

Weird thing was when it become accidentally activated, it was the same day that my grand mom was dying. Some say it was my grand mom calling us...

Anyway we got the hard case canister on ebay. It works very well so far for the good price of 89aud:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/CANISTER-for...Locator-Beacon-VHF-Marine-Radio-/202125430797

The canister even have an emmergency blanket included. The large one have enough space for the plb1, medications, eyedrops, spare contacts, fire stick, blanket. We even put Asa (aspirin) in case of heart issues or pain issues. I even put a small fishing line with hooks. (Good for many uses aside fishing). Canister come with pouch that you can attach to the 2 inch webbing of the tabk strap (or bcb)

Canister come with pouch that you can attach to the 2 inch webbing of the tabk strap (or bcb)
No, that pouch is not built for diving. I don't know why he even includes it, but there have been problems with people trying to use it for diving. It says so on the page you linked: "Topside carry pouch included (not for underwater use). "

And the smaller canister is large enough for an ACR 2881. I wouldn't want the hassle of carrying the larger one.

Now we dive and walk around resort with this ultimate hoody : Sol Cool Technology for ExOfficio Clothing | ExOfficio US

It is the greatest piece of clothing ever: the hoody one for men zipped up all the way up, exposing only your eyes so you have total protection from sun. It is lightweight and super comfortable. We used it to go hiking in petra in 45 c and it kept us cool! (It is made from special material to keep you cool) And protected from sun.

We also used it for snorkelling and scuba diving. Hood on whenever we need sun protection. as you know, suncreen does not tend to stay on your skin underwater, regardless of the brand of suncreen. And some suncreen is VERY bad and damaging for the coral reef, even in small quantity.

You gotta lobby the company so then they keep making and selling this one everywhere.

No, that pouch is not built for diving. I don't know why he even includes it, but there have been problems with people trying to use it for diving. It says so on the page you linked: "Topside carry pouch included (not for underwater use). "

And the smaller canister is large enough for an ACR 2881. I wouldn't want the hassle of carrying the larger one.

It is not much larger but can carry much more.

It is true that tank pouch is not very durable. Last only one week underwater. If he make it with different material that would be perfect as it can attach easily to the 2inch standard tank straps

It is not much larger but can carry much more.

It is true that tank pouch is not very durable. Last only one week underwater. If he make it with different material that would be perfect as it can attach easily to the 2inch standard tank straps

Well, my $10 old camera case that also bought from eBay has kept my PLB1 dry for 130+ dives to as deep as 44m :)

I don't view it as a good carry option at all. It'd be too easy for the canister to float out and away. I use a bolt snap and key chain to attach mine to my BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom