Canadian woman presumed dead - Roatan, Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And so what would be the chances of a sudden medical death and a scuba failure?

If the medical issue was triggered by stress from an equipment failure, probably not all that far-fetched. But again, a diver with 700 dives could probably handle most of the common failure modes. However, I'll bet that a stream of exhalation bubbles looks pretty continuous if you're far enough above it.

he normal arms posture for positive descent would be left arm rise up with fingers on the BCD inflator, letting the air out of the BCD to descend, not in folding position.
Positive descent? I release air from my BC by pulling on the hose to dump.

True, but dead people don't breath.

True, but not everyone who suffers a ruptured cerebral aneurysm dies from it.. I think they estimate around 40%, give or take... That being said, Googling up info on the effects of a cerebral aneurysms (and other traumatic brain injuries) leads me to "Minimally Conscious State":
Minimally Conscious State
  • Eye Opening - Yes
  • Sleep/Wake Cycles - Yes
  • Visual Tracking - Often
  • Object Recognition - Inconsistent
  • Command Following - Inconsistent
  • Communication - Inconsistent
  • Contingent Emotion - Inconsistent

The above is just another bit of supposition but definitely could fit into the theory of breathing while not being responsive to the DM's heavy tank-banging, as well as appearing relaxed and unworried about the situation at hand.

Sorry for my bad English. I meant descending vertically with head up and fins down. My Cressi BCD just have a release button at the end of the hose. I don't have your type of BCD (Zeagle?)

Sorry for my bad English. I meant descending vertically with head up and fins down. My Cressi BCD just have a release button at the end of the hose. I don't have your type of BCD (Zeagle?)
You can't pull the inflator hose to activate a shoulder dump? My understanding was that that dump is fairly universal on BCDs.

You can't pull the inflator hose to activate a shoulder dump? My understanding was that that dump is fairly universal on BCDs.

Thanks for pointing that out. You made me read the manual. You are right. I can do both ways. I'll try pull the inflator hose next time. I guess the button is for trim (more precise) buoyancy control?

Another 30 pages?..or 1000 it'll only be speculation at best. Give it a rest already.

RIP.

Don't do that. It's a cheap plastic elbow, if it breaks or the hose pops off you'll be going directly to the bottom. I know people who have had that happen. It's no a big deal if you are in a DS, I'm told it's a bit exciting in a WS.

Maybe I missed this, but do we know for sure the deceased was 72?
In Roatan, a popular tourism destination in the Honduran Caribbean, Canadian tourist Maurene Patricia Lalonde, 73, went missing while scuba diving on Saturday.
Article linked in the first post.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom