Cancun Still the place for Texans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I, too would jump for joy if Southwest started to fly into Cozumel, but knowing what I do about its model for remaining profitable as a low cost carrier
I used to fly SWA when it was a fun, low priced airline in the 1970-80s, but even tho they resolved the problems of the Wright Amendment and go further now - they no longer out compete in ticket pricing out of Lubbock or Amarillo. That is, unless you need to check two bags, like to do to Cozumel. That would help a lot.

I'm going to Memphis in a few weeks, with one roll-on bag, and their fares are about the same as the full service airlines with better schedules.

Dandy Don, I have no doubt that the Southwest experience is different from Lubbock and Amarillo than it is for Dallas. Unfortunately for you, Lubbock and Amarillo are both what might be considered "marginal" destinations for Southwest - they just don't generate the passenger traffic necessary to fight for passenger revenue.

Looking at bigger destinations, with more passenger traffic, even the Department of Transportation recognizes the "Southwest effect" - the impact that Southwest has on forcing fares from ALL airlines down. I am based in Dallas, and long ago, I had a case (a trucking company bankruptcy; I represented the Teamsters Pension Funds on a withdrawal liability claim) that required me to make regular trips to Wichita Kansas - fly into Kansas City, rent a car, drive to Wichita. Later, I had a case that required several trips to Memphis. Both of these were before the repeal of the Wright Amendment, and average RT airfares into either Kansas City or Memphis were over $500 a pop. But when Southwest was freed to fly to both locations out of Dallas Love, average fares from DFW to either KC or Memphis on other airlines fell by nearly 40%. I might be wrong, but I'm betting that, though Southwest might not offer much in the way of discounts vs. other airlines out of Lubbock or Amarillo, if Southwest weren't there at all, your fares would be a LOT higher.

I am bored so looked up some flights on Matrix, I picked a 7 day trip in January.
Amarillo-DFW-CZM $673
DFW-CZM $781 Same flight #'s from DFW as above.
Amarillo-DFW-CUN $406
DFW-CUN $499 Same flight as above but there are more options of flight times.
These are all on AA.
I think when SW started flying to BZE prices went down a good bit.

I'm always amazed that it is cheaper to fly out of OKC, and get on the exact same connecting flight out of Dallas and it's $100 cheaper into Cun. Works great for me though. See you on the boat Streydog!! Daughter is getting married on the 20th, I'm on a plane the 29th. I've earned this one!!

Jay

In our case coming from LAX-COZ it will always involve a red eye and layover. My non diving wife does not do well with red-eyes. Non stop LAX-CUN during the day, plus on this upcoming trip the savings are $300 each.
Happy wife and lots of money leftover for beer, extra dives, and special meals out. Works for me.

We have the same issue flying into COZ from our dinky airport (Portland, OR -- PDX). In my advanced years, I'll still fly coach (4.5 hours to IAH or DFW, at 6' 1" is not fun), but I will not do red-eyes.

Last year United and IAH were not kind to us. Should have arrived at our condo by 7:30 pm at the latest, finally got there at 11:45 pm due to thunderstorms in Houston, leaking cockpit window, crew changes, and I've forgotten what else.

On our return trip, we should have arrived in Portland at 7:30, but arrived at midnight. United had at least three story's as to where the damned plane was, or in this case planes were, and again crew changes, and blah, blah, blah. Some comfort in knowing the pilots were PISSED, and were assured by the pilots that they'd be breaking the speed limit. In fact, they did.

This year, we're leaving a day earlier, spending the night in Houston, landing in COZ at around 2:15 pm. With the hotel, it's going to cost me about $100.00 more, but I'm hoping to avoid a 2 1/2 hour tip from CUN to the island, and over 10 hours in IAH.

Just checked Southwest's operating statistics. It would have to plan for an average load factor of 86% or greater for a minimum of 8-10 takeoffs and landings each day to justify flying into Cozumel. Does anyone think that is reasonable to expect for Cozumel?
I certainly hope not! :D

what would you say is the average time from Cancun airport to arriving at Cozumel ferry dock and the reverse direction?
How late an arrival into Cancun would you consider staying at a hotel in downtown Cancun?
Is your preference the ADO bus or private van to Playa? Back to Cancun?
I think from LAX we may start doing the "bag drag".

Making the bag drag part of your itinerary greatly improves the experience. For trips of 5 days or greater, I recommend taking the ADO or a hotel-specific shuttle to playa (about 1 hour) and staying there 1-2 nights on your way in, which allows you to take advantage of the cenote diving on the mainland. From there, take the ferry to cozumel and a taxi or hotel shuttle to wherever you're staying. On the reverse trip, I recommend taking either the MayAir puddlejumper back to Cancun (63 USD 1-way, about 35 USD more than combined cost of ADO and UltraMar ferry), or repeating the process in reverse and potentially grabbing a few more cenote dives on your way out, depending on how much time you have.

Today i checked for one way CZM to Houston (IAH) on United Sept. 30. $338. Cancun to Houston (IAH) $107. Why does United hate Divers?

Dave

Today i checked for one way CZM to Houston (IAH) on United Sept. 30. $338. Cancun to Houston (IAH) $107. Why does United hate Divers?

Dave
United doesn't hate divers. It hates airlines like Southwest, Sun Country, and Spirit, which force it to compete based upon price on flights to Cancun (but not to Cozumel).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom