Cancun to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity - why is it called the 'bag drag' ?

Because you have to carry (drag) your luggage from CUN to your chosen conveyance, to Playa del Carmen, to the ferry, to transportation on Cozumel.

As has been stated, it's really not hard, but does add about 2 1/2 hours to your trip.

I'm not sure where some of the quoted prices are coming from, but the last time I looked the ADO bus was $190 MX which right now is about $10 US. Ferry prices vary but I don't think I've ever paid more than the equivalent of around $8.50 US. I always pay with pesos and it's always cheaper than paying with US dollars. If there are only two of you then the ADO bus is probably most economical. If there are four of you then getting a taxi or shuttle van would make sense. I think the ADO tickets at the airport have assigned seats but so far nobody seems to care much which seat they are in.

Depending upon which terminal you land at, you go out the door to the ADO bus. If it is your first time and you're not sure which way to go, there is usually a ADO stand inside the terminal just before you exit where you can buy your tickets and ask for directions. I did this the first time and they hauled my luggage to the bus so it cost an extra 50 pesos for a tip. The bus stops at the Playa bus terminal so you can't get lost. You walk South a block or so and you will see the ferry dock and lots of people trying to sell you a ferry ticket. I walk past those first ones until I get to the dock and the official ticket booths which will have departure times and prices displayed. Sometimes one will be a lot cheaper than the other. Sometimes one might be leaving a little sooner so you may have to decide. I have paid as little as 80 pesos for the ferry, which is about $4.25 US. I also noticed that the people in the streets heading to the ferry seem accustomed to rolling luggage, just like at an airport and it's easy to negotiate through the crowds..

As was mentioned, once you get off the ferry you walk to the street and there will be lots of taxis lined up waiting for you. If you are staying in San Miguel it might cost 60-80 pesos unless they raised their prices since last December.

I'm not sure where some of the quoted prices are coming from,

Sometimes hats, sometimes the internet, sometimes who knows, but not because they know.

If there are only two of you then the ADO bus is probably most economical. If there are four of you then getting a taxi or shuttle van would make sense.

Yes

I think the ADO tickets at the airport have assigned seats but so far nobody seems to care much which seat they are in.

Nobody cares, until they do, and then watch out:), but you're right, nobody usually cares.

The bus stops at the Playa bus terminal so you can't get lost. You walk South a block or so

For first timers, I'd suggest waling out to 5th, (the street in front of the busses, continue south on 5th to the end, then turn left and go to the bottom of the hill to the ferry dock.

and you will see the ferry dock and lots of people trying to sell you a ferry ticket. I walk past those first ones until I get to the dock and the official ticket booths

Yes. the shills will try to convince you that they'll save you money. They won't.

Sometimes one will be a lot cheaper than the other.

Yes, the booths are very close to one another. Check the price of both lines. At the end of June, 1st part of July, Mexico Water Jets was significantly cheaper on all 6 one-way trips that we took.

PS Sorry, I don't know how to post the sort of reply that I posted without things getting hidden.

I would think that the exact prices are not all that important.

OK here's a question for the experts. I'm "dragging" tomorrow from Coz to CUN and have a 4:20 PM flight out of T3.

I'm traveling solo so I will take the ADO bus from PDC - no real financial benefit of ride pooling.

I've studied the ferry and ADO schedules and can't decide whether I will be OK taking the noon ferry or whether I need to take the 11:00 AM ferry from Coz to PDC,.

Any thoughts?

I actually rather enjoy the bag drag. For me, I rarely if ever pay for airfare and you can get much better times going in/out of CUN. I also like having the driver pull over for a 6 pack to enjoy with the wife on the drive down. Something that has been illegal in my state for decades. I'm also one of those people that enjoys the ferry trip, but I can't even explain why, I just do. If I take an early flight from DFW to CUN, by the time I do the bag drag, it's time to check into the hotel.

OK here's a question for the experts. I'm "dragging" tomorrow from Coz to CUN and have a 4:20 PM flight out of T3.

I'm traveling solo so I will take the ADO bus from PDC - no real financial benefit of ride pooling.

I've studied the ferry and ADO schedules and can't decide whether I will be OK taking the noon ferry or whether I need to take the 11:00 AM ferry from Coz to PDC,.

Any thoughts?
I am not an expert but if it were me I would be on the ferry no later than 11. Are you planning on buying your bus ticket in Cozumel or waiting and getting it at the station in Playa? Sometimes there is a long line at the bus station. You could always hang out at the plaza by the bus station and people watch if you get there too early.

Any thoughts?

If everything goes right, a noon ferry will be ok but you are skating on razor thin margins. The big risk factor is a major accident on the lone highway to Cancun. I once missed a flight that I thought I had allowed ample margin because the hour bus ride took over three hours. I would take the 11am ferry or maybe even the 10am ferry then once in PDC check google traffic. It reports for that highway and if you see a ny blips of red, go get on the bus right away. Otherwise, if it's all green you can do a bit of shopping or have lunch and get a 1:00pm bus.

There's only one highway, no back roads alternatives. If the highway is jammed up, a taxi will not get you there much faster than the bus.You might save 10-15 minutes in going direct to your terminal versus making the rounds on the bus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom