Cancun to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you trawl this subforum for "bag drag" you will find many threads on this subject. FWIW, I know of no single transport company who will get you all the way from the CUN airport to your CZM hotel. The tradeoff for the money you save by flying into CUN is the task of getting yourself from CUN to CZM and back.

This sums it up best. (Another cold day in hell, eh Gordon?) It's not a difficult process but you have to do it yourself, and there is a wealth of info here on how to do it. If someone offered a service to hold your hands the whole way they would have to charge you for it and the you've probably defeated the whole point of saving money.

I sometimes gather info. over time on places I hope to hit or hit again someday. The bag drag topic interests me, so I've been collecting resources. Since the option of digging up old threads came up, perhaps I can save someone some leg work. Here's my compilation:

From the U.S., you can fly directly to Cozumel, or to Cancun and catch a ferry (a process called the ‘bag drag’ that’s often cheaper but can be more hassle). Some threads discussing the bag drag – Bit the Bullet…First Bag Drag (Aug. 2017), Cancun to Cozumel Bag Drag (Jan. 2017; DjDiverDan linked us a video tour), Have a Flight Into Cancun but want to stay in Cozumel (June 2017), Bag Drag Question (Feb. 2017), Cozumel Trip Report, Late May – Early June 2017 (Post #71, Ironborn’s experience), How Much Time to Bag Drag back to Cancun (Dec. 2016), Late Evening/Early Morning Bag Drag (Oct. 2016). I liked Blue Steal’s explanation on time, cost and steps involved in a bag drag example (Post #3 – Heading back to Cozumel in Sept. or Oct….gasp!). In Southwest into Cancun (May 2018), Trailboss123 (Post #5) noted the option to use Playa Del Carmen Tours ((esp. for small groups) – he walks out of the terminal to a smiling face with his name on a placard and goes to a waiting private van), Dave Dillehay (Post #14) explained direct flights to Cancun may be better than connecting from hubs (e.g.: Atlanta, DFW or Houston) to Cozumel besides the cost difference; further discussion in the March 2018 thread Why the Cancun Bag Drag still makes sense (see Reefhound’s summary Post #51). For a simple, 2 ½ minute video intro. to the bag drag, check out Scuba Tony’s Oct. 2012 You Tube video.

Hope I got all the hyperlinks copied & pasted properly.

Richard.

A few days ago on the way back, i.e. Playa del Carmen to Cancun airport, there was a line at the ADO bus terminal so I decided to go with the guys organizing collectivos right outside the door to the bus terminal. My wife had done the same a week previously. A collectivo is a taxi that you share with other folks headed to the same place, in this case the Cancun airport. In my case there were four of us. They drop you at whatever terminal your flight goes to.
The fare was 200 pesos(plus tip if you give it), i.e. 10 more pesos(about 50 cents) than the bus. We left in the collectivo about 5 minutes after I arrived at the bus station, so there was no wait to buy a ticket or for the bus to depart, assuming the next bus had seats available. It was faster than the bus, i.e. about 45 minutes. Cozumel to Cancun airport took about 2 hours. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
I don't believe they have this super-easy/cheap collectivo system from Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen ferry/ADO bus terminal for some reason. But not really sure.
Pluses for the bus are a more comfortable seat and bathroom on board and 10 pesos and no tip cheaper.

Good grief guys, thank you all for being so helpful. Scubaboard never ceases to amaze me.

A few days ago on the way back, i.e. Playa del Carmen to Cancun airport, there was a line at the ADO bus terminal so I decided to go with the guys organizing collectivos right outside the door to the bus terminal. My wife had done the same a week previously. A collectivo is a taxi that you share with other folks headed to the same place, in this case the Cancun airport.
Sounds like a good alternative to ADO, provided the collectivo wait time is fairly short. How's the luggage space in their vehicles?

The bag drag is easier than it sounds. Piece of cake.

Sounds like a good alternative to ADO, provided the collectivo wait time is fairly short. How's the luggage space in their vehicles?
I only waited about 5 minutes. He put both my bags in the trunk of his car with the other people's baggage. I guess luggage space varies driver to driver.

A few days ago on the way back, i.e. Playa del Carmen to Cancun airport, there was a line at the ADO bus terminal so I decided to go with the guys organizing collectivos right outside the door to the bus terminal. My wife had done the same a week previously. A collectivo is a taxi that you share with other folks headed to the same place, in this case the Cancun airport. In my case there were four of us. They drop you at whatever terminal your flight goes to.
The fare was 200 pesos(plus tip if you give it), i.e. 10 more pesos(about 50 cents) than the bus. We left in the collectivo about 5 minutes after I arrived at the bus station, so there was no wait to buy a ticket or for the bus to depart, assuming the next bus had seats available. It was faster than the bus, i.e. about 45 minutes. Cozumel to Cancun airport took about 2 hours. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
I don't believe they have this super-easy/cheap collectivo system from Cancun airport to Playa del Carmen ferry/ADO bus terminal for some reason. But not really sure.
Pluses for the bus are a more comfortable seat and bathroom on board and 10 pesos and no tip cheaper.
Thanks for the info. I was offered a shared taxi for the same price my last time through Cancun. I had hadn't heard about it before so I passed on it and took the bus. The bus was completely full too.

Prices have increased some since this video was put together; however, it’s still very helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom