Cannot find a reason for AOW certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving with someone who feels they have no depth limit may have drawbacks also.
Yup, gets old quickly.
I vividly recall a dive trip to the Banda Islands a few years ago where a couple of German divers were notorious for ignoring the DM's plan and doing whatever they wanted, hiding their dive computers immediately after surfacing.
By day 2, off Karang Hatta the DM demanded to see their computers and gauges... they went to 60m+ on an single 12L tank to reach a ledge where they could sit and look down into the black abyss of the 5900m Banda Trench, surfacing with around 20BAR each..!
This led to a heated exchange with the DM about safety standards.
The diver's position was "If I go into a bar and buy a bottle of beer, I don't drink two-thirds and hand the rest back. Same with my air fills."

Different agencies have different standards. The one I taught for has what they called a "loved one standard", which means if you as the instructor would not feel comfortable having this student dive with someone you loved, then you should not certify them, even if they successfully completed the agency's course curriculum.

One common misconception in scuba training is that you are paying for a certification. That is not the case. You're paying for the training. You have to earn the certification.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well-stated. My early training in southern California used the "loved on standard" and I think about this standard throughout my career.

I've been away--you probably got all you need to know. I got mine because at the time & place it was the only way to get out on a boat. The reasons for AOW are simple IMO:
1. You want all charters to say OK to deep dives.
Or
2. You want to pick up a few new skills--ones hopefully that will of use to what kind of diving you do.
Or
3. You want to go the "Pro" route.
Can't think of any other reasons.

Yup, gets old quickly.
I vividly recall a dive trip to the Banda Islands a few years ago where a couple of German divers were notorious for ignoring the DM's plan and doing whatever they wanted, hiding their dive computers immediately after surfacing.
By day 2, off Karang Hatta the DM demanded to see their computers and gauges... they went to 60m+ on an single 12L tank to reach a ledge where they could sit and look down into the black abyss of the 5900m Banda Trench, surfacing with around 20BAR each..!
The diver's position was "If I go into a bar and buy a bottle of beer, I don't drink two-thirds and hand the rest back. Same with my air fills."

I once buddied with a German fellow in Bonaire who was like that. When he asked to buddy with me I told him this was my third dive of the day, and I didn't want to go below 60 feet (we were at a site where doing so didn't make much sense anyway). He agreed. During the briefing the DM also requested that people limit the dive to 60 feet. We got in the water and the guy went charging straight downslope. I followed him down to 90 feet and stopped. He kept going. I watched him continue to descend for a while, then abandoned him and returned to the group at 60 feet. After the dive I asked him what happened. He said he went to the bottom (about 120 feet). The next day he asked if he could buddy with me again. I said no ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, it makes sense that you know what you're dong when it comes to your dives. However, it is nice to say that you can LEGALLY go past 60 feet. Also, there are things that you can do as a rescue diver/dive master that you can't do as just an open water diver. As an example, you can't dive as a volunteer in an aquarium, or at least my local aquarium, until you reach the rank of rescue diver. Plus, other divers will take you more seriously. Keep in mind, I'm 15 and these are just my opinions.
'

Yeah, The LB Aquarium prefers that their volunteers are up and current on their insurance coverage which can be a separate issue from skill and experience which, if your buoyancy control is good enough for their dive superintendant, should be all that is required for that. Ken Kurtis would be the one to verify that statement.

Last edited:
Yup, gets old quickly.

Right, and the next day they'd be sitting in a bar with that beer and not on my boat. You argue with the DM and you're 86'd immediately.

"Your day is over, here's your money back, now get the F out of here, everyone is complaining about the smell of sauerkraut sauce when you two are around anyway"

Personally, I got the AOW because I was a newer diver and had never really been down past 40-50 feet before. I really only did shore dives in the ocean and quarry dives (not that there is anything wrong with the Quarry dives, I enjoy them). My thought process before I did my AOW was that I wanted to experience a 'deep dive' with some DM and Instructors I knew and trusted before I went out on some random boat in the ocean.

Another reason was that it was going to cost me about $90 for some rental gear and tanks (I didn't have my own BCD or regs at the time) to do a weekend worth of diving and for another $100 I could just do the AOW so I thought why not.

OK, so what is the definition of "recreational limits?" Anything that does not include deco dives, cave diving, wreck penetration, and non-OW? Would you call the inclusion of those activities "advanced" or "technical?"

For me it breaks down to "overhead environment" or "mixed gas deco." Neither of which I do.

If you haven't worked out what your bottom is before you get in the water, your dive buddy isn't the problem.

For purely recreational diving I don't bother to work out my bottom time before my first dive of the day. I jump in and follow my computer/gas limits. If either has a problem I just ascend.

Let's not take away the primary benefit and joy of recreational diving. Which is that it doesn't have to be an exercise in how hardcore we are - it's about chilling and having fun without the hassle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom