Canon S90 in Canon WP-DC35 Housing: First impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well, I finally got the Canon housing in for my S90. Now I have to decide if I want to keep it, or exchange it towards the Ikelite housing instead.

Here are my overall impressions:

This housing is better made than I recall from my prior Canon housing, several year ago. Not as sturdy as the Ikelite housing for my S90, but sturdier than I expected, still. As far as I can tell, the main downsides vs. the Ikelite housing are:

(1) Shallower depth rating (130' vs. 200') (on a related note, some Canon housings have had issues with weak springs allowing buttons to become stuck in at depth, but most do not have a problem with this... it remains to be tested for this housing)

(2) You'll need an adapter to add aftermarket lenses (wide angle or macro), and currently Dyron is the only one I've seen, and it ain't cheap (~$100) (I really hope Inon decides to make one, especially an AD adapter)

(3) Legendary Ikelite customer support, vs. the practically infamous lack of any meaningful support from Canon

(4) Ikelite housing is made of sturdier stuff in general.

Upsides:

(1) I was very impressed with the precision fit of all the control dials and rods. All push or turn in the precise place needed. The mode dial turns the top mode dial very positively. I believe it is a thick rubber disk that is compressed against the dial when you close the housing, and thus easily maintains enough grip, regardless of depth, to turn the dial. The left side control for the front control ring has "gears" whose "teeth" positively engage the mode dial, turning it perfectly, and delivering tactile feedback in addition to the on-screen display. Again, it's position will make it impervious to depth issues. The zoom lever is spring-loaded to return to center... significantly, the Ikelite housing is NOT spring loaded, and there is little tactile feedback on the mechanism, and you can't see the control arm from behind the screen since the control is in the front of the camera.

(2) On-board strobe. The diffuser panel actually stands a chance of working, unlike the Ikelite housing. The lens tube is considerably smaller than the Ikelite tube, clear, and the flash clearly extends to a visible location from the front. Based on my experience with other Canon housings, this layout should work relatively well.

(3) Price. The Canon housing is more than $100 less than the Ikelite housing ($175 vs. $300 at current pricing)

Anyway, I have yet to see any photos of the Canon housing online (just the Ikelite one, which shipped first) so I thought I'd take a few and look it over closely, for those trying to decide for themselves which they want to purchase.

The full collection of photos (including higher res versions) can be found here: Canon WP-DC35 Underwater Housing For PowerShot S90 Camera

I hope it's helpful for someone! A few from the collection follow (not my best work, but it shows what it needs to, for an evening spent in front of the television!)

Inside control surface:
Thumb_IMG_1316.JPG

Back panel, showing control labeling moulded into plastic:
Thumb_IMG_1332.JPG

Left side control dial for front ring:
Thumb_IMG_1334.JPG

Top controls (Power, Ring Mode, Zoom lever, Camera Mode):
Thumb_IMG_1335.JPG

Lens at widest position (28mm):
Thumb_IMG_1351.JPG

Flash raised, clearly above lens tube:
Thumb_IMG_1356.JPG

Housing with Flash diffuser in place:
Thumb_IMG_1359.JPG

More photos and higher res versions linked above. Enjoy! (don't forget to scroll down and click to the next page, there are over 30 photos)

I really need to make a decision about this housing, and soon, because I'm dying to start shooting with this camera!

Great job,nice pics ( you never sleep or what ??)
Don' t forget one thing, overseas customers does not pay the tax on the product when shipped abroad ( around 19% i think) so the adapter and WA should be cheaper than the listed price.

Nice report. I wonder what the distance between the lens and the port glass on the Ikelite housing v.s the Canons is. That would a huge deciding factor if I was debating on which housing to purchase. Have you done any testing on "top side" low light performance @ high iso ranges with the S90? If so what do you feel the usable range is "before too much noise starts to appear"?

Many thanks for the photos of the back of the housing. I had been looking for these before i make my decission on whether i buy this camera or not.

Nice report. I wonder what the distance between the lens and the port glass on the Ikelite housing v.s the Canons is. That would a huge deciding factor if I was debating on which housing to purchase. Have you done any testing on "top side" low light performance @ high iso ranges with the S90? If so what do you feel the usable range is "before too much noise starts to appear"?

For your information the distance on the Ikelite and Canon housing is the same, this information is verified and sure, it's arround 1cm.

That's why the DYRON lens WA20 and WA15 have exactly the same result on this 2 housing without any vignetting on the 2 ones at 28mm base.

That's also why all the other lens of the market all over the world have vignetting on this 2 housing.

Inon cannot realize AD mount for WP-DC35 because the rear of the Inon lens UWL-105AD UWL-10528AD and UFL165AD is too small and have important vignetting on this housing.

And i confirm the overseas order have -20% of tax.

Thank Compude for this precious informations , what a job !!
Could you tell me exactly if when you press the S button and the right or the left side of the wheel in the back of the housing you can change shutter speed with not too much difficulties ?With the Ikelite housing that I did try , it's almost impossible
Can the front control ring turn on all his circumference ?On the Ikelite housing it can't so you can't expect change the shutter speed via the front ring as the range of shutter speed is to wide for the narrow possibilities of the front ring .
I did not kept the Ike housing and sent it back almost immediatly , but I'm like you very impatient to try this camera underwater and wonder if I'm going to take the Canon housing or wait for the Fix one which will be much much more expensive and for whom the add-on-lense compatibility is not yet well established .

Ihope that you will be able to understand my english :D

Could you tell me exactly if when you press the S button and the right or the left side of the wheel in the back of the housing you can change shutter speed with not too much difficulties ?With the Ikelite housing that I did try , it's almost impossible
It's no problem. I played with this very feature a little when I first got the camera into the housing. It's easier than I thought... press the S with the left hand, press up and down with the right.

Admittedly I wasn't wearing gloves at the time. Perhaps I'll try that again when I have a chance. (I also forgot to take a photo with the camera lens in maximum zoom position.)

Can the front control ring turn on all his circumference ?On the Ikelite housing it can't so you can't expect change the shutter speed via the front ring as the range of shutter speed is to wide for the narrow possibilities of the front ring .
Yes, the knob on the left side spins, and the gears engage the "ribbing" on the control dial in the front of the camera. There is no stop, so it will spin in either direction until you get bored. :)

I did not kept the Ike housing and sent it back almost immediatly , but I'm like you very impatient to try this camera underwater and wonder if I'm going to take the Canon housing or wait for the Fix one which will be much much more expensive and for whom the add-on-lense compatibility is not yet well established .

Ihope that you will be able to understand my english :D

C'est tres meilleur que mon français. :wink:

I may keep this housing to use for now, and then upgrade to the Fix housing if and when it becomes available (and after I have time to save up money!), and if it allows better add-on lens options. It is less expensive than the Ikelite, after all, and actually appears to have some better features.

Good write up on the camera. Thanks

Inon made a very nice setup for the S80 housing that allows me to attach the optical cord for my strobe. What appears to be the best way to attach an optical cord to the Canon housing -- not to mention blocking the internal flash.

Also, is there room for a moisture muncher in the Canon housing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom