Can't reliably reach doubles valves....Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. Here is the relevant part:

In the 1950s, when I joined the Royal Navy (RN) as a medical officer, the RN did not use contents gauges for scuba diving. Instead, they used twin tanks yoked together. The tanks were ‘upside down’, with the valves within easy reach just above the diver’s bottom. The diver turned on one cylinder (A) and used it until it ran out; he then knew that he had used half his air. Turning on the second cylinder (B) equalised the pressures in both cylinders and then cylinder B was turned off. At this stage, the diver had used half his available air and was breathing from half the remaining half. When that air ran out, he still had a quarter of his original air supply in cylinder B. At this point, the diver turned off cylinder A and used cylinder B to return to the surface. This procedure was still in use in 1972.

I hadn’t seen commercially available doubles manifolds available in the US that supported the technique until the current isolation manifolds came to market. They always had more modular and better designed manifolds than the US. Thanks for the heads up. It was probably in the late 1970s when I learned about it.

Sidemount or rebreather...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom