Cat islands Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the gripping hand I believe they need 4 or more takers to pay for the gas etc., so even if you sign up for one of the big trips, they may not go.

Yes, I forgot about this. If you are set on doing it, give yourself a few days to play around with schedules and options. We ended up having enough to go but we were in the area for a bit and were flexible.

I have emailed Bobbie Jo. He said based on experience they may skip the checkout dive. We will see how the conditions are and make the call when we arrive.

I just thought I should mention that Bobbie Jo is a lady, hence the name Sirenas. The Sirens were beautiful but dangerous creatures from Greek mythology that lured the sailors with their beautiful voices to their doom... Or it can be simply interpreted as "mermaids." The second choice is probably safer :wink:

I just thought I should mention that Bobbie Jo is a lady, hence the name Sirenas. The Sirens were beautiful but dangerous creatures from Greek mythology that lured the sailors with their beautiful voices to their doom... Or it can be simply interpreted as "mermaids." The second choice is probably safer :wink:
Oops.

Yes, I forgot about this. If you are set on doing it, give yourself a few days to play around with schedules and options. We ended up having enough to go but we were in the area for a bit and were flexible.

And the other other thing, repeating the marketing blurb, is that Rocket Frogs have a RIB w/ twin 150s and another one w/ twin 250s that can make it to Bat in under an hour and to Cats: in under 30 minutes.

The viz, as explained to me from a local DM was somewhat dependent on California rainfall. When we dove, Cali was in a draught and viz was 100 +. Warmer too.....with the massive amount of rainfall Cali saw this year, I'd be interested to see if this tale is true, or not?

Some places at anchor you can look down and see the bottom 10-20 metres below, but when you get down there, it varies from maybe 15 metres all the way down to I'd say 5. It certainly nowhere near 100+ right now. Half that at best and mostly like a third to a quarter. :(

Whenever I travel and wherever I go it seems I always find something new and great to eat. In Costa Rica it was fried plantains, Lizano salsa, and the coffee. I have had fried plantains in other places but not like the ones in Costa Rica. You are likely to find a bottle of Lizano on the table in many restaurants and I recommend buying several bottles at a grocery store to bring home. All of the coffee that I had was great so I can't recommend any specific brand but I think it was Arabica style that I brought home and especially liked.

So I see las Sirenas says children need to be 14 and have an advanced cert. My son is 12 he has almost 50 dives in various conditions from cold low viz to current. He is a very good clam diver. Flyboy08 you said it seemed pretty calm. Any other insite on the conditions. The other Rocket Frog did not have this restriction.

Catalina is not too rough but can have a strong surge. with us we take divers starting at 12 years with experience; soyes your son would qualify. under 12 is not possible due to depth restrictions. I do however always receommend to do a local dive first. :) you can always contact us if you want more info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom