Cat islands Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skb

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I am going on a family trip to tamarindo Costa Rica in August. I have one dive day scheduled for us. Should we do Cat islands and do you have any dive op recommendations?

I'm watching the replies to this, since we're doing a family trip to CR in December and ending in Tamarindo for a day of diving. We were told that Catalinas weren't appropriate for the less experienced divers in our group. I may try to squeeze in a trip to Catalinas by myself after a milder dive with the rest of the crew. Rocket Frog divers seems to get lots of solid reviews, but they are a decent drive up from Tamarindo. I was hoping for dive ops right in Tamarindo.

Yes, we dove Cat island. In fact, my sig pic was taken on one of those dives. We stayed and went out of Flamingo. Short ride to the rock out crops for diving....if your there, you got to dive it. Think we did 6 dives, maybe 8?

I experienced nothing that would prevent new divers to dive the Cat area? We lucked out with warm water and great viz for the time of year we went....December 2015.

We love Tamarindo/Flamingo area....we chose to stay in Flamingo this time as it's a bit more sedate than Tamarindo...we stayed in Tamarindo a decade ago....yes, it's changed some.

So I see las Sirenas says children need to be 14 and have an advanced cert. My son is 12 he has almost 50 dives in various conditions from cold low viz to current. He is a very good clam diver. Flyboy08 you said it seemed pretty calm. Any other insite on the conditions. The other Rocket Frog did not have this restriction.

There was nothing that would have prevented a newly minted diver to dive imho.

So I see las Sirenas says children need to be 14 and have an advanced cert. My son is 12 he has almost 50 dives in various conditions from cold low viz to current. He is a very good clam diver. Flyboy08 you said it seemed pretty calm. Any other insite on the conditions. The other Rocket Frog did not have this restriction.

Is that requirement specifically for diving the Cats? Once again, for what it's worth I was there either last August or September and the weather was very calm (Costa Rica) but I did not dive the Cats. I did the "local" dive and IMO it was suitable for a new diver unless they might get spooked by all of the large green morays, spotted eagle rays, and eight foot white-tips etc. It was also very humid and I felt like I should have carried a small towel with me everywhere. Rocket Frog seemed to have a good reputation too.

We originally asked a travel agent in Costa Rica to arrange a day of diving specifically at the Catalinas, and whichever dive op he contacted required a log book with proof of at least 30 dives to dive the Cats (which excludes 2 members of our group.) OTOH, when I contacted Rocket Frog directly they said it wouldn't be a problem. I'm sure it depends greatly on the conditions at the Cats on a given day.

Here's what another dive op has to say on their website:

Catalina Island dive sites and trips at Deep Blue Diving Adventures in Costa Rica

"These dive sites are more advanced due to surge, stronger currents and rougher surface conditions. The Catalina Islands are non anchored dives, thus reserved for more advanced divers, used to drift and deep dives. Divers need to be able to make a quick descent and make the safety stop without a line."

I can imagine things going sideways in a hurry for a inexperienced diver if there's current and some wave action. But I've love to dive the Cats with the kids, if the conditions are good.

We dove with Pacific Coast Dive Center in Flamingo...it was more docile than Coz drift diving, but your experience may vary based on weather as with any given day....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom