Cat islands Costa Rica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's where Google Earth put them. Maybe their sign said kilometers and not meters. Or maybe they moved and left the sign there. Now I have to go back and look again. Darn.

Shucks..., having to go back to CR. You have my condolences and envy.

Shucks..., having to go back to CR. You have my condolences and envy.

Please don't feel too sorry for me :wink: I would actually like to do the same dives again with Sirenas. We did three wrecks, lots of great critters, and this time I'd like to get some video of the white tips and eagle rays. The last time my camera crapped out on the first dive. I just won't stay in a huge complex again and hope the flight goes better.

Please don't feel too sorry for me :wink: I would actually like to do the same dives again with Sirenas. We did three wrecks, lots of great critters, and this time I'd like to get some video of the white tips and eagle rays. The last time my camera crapped out on the first dive. I just won't stay in a huge complex again and hope the flight goes better.

I loved the villas we rented in Playa del Coco. Three bedroom, two bath about as close to the beach as you can get.

I loved the villas we rented in Playa del Coco. Three bedroom, two bath about as close to the beach as you can get.

We picked Playa Hermosa because it is supposedly quieter there plus my girlfriend was able to do a timeshare exchange at Club Condovac. We decided we don't want to stay any place ever again where you have to wear an armband.

What was Playas del Coco like?

I will 2nd Rocker Frog Divers. Michael, the owner, is awesome (and hilarious)! They have a new dive shop now that is super fancy.

I dove Cats and Bats with them as well as local diving - we did 3-4 consecutive days of diving with them. I will say Cats and Bats are better for experienced divers - the surface conditions and current was no joke. It may have been luck of the draw weather wise but we were there in mid to late November. The swells on the surface were the largest I have encountered on a dive boat. Given this, we did negative entries and got the heck down. There was a bit of surge and then some really gnarly current. Suck air! At one point, the combo of swells and currents throw me from 35 feet to 15 feet and my dive computer freaked out on me (my ascent rate).

It was one of the most challenging dives I've had to date but I will tell you the craziness is SO worth the giant Pacific mantas we saw! It was incredible and I think about it often.

Oh, also....the boat couldn't moor because of all this current and surge so we did a safety stop in the blue with this surge and swells. I'm pretty sure my face was green - Michael was making funny faces at me then he realized I was not feeling well. I kept it together, thankfully!

I will 2nd Rocker Frog Divers. Michael, the owner, is awesome (and hilarious)! They have a new dive shop now that is super fancy.

+3 for Rocket Frogs.

We were on the Bat with the dissatisfied Brit form the other thread, the water's calm right now but the vis is less than stellar. There are surges and sharp-ish thermoclines, but nothing super difficult. Main attractions didn't show up, that's a bit of a bummer considering.

Update: there is a spot on Catalinas where there's a narrow channel that can have a bit of a surge. As in my buddy and I got some scratches: we were too close to one wall, and our DM who was close to the other wall had his tank knocked out. I can see the op wanting to assess your skills before they take you into that channel.

Again, the main problem was that mantas didn't get the memo. So I would consider a 3-tank local dive with Rocket Frogs instead of the longer and more expensive trips to Cats or Bats.

On the gripping hand I believe they need 4 or more takers to pay for the gas etc., so even if you sign up for one of the big trips, they may not go.

I have emailed Bobbie Jo. He said based on experience they may skip the checkout dive. We will see how the conditions are and make the call when we arrive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom