Cavern vs. Cave Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would put this: "When it comes to the different levels people believe you need to dive a particular site, and you cut through the "politics", It comes down to the rules."

this way:" When it comes to the different levels people believe you need to dive a particular site, and you cut through the "politics", It comes down to logic reason and experience.

I could go with that..:D

Are you being for real? Neither of those divers should be anywhere near the Eagles Nest. Twist it how you want, any diver with a total dive count of less than 50, whether they are at Ginnie, Peacock or in the Gulf has any business in the Eagles Nest.

Why is 50 such a magic number?

I can understand that some dive sites require more refined skill sets, but how do we set a number. is it 100 dives for Eagles nest, 250. I'll assume your an experienced diver and as such I'm sure you've seen plenty of seasoned divers with 100+ dives under their belt that looked like they just got their C-cards. I once heard a story (can't verify) that an instructor candidate racked up the last few dives of the required 100 required dives to be an instructor by sitting on the bottom for 20 minutes, surfacing for 20 minutes, then going back down for 20 minutes. So what do the number of dives he has mean?

And how much of what your asking for is based in true concern for the diver as opposed to concern that someone will end up a fatality and then they'll close the site.

What I'm saying is that you need to evaluate the diver, not the number.

And how much of what your asking for is based in true concern for the diver as opposed to concern that someone will end up a fatality and then they'll close the site.

I can't speak for others, but I AM concerned for other divers, the closing of a site with reference to a fatality had not crossed and lingered in my mind until it was mentioned twice in this thread.

As for evaluating the diver, you are absolutely spot on. A divers who bails on the other(s) in a spree of panic even though they have 100's of dives does not belong alongside a buddy who may need to depend on them. I think the skills are important, but FAR more important is mindset. The issues that one does not leave a cavern buddy behind to venture further as OP mentioned, the issue of (progressively) 'pushing' a cavern diver into the cave. It seems self absorbed and that mystery 'buddy' is going to push someone too far too soon......

Why is 50 such a magic number?

50 is not a magic number. The OP shows a total lifetime dive count of 24-49 so I rounded and gave her the benefit and called it 50.

I agree that numbers don't mean everything, but to say that someone who is cavern certified and has a total dive count (not cavern dives) of less than 50 dives should be allowed to dive Eagles Nest is a load of crap.

As for my reading of your profile being sad - so be it. But when someone comes here and there 1st post to the site is telling a cavern diver with a total lifetime dive count of less than 50 that they can dive the Eagles Nest sends up the BS flag so I was curious as to your training.

He is just a lone ranger out to fight injustice and all the cave tools who are interfering with the god given right to buck common sense and recklessly endanger yourself and others at Eagle's Nest.

Desperadooooooooo, why don't you come to your seeeeeenses?

On side note:

While I am participating in this thread, I would like to ask to keep things civil and let's be careful this does not degrade into something the Mod's have to attend to.

He is just a lone ranger out to fight injustice and all the cave tools who are interfering with the god given right to buck common sense and recklessly endanger yourself and others at Eagle's Nest.

Desperadooooooooo, why don't you come to your seeeeeenses?

I like that:D I think I'll put it in my profile! except for the eagles nest part, you should be able to do that at all sites

On side note:

While I am participating in this thread, I would like to ask to keep things civil and let's be careful this does not degrade into something the Mod's have to attend to.

Understood.

I still say this is an accident waiting to happen.

The OP has no "God given right" to dive the Nest anymore than someone has the right to commit suicide, which is essentially what diving with her "buddy" will be regardless of the site chosen.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom