Cayman Brac "kinda" live blog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterspout off to the south.

Attachments

• IMG_4066.JPG
    IMG_4066.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 49
GCM was surprisingly easy today. The Saab was on time and when we swung around to check baggage at American Airlines there was no line! Security line was about 10 minutes with both scanners actually working. Our flight out of GCM pushed back about 20 minutes early. Easiest Saturday afternoon I've had there during high season in a long time.

Tibbet's has everything you need. There is an electronic store, multiple variety stores, multiple bars, 2 big grocery stores, plenty of different restaurants and Cayman air and DHL deliver goods from Grand and the States. Thompson's and Hybur ship the big stuff. 3 beer stores and some barbers, beauticians, cloth stores and a water store. Faith Hospital has a recompression facility and Miami is an hour emergency flight for serious problems. There is a vet, humane society and high speed internet and cable tv. Also many organized sports like Volleyball, basketball and some tennis courts with lights at BRR. Multiple churches of different denominations and a synagogue.

So I am somewhat surprised people consider it a "barren" Island.

Vincent54: Thanks for the info. Funny thing is, I never read anybody talking about much of any of that. I suspect the impression I wrongly intuited was a mix of Cayman Brac being painted as this quaint, laid back place not so corrupted by civilization as yet, and the fact many visitors head to an A.I. resort and may not feel much need to do a lot of shopping.

Compare that to Cozumel or Bonaire discussions, where people spend a lot of time talking about off-grounds restaurant food and where to buy groceries.

What you describe sounds a lot more workable.

Richard.

Another beautiful dive at King's Point yesterday. The locals said we were very lucky to get two days in up there! Today we start the arduous task of flying through GCM. On the advice of KathyV, we dropped our big bags off at the airport last night so they could hitch a ride on the 737 this morning. I think the wife and I have decided to try a long term rental or two before taking the plunge into home ownership. Of course, now is a good time to buy. I'm sure it will be quite the opposite later...but always seems to be the case for us.

I think your plan of trying a long term rental first prior to purchasing, is a great idea! My husband and I had traveled here to GC for years before taking the leap. It will give you a bit more insight to living on an island. I wish I could tell you all my epic adventures were of the enjoyable variety. There is rarely "one stop shopping"here on the island. Purchases can sometimes require a 6-10 week wait for goods, other than the "food" variety, if it's not in stock. If your lucky, they will have some other than the floor model / scratch and dent/only available. I doubt many vacationers have had to find a refrigerator , to fit in an existing space, during Christmas week, or parts to repair a broken toilet.
Don't forget, most everything you ship from the states, gets hit with a duty, 20 some odd percent, of not only the value of the item, but the shipping cost as well. If you use a freight forwarder, they also tack on a fee. Talk to folks on Grand Cayman that were here during and living n the aftermath of Ivan. Some of the most populated areas of 7 mile beach, were without power for a minimum of 2 months. Hurricanes are always a threat. What you might save in real estate taxes, you pay in insurance.

Talk to residents, those that own, and are from the states. They have the experience and insight of living on an island. Its a far different one than that of a vacationer I sincerely don't mean to offend anyone here on the forum by saying so. My thoughts would have been far different even after vacationing, renting long term, than owning.

I love the island, the people, the climate, the diving. The right time to buy, is when your ready and well informed, regardless of the market.

Cindy

I think your plan of trying a long term rental first prior to purchasing, is a great idea! My husband and I had traveled here to GC for years before taking the leap. It will give you a bit more insight to living on an island. I wish I could tell you all my epic adventures were of the enjoyable variety. There is rarely "one stop shopping"here on the island. Purchases can sometimes require a 6-10 week wait for goods, other than the "food" variety, if it's not in stock. If your lucky, they will have some other than the floor model / scratch and dent/only available. I doubt many vacationers have had to find a refrigerator , to fit in an existing space, during Christmas week, or parts to repair a broken toilet.
Don't forget, most everything you ship from the states, gets hit with a duty, 20 some odd percent, of not only the value of the item, but the shipping cost as well. If you use a freight forwarder, they also tack on a fee. Talk to folks on Grand Cayman that were here during and living n the aftermath of Ivan. Some of the most populated areas of 7 mile beach, were without power for a minimum of 2 months. Hurricanes are always a threat. What you might save in real estate taxes, you pay in insurance.

Talk to residents, those that own, and are from the states. They have the experience and insight of living on an island. Its a far different one than that of a vacationer I sincerely don't mean to offend anyone here on the forum by saying so. My thoughts would have been far different even after vacationing, renting long term, than owning.

I love the island, the people, the climate, the diving. The right time to buy, is when your ready and well informed, regardless of the market.

Cindy

Wow. Great post.

My guide to homes in Brac

No duty on your building materials. Buy a lot and build what you want. 2 x 40 foot containers should hold all materials for a house. 8 grand to ship both. Easy. Then you can build what you want and where you want. Lowes and Home Depot ship out of Miami. No tax on things going out of country.

Everything rots on the island, wood, metal, plastic. You get use to it. With the new building codes, your home has a good chance to survive a hurricane.
And don't use drywall, or buy a house with drywall in the tropics, you'll have a moldy mess. Hardiplank has cement board for interior use that has no paper. That way you don't have to run an ac to dehumidify the house. I have a good nose for mold and even the new brr has that subtle oder.

Brac electricity is the most expensive in the world. Period. Generators run from diesel. Insulation is critical.

Basic house is what they are building on coastal North Carolina. Pressure treated wood, hurricane ties from top to bottom, wind rated roofing, and a cement exterior siding. Budget hurricane shutters , which means don't put an excess of windows, doors open out . Cement block walls are strong, but you still have to insulate unless you want a high ac bill . Finally, simplify landscaping. Rats everywhere and they love anything with fruits or nuts. Keep the the shrubbery to a minimum. Oh I forgot, untreated lumber will be consumed by the billions of termites.

I talked to locals and usually end up doing it my way. .I'm use to Michigan,where we know how to build things proper Cheers and good luck.

Vincent54: Thanks for the info. Funny thing is, I never read anybody talking about much of any of that. I suspect the impression I wrongly intuited was a mix of Cayman Brac being painted as this quaint, laid back place not so corrupted by civilization as yet, and the fact many visitors head to an A.I. resort and may not feel much need to do a lot of shopping.

Compare that to Cozumel or Bonaire discussions, where people spend a lot of time talking about off-grounds restaurant food and where to buy groceries.

What you describe sounds a lot more workable.

Richard.
What you are describing sounds more like Little Cayman. I think sometimes the Sister Islands get lumped in together and described as kind of a single entity, but they really are quite different in character despite being very close to each other. Little Cayman is exactly what you described...very quiet, quaint, uncorrupted for the most part, and not much in the way of shopping or entertainment options. Cayman Brac is a bit more cosmopolitan than that, but not quite to the level of larger islands like GC or Bonaire.

Bruce, who posts here as ZF2NT somewhat infrequently, built a house on Little Cayman by hand and documented it on a blog way back when. I don't know if he still has the postings online anywhere, but it was a very long and detailed (but entertaining) look at the challenges of building on a remote island as an ex-pat. He would be a good resource for things to think about when building and/or living in the sister islands, although his experience on LC might not translate directly to CB.

@releck97 , Brac Shack has a Shore Diving guide which may tell distances to some of the wall dives from shore. We are arriving end of March and looking forward to our 3rd year shore diving their sites, hoping for good shore diving weather. (My profile photo is one of Bracs sites). Looking forward to your posts. Happy Bubbles!

:clearmask:

@releck97 , Brac Shack has a Shore Diving guide which may tell distances to some of the wall dives from shore. We are arriving end of March and looking forward to our 3rd year shore diving their sites, hoping for good shore diving weather. (My profile photo is one of Bracs sites). Looking forward to your posts. Happy Bubbles!

@Flutter, so you have dived Radar Reef and Atlantis! We have been to Brac several times but never made it there. Is the site worth it? It seems like a good photo opportunity at least.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom