Cayman Brac "kinda" live blog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cayman Brac sounds like a great place to visit, but a pretty dead place to live. Are you pretty low maintenance? Or is frequent airfare not an obstacle?

Richard.
Hourly flights work perfectly for us!

The restaurant and bar/pool are open for business. I go there instead of BRR, staff is awesome and the little bar has excellent food. I don't look at the prices, just give them a credit card. Wife stays and relaxes and I dive public beach. Always see sharks on the wall. Dive ops rarely venture to the eastern walls. At least when I'm on the boat!!

That's good to know, thanks!

Cayman Brac sounds like a great place to visit, but a pretty dead place to live. Are you pretty low maintenance? Or is frequent airfare not an obstacle?

Richard.

When I was there recently, I thought similar. I biked around the island. To me it seemed like the ideal place to have a cottage. I did have the instinct to investigate into it fitting my retirement plan, but came to the conclusion that Brac is a great place to visit, even for months at a time, but to live there would be too isolated for me. They have some pretty significant problems with food supply as well from what I learned. Grand Cayman, on the other hand...

Well, I think the people on Brac are wonderful to be around. It's the ideal place to live. In terms of things to do, spearfish, fish from the shore, fish from a boat, rock climb, ride a bike, hike, look for treasure, find someone to take you waterskiing, paddle board,borrow a jet ski, swim to little cayman, spend the day bone fishing over in LC, eat coconuts, swim for lobster and conch, hunt green iguanas, catch the rats, visit the dump, go to Tibbet's, buy Vodka, windsurf, climb little cayman brac and jump in, relax and watch Boobies, adopt a rock iguana, look for bats in the caves, find an Orchid, find tons of octopus and morays at night in the tide pools, and that's the first week. Oh, forgot about the awesome diving Best life ever!!

Well, I think the people on Brac are wonderful to be around. It's the ideal place to live. In terms of things to do, spearfish, fish from the shore, fish from a boat, rock climb, ride a bike, hike, look for treasure, find someone to take you waterskiing, paddle board,borrow a jet ski, swim to little cayman, spend the day bone fishing over in LC, eat coconuts, swim for lobster and conch, hunt green iguanas, catch the rats, visit the dump, go to Tibbet's, buy Vodka, windsurf, climb little cayman brac and jump in, relax and watch Boobies, adopt a rock iguana, look for bats in the caves, find an Orchid, find tons of octopus and morays at night in the tide pools, and that's the first week. Oh, forgot about the awesome diving Best life ever!!

Sounds pretty sweet. What are there in terms of social activity on the island?

When I was there recently, I thought similar. I biked around the island. To me it seemed like the ideal place to have a cottage. I did have the instinct to investigate into it fitting my retirement plan, but came to the conclusion that Brac is a great place to visit, even for months at a time, but to live there would be too isolated for me. They have some pretty significant problems with food supply as well from what I learned. Grand Cayman, on the other hand...
I have friends that live on the Brac, They moved there some 9 years ago wanting to escape the hustle and bustle of GC, having seen major changes throughout their life here. He is a native Caymanian. His wife's biggest complaint, is the food supply. Not only is there lack of selection, but the poor quality, especially of produce available .Prices are higher even than what we pay here on GC, and you need to pay close attention to expiration dates, whether it be can goods or dairy items.
You were very fortunate to have been on the island during as relatively quiet weather week , the last couple days have shown what it can be. Havent been to the grocery yet today, but betting shelves have low stock here of produce and dairy, and the Brac will even be worse. I would have no issue with the quiet nature of the island.
but you do need to be aware of one of the negatives you endure to enjoy paradise.:)
Coming from someone who dives regularly, owns property and spends significant time on GC.

Cindy
PS. We have no cuttlefish in the Caribbean, squid, yes.:)

I have friends that live on the Brac, They moved there some 9 years ago wanting to escape the hustle and bustle of GC, having seen major changes throughout their life here. He is a native Caymanian. His wife's biggest complaint, is the food supply. Not only is there lack of selection, but the poor quality, especially of produce available .Prices are higher even than what we pay here on GC, and you need to pay close attention to expiration dates, whether it be can goods or dairy items.
You were very fortunate to have been on the island during as relatively quiet weather week , the last couple days have shown what it can be. Havent been to the grocery yet today, but betting shelves have low stock here of produce and dairy, and the Brac will even be worse. I would have no issue with the quiet nature of the island.
but you do need to be aware of one of the negatives you endure to enjoy paradise.:)
Coming from someone who dives regularly, owns property and spends significant time on GC.

Cindy
PS. We have no cuttlefish in the Caribbean, squid, yes.:)
Sorry about the oops on the cuttlefish. I understand the food supply issue. Barge is delayed until Monday. I guess you just have to plan accordingly.

Sorry about the oops on the cuttlefish. I understand the food supply issue. Barge is delayed until Monday. I guess you just have to plan accordingly.

Yes , and think about what shape the produce/dairy is going to be in after being on a boat in limbo for several days.:) Freezers and stocked pantries are must haves.
I know of many divers that get squid and cuttlefish confused. FWIW our squid, and we have several types, are far more colorful than cuttlefish, other than the Flamboyant that is.

Back
Top Bottom