Cayman Brac "kinda" live blog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry about the oops on the cuttlefish. I understand the food supply issue. Barge is delayed until Monday. I guess you just have to plan accordingly.

If you get the chance, talk to divemaster Barb at Reef Divers. She originally came from Canada but has been living on Brac for many years. She used to work at the old Divi hotel dive shop before it closed and then she moved over to Reef Divers. She married a local and they have raised a daughter on the island. I am sure that she could give you good advice about living on the island and the housing opportunities (And she is very nice, too!)

Another beautiful dive at King's Point yesterday. The locals said we were very lucky to get two days in up there! Today we start the arduous task of flying through GCM. On the advice of KathyV, we dropped our big bags off at the airport last night so they could hitch a ride on the 737 this morning. I think the wife and I have decided to try a long term rental or two before taking the plunge into home ownership. Of course, now is a good time to buy. I'm sure it will be quite the opposite later...but always seems to be the case for us.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions and advice. The Brac is the closest we have found to our idea of paradise (ok, maybe Kauai) that works. Close proximity to family, affordable flights, relaxed lifestyle, little to no crime, etc. I do see us owning a house here sooner than later. We'll probably rent it out on VRBO but use it through much of the winter months.

I guess we missed the balmy weather up north all week. It's supposed to be back in the 20's when we arrive in Syracuse this evening. Brr...

I hope it works out for you, and hope you'll keep us posted. If you're there part of the year, that should be much more tolerable than all year, every year. I love diving, but I'd miss...

1.) Big grocery stores with big selection; does Brac have that?
2.) Walmart of similar 'everything you need' store.
3.) Amazon Prime 2 business day delivery for odds & ends.
4.) Office Max or similar when I want to buy printer toner, etc... NOW.
5.) A good variety of restaurants.

I'm late 40's and have to think ahead to whether I'd want a hospital E.R. trip (e.g.: for chest pain) to require a plane flight.

How does the 'Brac experience' deal with those concerns? Is it less 'barren' than I assume?

Richard.

Holy shnikeys! Dove King's Point this afternoon. Best life on the island. Unfortunately, tons of very mature lionfish...Mammoth Nassau Grouper, bugs, cuttlefish, huge barracuda, etc, but no sharks. Hoping to hit it up at first light tomorrow.

What's the current rule on spearing lionfish? The past several years I've given my camera to the wife and been hunting lionfish in Cozumel, St. Croix, and other places. They're getting pretty hard to find at the usual dive sites in Cozumel, can you take along a sling in Cayman?

Magellan NO you need a license from the DOE ,you need to take a class with them which is not often given and I think they might have stopped issuing to non residents not sure.

Magellan NO you need a license from the DOE ,you need to take a class with them which is not often given and I think they might have stopped issuing to non residents not sure.

Well, that's too bad.... Likely see plenty if that's the case.

Divi from my kayak.

Attachments

• IMG_4124.JPG
    IMG_4124.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 59

Back
Top Bottom