CCR vs SCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh well... they obviously have rules for a reason. Guess I will just wait till i am 18 and hopefully I will have enough logged dives by then.

I think of SCR as a lot of the hassle of a CCR with a lot fewer benefits.

It's a bit of a debate I guess, except that it appears that SCR's are quickly becoming a thing of the past, probably because the resale market in CCR's has made a used CCR's so within reach... 2-6K USD. well, and then there are rumors of a very inexpensive CCR coming out soon, which if it does, could change everything.:popcorn:

SCRs have one key benefit - different experience. Learning got properly and safely dive a SCR will help you with CCR diving. As will learning and diving different CCRs. I'm not saying diving a different one a week but learning the different units, the pros and cons and most importantly the "gotchas" will make you better prepared as well as more aware when diving.

And always have a PO2 monitor when you dive any RB, SCRs included.

SCRs have one key benefit - different experience. Learning got properly and safely dive a SCR will help you with CCR diving. As will learning and diving different CCRs. I'm not saying diving a different one a week but learning the different units, the pros and cons and most importantly the "gotchas" will make you better prepared as well as more aware when diving.

:eek:fftopic: and :joke:
Tim, are you still considered a diver? :huh::sprint::kiss2::kiss2:

:focus:

:huh: How many currently have one available?

I'd say all current units (CCR and SCR) have them. The Drager has a PO2 monitor as an option (i.e. extra $$) but there is a place to plug it in the unit from the factory. And there are a few after market PO2 monitors that can be fitted to just about any unit.

The only unit I can think of without a PO2 monitor is the Drager LAR-V but that is military and an O2 only unit.

:eek:fftopic: and :joke:
Tim, are you still considered a diver? :huh::sprint::kiss2::kiss2:

:focus:

:doh2: Guess it depends on what the quals are. Got the gear and the c-cards. Can go sit in the tub for a while. :)

I'd say all current units (CCR and SCR) have them. The Drager has a PO2 monitor as an option (i.e. extra $$) but there is a place to plug it in the unit from the factory. And there are a few after market PO2 monitors that can be fitted to just about any unit.

The only unit I can think of without a PO2 monitor is the Drager LAR-V but that is military and an O2 only unit.

D'uh.

Disregard the question. It was too early when I read that and I saw CO2, not PO2.

Ah...yeah. CO2 monitor is probably the next big development for CCR safety. Not aware of any production units today. Been lots of talk about them but then again, been lots of talk about RBs that still haven't seen the end of a production line.

Back
Top Bottom