Change in the Cozumel Bag Drag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but being dehydrated and fresh off the plane? It's about 1 mile exactly to Melgar, the main drag on the water, from the airport entrance. And you are one block above Calle 12.

Its a sidewalk. Not bad at all. And on the Google Map, there are people doing it: Google Maps

The Google Street View is very helpful. So I just walk past the traffic circle, and on the other side of the circle there are taxis lurking?

The Google Street View is very helpful. So I just walk past the traffic circle, and on the other side of the circle there are taxis lurking?
Maybe, depending on how the police are feeling that day. :D

Ill try it today with an empty bag.

dave

The vans aren't horrible. I don't like waiting until they fill up, but then it's usually not so long. It's just that after I have driven to Lubbock, flown to Houston, rushed to my connection, flown to Cozumel, waited for the slow people in front on me on the plane to get off so that I can, hiked to I&C, spend an hour in Immigration line, grab my bags, clear Customs (Cancun furnishes free carts; why doesn't Coz?!), grabbed a ticket, loaded onto the van - I'm ready to go, tired of waiting in lines.

You do need to be careful with your bags, as the driver can't memorize exactly which ones belong to whom - trip after trip. He'll unload whichever he is told at each stop, but there could be miscommunications. I never thought of writing the van number down, but good idea. I get out at each stop to make sure my bags don't get off early.

One time the driver passed my hotel to drop a couple off at their further hotel, then doubled back to drop me. Maybe they bribed him, or maybe it was easier for him not having to cross traffic every time with left turns in and out? I really need to see if Walmart sells patience before I leave.

And traveling solo like I usually do, a van ticket is cheaper than a taxi.

Hasn't it always been illegal for taxis to pick you up at the traffic circle? We have always gone down the street a couple hundred yds without any pick up problem.

Hasn't it always been illegal for taxis to pick you up at the traffic circle? We have always gone down the street a couple hundred yds without any pick up problem.

Even 100 yards down the walk you would still be standing next to the Airport fence, thus authority of the Federal Police. But I have no idea how they define the line1

Dave Dillehay

Is it possible to walk from the airport to downtown? About how far is it? Thanks.

Thanks for everyone's reply. I'll only be carrying a carry-on backpack and a small shoulder bag. That's my dive stuff plus two pair of shorts, a toothbrush, and three tee shirts. I've been carrying bags back and forth from the ferry to h Barracuda for years. This time I'm staying downtown.
It'll depend on my mood when I get to the airport. Sometimes it's easier to blast through the crowd without stopping.

Thanks for everyone's reply. I'll only be carrying a carry-on backpack and a small shoulder bag. That's my dive stuff plus two pair of shorts, a toothbrush, and three tee shirts. I've been carrying bags back and forth from the ferry to h Barracuda for years. This time I'm staying downtown.
It'll depend on my mood when I get to the airport. Sometimes it's easier to blast through the crowd without stopping.
Wow, you travel light. That sounds like me, except I have a house with all my diving equipment and clothes there.

That's pretty much the same way I look at it. Depending on a lot of different circumstances and my whim at the moment, I either do the slow van or grab a fast cab out of there, just depends on the mood.

Back
Top Bottom