Changing to dry clothes after a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay as a competitve swimmer and a swim instructor for about half my life i definitly acquired skills in changing out of a suit in public with no one seeing you naked.!

1. Wrap a towel around your bathing suit at your waist.
2. Put on a baggy shirt or sweatshirt (ahh warmth) over your head. Keep your arms free.
3. With your free arms...pull your suit down to your waist. and under the towel. Finish putting on your shirt.
4. Continue to pull your suit all the way off. You are now wearing a shirt and towel.
5. Put on a pair of shorts under your towel.
6. Remove towel
AND TADA! your dressed.
:wink:

Skill requires some practice! :)

i always lose the towel!

dm

divemistress once bubbled...
i always lose the towel!

dm

If you ask nicely, most gentlemen (me for sure) will hold the towel for you so it won't slip. :D If you say please, I'll even keep my eyes closed, honest. :wacko:

ktarlecky,

Impressive, but do you have to be a contortionist to get the towel which was over your wet suit to be under your wet suit when you continue to pull it down?

Or am I being pedantic? :bash:

Happy diving

Rick
:cop:

I use a variant of the changing methods described. I put on a big sweatshirt or T-shirt over my swimsuit, but don't put my arms into the sleeves. I then pull down the top of my swimsuit and get it sitting on my hips (below my waistline). Then I wrap a towel around my waist and arrange it so that the opening is at the side of my hip and not at the front or back. Then I reach up under the towel and pull my suit all the way off. I can then pull on my underwear or go "commando" and pull on my pants, keeping the towel nicely draped over the pants. Worst case, a flash of skin at the opening - carefully positioned at my side! I learned this method of dressing as a competitive swimmer. We called it "deck changing."

I found that a two piece swimsuit is much easier to change out of with this technique, especially the type which ties or hooks at the neck and back (not the sports-bra style). This style top you can remove from under a shirt even with your arms in the sleeves.

Oh, and I don't put my shoes on completely when changing. I put my socks on before changing and stand on top of my shoes. My socks stay clean and dry (and sand-free) and I can easily put my feet through the pant legs.

BTW, I've never had any problem with my top being "eaten" by my wetsuit. I haven't the foggiest what is even meant by that statement.

Good diving (and changing)! :)

it's what happens when your top -- especially the kind that ties at the neck and back -- gets twisted and turned and rolled and shifted and maybe even untied. so that when you peel off the top of your wetsuit ....

FLASH!!!

you bare your, um, soul to the world.

:D

dm

Aquaphile once bubbled...
BTW, I've never had any problem with my top being "eaten" by my wetsuit. I haven't the foggiest what is even meant by that statement.

Global mfg used to sell a garment, they called a change tent.

It was basicly an ankle length, hooded sweat shirt, with sleeves, and neck zipper.
You pulled it over your head, and changed you cloths in it, then if it was cold, you stuck your arms into the sleeves and kept it on.

Mike D

One thing I have found that is easy to keep on hand is a large rain poncho, (be sure to get a dark color you can't see through). They are easy to store, and cheap to buy. Just pull over your head and you have plenty of room to change under the poncho. It will fold up very small and flat, so it is easy to keep in your dive box.

Rick m--- I guess that i really only took into consideration tropical diving and i usually do not wear a wet suit. I guess though...most people wear a bathing suit under their wet suits.
:rolleyes:

Poncho idea is pretty cool unless a brisk wind blows and suddenly you're pulling a Marilyn! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom