Chat threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surely we've moved on from those days and it's time to examine this again? SI is not always an option, and I rather think it's time for a change.

Would a Regional HH thread be a possible solution? Heck even if it is the only one, but that way it can stay as long as it falls within the TOS and the Region leader watches it......that way people can still access it without the OPT in requirement

Would a Regional HH thread be a possible solution? Heck even if it is the only one, but that way it can stay as long as it falls within the TOS and the Region leader watches it......that way people can still access it without the OPT in requirement

Yes I think that might be a reasonable solution, thanks. I guess we'll have to wait and see though.

SI is not always an option, and I rather think it's time for a change.
I am not sure why SI is not a viable option here. Are you loathe to it's existence?

ScubaBoard is divided up into two largely distinct areas: Scuba and non-Scuba.

Our moderation is different depending on the location of the post/thread. I am not sure why there seems to be some need for an exception here, but it is definitely not a "Scuba" thread. While Scuba may be referred to in the thread (As is also done in the infamous MOF/NMOF), the thrust of the thread is chat. This is done for consistency throughout our forum.

I hope this helps, but I kinda doubt it.

For those of you who don't remember, or those whom are newer to ScubaBoard, and may not know the history: The Surface Interval was created to house chat threads from the general board.

Certain club areas have also been seen having their own chat threads, and we're inclined to not interfere with the club forums, as they all have their own "Group Leaders".
You forget category no 3: chat threads in a regional non-club forum.

I am not sure why SI is not a viable option here. Are you loathe to it's existence?

ScubaBoard is divided up into two largely distinct areas: Scuba and non-Scuba.

Our moderation is different depending on the location of the post/thread. I am not sure why there seems to be some need for an exception here, but it is definitely not a "Scuba" thread. While Scuba may be referred to in the thread (As is also done in the infamous MOF/NMOF), the thrust of the thread is chat. This is done for consistency throughout our forum.

I hope this helps, but I kinda doubt it.

I don't think she meant that its not an option here.

More that some people don't opt into the Surface Interval.

More that some people don't opt into the Surface Interval.
That's the real problem. A few people use this thread. Yet a LOT of people keep seeing this thread. They have excluded SI from their search for new posts so that they would avoid seeing chat threads. This makes everything far more consistent in regards to content. It's certainly not a punitive measure on our part. Consistency makes the entire forum easier to navigate and more enjoyable for a host of people.

Again, I certainly don't understand the angst toward this being included in the SI forum. It is not the ScubaBoard equivalent of Purgatory. That would be the Pub. :D

I think chat threads and entertaining threads are what makes ScubaBoard so popular. Just look at the numbers of members. Something must be working correctly. Why sit and fret over where a certain thread belongs or who should be "allowed" to view it. Why not just read the threads you enjoy, ignore the ones you don't enjoy, and get out and dive some more!

Rick,

it seems that you missed a few chat threads in other forums.

Would you mind stating why some chat threads are moved to the Surface Interval and others remain in their own forums?
can't spot an answer from Rick so far!

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom