Chat threads?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And as SB evolves, the rules change. There was a time when the Surface Interval didn't exist. Let that be known as the Dark Ages of SB. LOL

So, here is a new situation that perhaps can result in a new rule. How about 1 chat thread per forum or something of the like?

Valid Point

That's the real problem. A few people use this thread. Yet a LOT of people keep seeing this thread. They have excluded SI from their search for new posts so that they would avoid seeing chat threads. This makes everything far more consistent in regards to content. It's certainly not a punitive measure on our part. Consistency makes the entire forum easier to navigate and more enjoyable for a host of people.

Again, I certainly don't understand the angst toward this being included in the SI forum. It is not the ScubaBoard equivalent of Purgatory. That would be the Pub. :D

When I go to New Posts I see other chat threads come up. We discussed this in private some months ago NetDoc and you agreed to leave HH in the Humour section.

I am curious to know why it took 11k posts in this thread (and nearly 16k) in the other thread for you to come to this decision. The reason why I (and I know others who post in the HH's thread) would prefer it in the Humour section is because lots of people have found it that way as a friendly place to come and chat. This is less likely to happen in the SI area due to it being an opt-in place.

I can't help but think this is a 'political' decision as I know for a fact a fair few people whinged about it not being in the SI who weren't even participating in the thread in a positive way. I have no idea why they cared, but they did, it was a bit pathetic really. Is this your reason for moving it?

Anyway, I would prefer it to be in a regional forum than the SI. And quite honestly I fail to see what was such a big deal about it being in the Humour section. Who goes there for scuba related stuff only? It is well established there and should have been left there!

I think one of the biggest issues is the lack of consultation with those most effected by this decision. As ONESPEED said.. it feels like someone is comming in and throwing their weight around.

Why did this have to occur without discussion, imput and consideration of the History of the Thread from the contributers to the thread? We have operated within ToS, self policed to create a friendly, inclusive and drama free thread. Making this decision and forcing it upon people who have worked to hard to contribute to ScubaBoard in a positive way does not appear to be following the spirit of We want to know what all of our members think about our community as it is today - both the positive & the negative - so that we can continue to make ScubaBoard the best possible place for scuba divers to spend their time above the water. Feel free to give us your comments, remarks and feedback, on any policy / moderation topic that you think we need to hear about.

Consultation is more effective before decisions are made! After the decision has been made it becomes an issue of either changing your mind (not likely) or supporting/justifying your decision. This has been more divisive than inclusive creating angst, distrust, fear and even conspiracy therories. In the end there can be no winners with what appears to some as rather high handed decision making.

There is a lot of value in the statement.. "If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!" HH was not broke.. it contributed to the board and did no harm. I am baffle why it was necessary to "fix" it!

I am curious to know why it took 11k posts in this thread (and nearly 16k) in the other thread for you to come to this decision. The reason why I (and I know others who post in the HH's thread) would prefer it in the Humour section is because lots of people have found it that way as a friendly place to come and chat. This is less likely to happen in the SI area due to it being an opt-in place.
We often revisit threads and decisions. Will this be a less friendly thread now that it is in the SI?
I can't help but think this is a 'political' decision as I know for a fact a fair few people whinged about it not being in the SI who weren't even participating in the thread in a positive way.
This decision was in no way political; it was organizational. It's obvious that while I can state that, I don't think you'll accept it. The truth was worth a try anyway.
When I go to New Posts I see other chat threads come up. We discussed this in private some months ago NetDoc and you agreed to leave HH in the Humour section.
Not when you go to the All Things Scuba option. At least not any more.
I think one of the biggest issues is the lack of consultation with those most effected by this decision.
Actually, I think the biggest issue is one of trust. Somehow, you think I am trying to harm you and this thread. Nothing could be further from the truth. Again, I am not sure what is so loathsome about being in SI. Do we need to paint the walls in there or what? We can see that most people find you by clicking on the New Posts button. I don't expect you to believe me, but it's true. However, now they don't see you if they use the All Things Scuba option.
Why did this have to occur without discussion, imput and consideration of the History of the Thread from the contributers to the thread?
Many want to be the exception for whatever reason. It was obvious to staff that this needed to be put in it's rightful spot. We have not circumvented your ability to post in it nor have we edited it one bit here. It's still your thread!
There is a lot of value in the statement.. "If it ain't broke.. don't fix it!" HH was not broke.. it contributed to the board and did no harm. I am baffle why it was necessary to "fix" it!
That's the problem BoP. It was broken. Now it's fixed. You may not have realized that it was out of place, but it was. Now people choosing to see All Things Scuba will get just that, with no chat threads included. That was the design for that from the beginning.

I hope this helps, but I am getting the feeling that it won't.

NetDoc.. my biggest issue is the consultation process! We still have regular HH contributers who are not able to get into the thread that they have been involved in for months! Had we been consulted we could have avoided all the ruffled feathers. I suggest the outcome would have been that the thread got moved.. clearly that decision is made whether we are happy with it or not but we could have made sure people were advised and not denied access to the thread.

I do not think that this decision creates an inclusive environment when it separates the threads so much.

I do not think that this decision creates an inclusive environment when it separates the threads so much.
Did we miss a thread? We can move that as well... just to be consistent. Please send me the URL.

FWIW, it's past 11:00 here and I have a pool session in the morning. I am heading to bed. Tchuss!

We often revisit threads and decisions. Will this be a less friendly thread now that it is in the SI?

Your rhetorical question misses my point. I did not say it would be less friendly. Please reread my original post.

This decision was in no way political; it was organizational. It's obvious that while I can state that, I don't think you'll accept it. The truth was worth a try anyway.

Ha, no nothing you say will change my mind about that, you are correct. But meh, it's your board, you can do what you want :wink:

I think you are missing BoP's point too. You moved it then told people. I think if you had just told people what you were planning and then done it, it wouldn't be an issue. It was an opt-in forum which some of the participants could not access due to not opting in to the SI. It's not about trust at all. But hey, it's your board, you can do what you want without discussing it with people.

What the heck are you all talking about? I see HH a lot but that means nothing.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/surface-interval/300164-hh-ii-dive-shop-end-universe.html

It is a group of us that have had our own chat thread for a while now. I've met many nice people there and even gone away on holidays with some of them and have more diving trips planned with them in the future. Anyway, it's been a really friendly place and I've met some great people there. Drop by for a chat if you are interested :)

Your rhetorical question misses my point. I did not say it would be less friendly. Please reread my original post.
My question was not rhetorical.
Ha, no nothing you say will change my mind about that, you are correct.
At least you admit I have done something right and that in this case, you simply won't listen to reason. I am not certain why you dislike me so. I don't think I have ever maligned you, lied to you or treated you badly. In fact, I have provided a cool place for all of us to have fun, discuss things with our friends and all of that free of charge! If anything, my peers tell me that I am too accommodating. Obviously, you don't agree and think I am some sort of ogre bent on spoiling your fun. FWIW, I am sincerely sorry this has caused you so much angst, but it was purely organizational. Let's see how things go from here, shall we?
It was an opt-in forum which some of the participants could not access due to not opting in to the SI.
How many still don't have access? If you have a list of names, I would be glad to adjust their profiles to include the SI.

My question was not rhetorical.

Ok then. No I don't think it will be less friendly. As long as people respect the thread (which has been a problem in the past), it should be fine. But, that was not the point of what I said initially so I have no idea why you asked it.

At least you admit I have done something right and that in this case, you simply won't listen to reason. I am not certain why you dislike me so. I don't think I have ever maligned you, lied to you or treated you badly. In fact, I have provided a cool place for all of us to have fun, discuss things with our friends and all of that free of charge! If anything, my peers tell me that I am too accommodating.

I don't dislike you nor do I think you have treated me badly. I disagree with your actions, nothing more. And I have my own reasonable, reasons why I believe it is political. I do have some idea of what has gone on in the background so I am not just making stuff up... I think whoever did the moderation of this thread was probably doing it because of certain people complaining about the thread's location, something that has been an ongoing issue (much to my surprise). The location is no big deal to me, but when people try to have it moved for no other reason than being petty, then it becomes a deal to me. But yea, really, I am not annoyed about that any more, just the fact that it was done as a surprise.

Obviously, you don't agree and think I am some sort of ogre bent on spoiling your fun. FWIW, I am sincerely sorry this has caused you so much angst, but it was purely organizational. Let's see how things go from here, shall we? How many still don't have access? If you have a list of names, I would be glad to adjust their profiles to include the SI.

No I don't think you are an ogre. I am not sure why you think me disagreeing with your moderation makes me dislike you? I disagree with your actions. That doesn't mean I think you are an ogre, suffer a lot of angst or that I dislike you, just that I disagree with you. Nothing more.

If anyone does not have access I will of course, fill them in on how to get into the new thread, but thanks for the offer.

You may not have meant it, but post #36 comes across as very angry.

"nothing you can say will change my mind"

"meh" (that's a sign of disgust by my children)

"it's your board" X2

Combined with the earlier posts, and your continued belief that our decision was political/petty/etc it was not hard for me to read between the lines. I hope I have not responded to you in kind or in an untoward fashion. Please let me know if I have crossed that line.

Back
Top Bottom