CHDK is not an option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You own a Canon G11 which has different hardware and firmware specs than my Canon A570IS.

You miss the point. For the sake of others, who don't have your camera or mine, I was pointing out that CHKD does not slow your camera down. Taken at face value, a reader could easily imply from your first response that CHKD made your camera slower. Some Canon models (such as mine) do optionally write RAW+JPG. So without researching the exact features of your camera, the conclusion could easily be that CHKD somehow made your camera slower at a job it already did, especially since you deemed it "problematic".

Moreover, my operating system (Mac) allows me to view thumbnails of JPGs but not CRW files.

Try choosing ".CR2" for your RAW file extension. My Mac thumbnails, views and edits these just fine.

I want my...
Best safe place to download CHDK?

I get it here.

You'll need to follow the instructions. It's not really all that hard, but you do have to read a little bit.

To install CHDK on your card you'll need a small program called "Cardtricks", but the wiki will show you all that.

If you have a Canon compact camera CHDK is not an option, it's a neccessity.

It's not a necessity, it's mandatory.
It's not mandatory, not having it is a crime.
It's not a crime, if you do not have CHDK you will be accused of terrorism.
You won't be accused of terrorism, if you do not have CHDK you will be accused to collaborate with capt. Francesco Schettino of sinking the Costa Concordia !!!

Too much work even to carry a camera underwater.

I take it that everytime you reformat the memory card you need to reload CHDK?

That would be a "yes". It takes about 30 seconds to do. Really. The Cardtricks program just unzips the CHDK zip file to the root of the card and that's it.

That could be a problem if you are on a trip and don't have what you need to do it. The worst-case result being that you don't have CHDK. I don't see a need to reformat the card very often. Certainly not within the time frame of a single dive trip.

In playback mode, my camera's menu offers to "Erase All".

I also carry multiple memory cards. I have my laptop along with me anyway on trips; I want to review my shots to see how I'm doing. I recently saw 4Gb class 6 SDHC on Amazon for around $6 each. That's too ridiculous not to have a handful.

That would be a "yes". It takes about 30 seconds to do. Really. The Cardtricks program just unzips the CHDK zip file to the root of the card and that's it.

I'm not so sure about that. I had set up my memory card with 2 partitions with CHDK living on one partition and the photos being saved in the other. I did this because booting can only be accomplished on a FAT16 formatted partition, which has a size limitation of 4 GB. At the time, I had a 16 GB SDHC card. This is how I set up my memory card years ago, so I'm not sure if these same limitations exist.

If one chose to selectively reformat/erase the partition containing the photos, the CHDK partition would not be touched at all. This probably would have to be done with a memory card reader and some sort of computer, though. The in-camera "reformat card" function would probably "see" the CHDK partition and erase it (but I haven't personally tried this).

I haven't used the CardTricks program. I generally just fire up my netbook running a flavor of Linux and use GParted.

I get it here.

You'll need to follow the instructions. It's not really all that hard, but you do have to read a little bit.

To install CHDK on your card you'll need a small program called "Cardtricks", but the wiki will show you all that.

I loaded CHDK onto an 4 GB SD card (formatted to FAT16 with Cardtricks) to have a play. The main thing I was interested in was the ability to use sTTL on my Inon S2000 strobes while in manual mode on the S95. My problem is that the camera light meter display seems to be disabled by CHDK which kind of negates the whole deal.

Anyone with some suggestions?

I loaded CHDK onto an 4 GB SD card (formatted to FAT16 with Cardtricks) to have a play. The main thing I was interested in was the ability to use sTTL on my Inon S2000 strobes while in manual mode on the S95. My problem is that the camera light meter display seems to be disabled by CHDK which kind of negates the whole deal.

Anyone with some suggestions?

Its OK I reread Bullshark's original post and now I see that you use Tv or Av to work the strobe's sTTL but use the relevant CHDK overide to set the camera's aperature or shutter speed to the desired value.

Unless you want to go insane every time you splash, turn this "feature" off. Tell CHDK that you want it to work. Tell CHDK that you will "Disable overrides" when you want all the cool stuff to stop working! Tell CHDK that you want it to remember all your settings: turn this off.

How do I tell CHDK to "disable overrides"? Thanks for posting this info.

Back
Top Bottom