Cheap Bastard Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's not nearly the maintenance by shops required of golf clubs than there is of scuba equipment.

Golf isn't life threatening if done wrong.[/QUOTE

That is true but is irrelevant to the discussion, which is about the relative costs of different sports not the reasons behind those costs.

There might be lots of service if LDS owners ran the golf shops. Better get those shoes re-cleated annually buddy, it's a safety hazard playing on worn cleats, you might slip and break your neck. Better get those clubs re-gripped too, it could be a matter of life and death if the club flies loose on a swing and hits someone. And don't try to do it yourself because you haven't been properly trained by the manufacturer, not that we would sell you the parts anyway. :D

Actually it doesn't. It makes him, a possible criminal unless he pays the California sales tax when he brings it into the state. .

Only if he brings it permanently and registers it. Cars from all over the nation drive through CA every day.

CA did nothing to facilitate the sale. When taxes are reasonable and are spent on the legitimate roles of government, compliance is almost 100%.

I'm just talking about the initial outlay of cash to get into the sport at a relatively high level, with higher end equipment.

And diving is still more expensive. I built a carbon fiber triathlon bike with components purchased second hand online, and from the returns bin at an online vendor's outlet store. No one ever believes it cost three figures.

Consignment sporting goods stores typically don't accept anything but top shelf ski equipment.

Hunting? The best stuff is derived from military designs, and Uncle Sam has covered all the R&D costs, and surplus ammo abounds.

Diving? Try telling the LDS you're putting together your own reg - they'll have you committed.

On one end of the spectrum, I've met folks who can afford things, but don't spend their money (which is part of the reason they have that money). I also know folks who spend more than they can afford on the best houses and cars, and have lost both when they can't make the payments.

Probably best to fall somewhere in the middle... if you can't afford the Lexus and need a car, why not buy a Ford? If you can't buy a new Ford, are you cheap if you buy a used car?

I love diving, and have had to slowly buy gear as our budget allowed. I don't dive as much as I would like and don't own the regs I want due to our budget, but I still find ways to dive as often as I can. I'm probably not my LDS' favorite demographic, but hey, who cares? They still treat me with respect, and I'm a loyal customer because of it.

Like in all sports you have the ferrari class of equipment Rebreathers etc.. but here in Canada we have to pay 25 to 40% more than our US counterparts. So we can complain a bit. Also we have LDS that gives us dirty looks when they see gear we didn't buy from them. Since it is a niche market there aren't many stores plus the prices are very high So we need to vent.

I am happy to buy gear in the US. I don't know why you guys complain. And Yes Diving is the most expensive sport I do. Combine all the cost of my other hobbies will equal Diving. All hobbies done locally even diving. Rock Climbing, Kendo, Golf, Snowboarding, Riding a Motorcycle (bike excluded from cost)

My 2 cents

Just looking at Wayward Son's quote and we seem to be quite lucky in South Africa.

I did a quick conversion of current market prices at R8.00 to U$1.00 and a dive to the reef will cost you U$30.00 (boat launch 3 miles out to the reef) and a Nitrox fill will be U$7.00

Happy hunting..

Corné :: Oceans Alive Diving - Aliwal Shoal, South Africa ::

can't say for everything you listed, but hunting can be done pretty damned cheap compared to diving. I hunt & have done so for 32 years. Even if I had to start from scratch, bought actual hunting clothes, a new rifle, etc, I can still get out & hunt for less than I can get started diving from scratch, so I dunno where you get the "for far less than diving" bit.

Then there's the cost of actually going diving. Lacking any shore diving, I have to pay for boat dives. So every time I go it costs me $80 for a 2 tank ride, plus my nitrox, plus food for the day on the road, seeing as it's a 300 mile round trip for me, plus the gas for that drive. For me to dive a single 2 tank trip costs me at min:

$80 charter
$40 gas
$10 value menu
$18 nitrox
========
$148 & I haven't tipped anyone yet. And that's EVERY TIME I go, 3 tanks or offshore costs more.

If my wife goes add at min:

$80 charter
$10 value menu
$18 nitrox
=======
$108, making it $256 to get about 90 minutes of BT. And I don't have to rent any gear, but the figure does not include annual service, VIP's, hydros (I own 9 tanks + 3 regs sets for my family), replacing worn out, damaged or lost gear, etc. Just the cost of doing it for a day & it costs more if we want to eat better.

Now, does it cost that much to ride a bike? Hunt deer on public land or a friend's property? most of the others you listed?

I just recently got into diving and I am looking at purchasing my gear. It is expensive. But for some reason I always get involved in hobbies that require money to get the initial gear. I hike and have paid 200 or more on certain gear...I also mountain bike, snowboard, and waterski. All these hobbies cost money but since I like them I will continue to pay them.

Most of the bellyaches posted about prices involve "Reverse Cheapness", or "RC". RC is an affliction that causes people to shop for price only after they buy the item. They buy an item from a store, and find they paid more than list price. Or, they check prices on the web after buying from a store and feel duped. Let the blubbering begin!

Visiting a local dive store to get started with gear does not work for a person suffering from RC. They must recognize they have this problem. Just like we plan our dives and dive the plan, the RC sufferer needs to plan purchases carefully and execute the plan.

This should be included, for the common good, in dive training.

Off all on your list, biking does not fit in.. It can be done daily while its hard to hunt, golf or boating anything while working a normal job..

As for biking, I still use online shops for all my stuff because its so much cheaper..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom