Cheap Bastard Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most of the bellyaches posted about prices involve "Reverse Cheapness", or "RC". RC is an affliction that causes people to shop for price only after they buy the item. They buy an item from a store, and find they paid more than list price. Or, they check prices on the web after buying from a store and feel duped. Let the blubbering begin!

Visiting a local dive store to get started with gear does not work for a person suffering from RC. They must recognize they have this problem. Just like we plan our dives and dive the plan, the RC sufferer needs to plan purchases carefully and execute the plan.

This should be included, for the common good, in dive training.

I think that you have summed up the cheap bastard phenomenon quite concisely and with political correctness!:D

This has been fun...and I'm almost out of glue...dang!

I know I´m new here. I´m not complaining about the cost of equipment because I love the sport, but I live in Argentina and our exchange rate is 1 USD = 3 AR$, I earn arround $ 3000 (USD 1000) a month, down here with this salary you live like you can live in the US with a USD 3000 salary, it´s not bad, but when I have to buy equipment it´s a different story.

For example, a ZEagle Stiletto BC is arround USD 489 in the US, but I have to add the shipping to argentina and a 50% customs tax in argentina. So it´s about USD 900 / 950 for me. Remember that my exchange rate is 3 to 1, so I paid around $ 2700 here, would you buy a Zeagle Stiletto for USD 2700? Now start calculating how many salaries I have to spend to buy a complete set of diving equipment (BC, fins, mask, wetsuit, accesories.... ).

Diving is incredible and it worth every penny. :)

Raider,
I don't know if this scuba equipment dealer (Immersione)
Compra todo el equipamiento para buceo y snorkeling que necesitas en Tienda Immersione

is a branch of Leisure Pro in Argentina or a company that is ripping off their web site design, but the prices there seem a lot more reasonable than adding in the shipping + customs tax that you mention. I am assuming of course that the prices on the web site are pesos.

For example, a ZEagle Stiletto BC is arround USD 489 in the US, but I have to add the shipping to argentina and a 50% customs tax in argentina. So it´s about USD 900 / 950 for me. Remember that my exchange rate is 3 to 1, so I paid around $ 2700 here, would you buy a Zeagle Stiletto for USD 2700? Now start calculating how many salaries I have to spend to buy a complete set of diving equipment (BC, fins, mask, wetsuit, accesories.... ).

Diving is incredible and it worth every penny. :)

You called? I'm proud to be a cheap bastard. Until more SB members buy my DVD's, I have to be!

Seriously, I've been involved in MANY other sports that require a LOT less cost than SCUBA diving, including several on the list. SCUBA has required far more financial outlay than they did, but it's worth it since it is my passion... and what I (hope to) do for a living.

I'm cheap because I don't like to waste money and I don't have thousands of dollars to spend on travel or new gear. Gas and food prices are through the roof.

I think it all depends on where you're at and who you're buying from. Here on Oahu, there is always someplace to shore dive from and the pricing of gear at most shops is on par, if not better than LeisurePro. Therefore, I never really hear folks complain about pricing.

On the either hand, there is one shop that will only fill your tanks if they've done the VIP. Folks do complain about that. For me, I happened to have got my VIP from them in the first place and they're somewhat in my area, will fill immediately and are the cheapest air fills on the island.

There are a couple of places that are closer, but they send the tanks out to someone else. Doesn't do me any good if I have to wait a day to get my tanks back!

A day of diving can, theoretically, cost me less than $10 including gas. I wouldn't count my lunch as part of the expense. Whether or not you're diving, you still have to eat! And I don't include the extra vehicle I maintain for diving.

I think it all depends on where you're at and who you're buying from. Here on Oahu, there is always someplace to shore dive from and the pricing of gear at most shops is on par, if not better than LeisurePro. Therefore, I never really hear folks complain about pricing...A day of diving can, theoretically, cost me less than $10 including gas. I wouldn't count my lunch as part of the expense. Whether or not you're diving, you still have to eat! And I don't include the extra vehicle I maintain for diving.

WOW:shocked: never thought I would see the day something was cheaper in Hawaii...

It is actually little things that can aggravate me. I went on a trip with a shop one time. The charter included air tanks. I prefer diving nitrox. I was quoted $15 additional per tank for nitrox. Turns out the charter charged $12 per tank for nitrox (which I think is still a little high), but the $3 mark-up that the local shop took from me was insulting. I don’t do anymore business with that shop. I know it is a tough business, but I still expect to be charged fairly. And from my point of view that was not fair.

I know I´m new here. I´m not complaining about the cost of equipment because I love the sport, but I live in Argentina .......
what you gotta find is someone that travels to argentina so they can bring the equipment with them, claim it as their own and not pay duty on it

i remember one trip to vanuatu (huge import duty as they have no income tax there) where every diver was carrying heaps of extra gear to deliver to friends :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom