Cheap Eats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Moro is one of the best places to eat in Cozumel, IMHO. I would not call it "cheap," but it's not to expensive either. I would compare it to eating at Chilli's (price-wise), or maybe less even.
Considering the other options you have in Cozumel, I think El Moro is kind of expensive, relatively.
Lol...never eaten at any of them....Taco Bell looks attractive, but never tried them either....I'm not chain kind of guy. Mr Taco rules!
Roughly $15-20 per person and not nearly as good as Mr Taco. Fried salt seasoned for the american palate. You're not missing anything. Taco Bell is not attractive unless you are 20 years old or really drunk. Or both. Stay far away.
Oh... and I forgot Casa Cuzamil. Pretty inexpensive and really good food.
Much cheaper for lunch than for dinner. The comida del día is 90 pesos and really good. Dinner is good, but it's about triple the price.

Much cheaper for lunch than for dinner. The comida del día is 90 pesos and really good. Dinner is good, but it's about triple the price.

I am sure you are right. I have only eaten breakfast and lunch there. But it was good food.

A classic 'The Blue Truck' just up from the stoplight at the international pier. Very good Torta's
An older image snipped off google maps, I believe the current truck has a camper on it, the truck changes with time but the food remains good.

upload_2018-6-28_21-1-15.png

Is Mr. Taco similar to El Pique and Los Seras?--similar menu, similar quality? Those have been my two go-to taquerias.

Yes, similar.

Mr Taco is our favorite for pastor tacos, followed by Los Seras. Don't know if our tastes have changed or the quality of pastor has slipped a bit, but we're skipping El Pique this trip.

Los Seras has a considerably bigger menu, and some of those things we consider excellent.

One of my favourites, and not mentioned so far, is Kooben Laab. It's on 30th between about 3 and 5 (it's next door to a chicken place about a block south of Las Seras). It's a tiny, hole in the wall place that makes its own bread, pasta, and fancy desserts which is also sells for takeout. A few seats only. The home-made pasta is to die for and a full dinner is less than 100 pesos as a rule, which includes meat, and grilled bread. It is a local super-duper god-send. No alcohol.

The kibbe guy has fried kibbe for 10mx. But since he rides around you have to be lucky enough to find him.

Not one mention of Los Otates? My go-to. I also wouldn't miss the jamon y queso empanadas at the local bakeries. Sometimes they are little sandwiches with jalapeno. Cheap, filling, delicious.

Good call :) Los Otates was my favorite for lunch. Killer guacamole! My vote still goes to El Moro for dinner, not just for the food quality, but for the experience. Great people.

I REALLY hate to say this - but it's a real thing so everyone should take note.

During the very hot months here (July, August, September) please avoid places that do not have proper refrigeration. I cannot tell you how many incidences of salmonella and typhoid we get here during those months. We (locals and local ex-pats alike) go through this every year - an outbreak of salmonella and typhoid (caused from salmonella)

I LOVE the taco truck, but avoid it during this time of year. Seriously.

I also USED to be a big fan of Mr. Taco, but I got very violently ill within 30 minutes of eating there less than a week ago and have been down for the count for several days. I also have several friends and acquaintances who have been sick after eating there in recent weeks. I've avoided Los Seras for years after several bad (disgusting) experiences.

I am not trying to bash ANY restaurant - but I would stick with actual restaurants who practice proper food handling and have proper refrigeration and hygiene this time of year especially. Summertime is not a time to be adventuresome with trying street food or the little hole in the wall taco stands.

For tacos, my recommendation is to stick with Otates, El Pique and Cuatro Tacos

Last edited:
We discovered and really like Cuattro Tacos, on the same street as Aldora and Tres Pelicanos, close to Melgar. It was very yummy. And that was after eating at Otates the night before.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom