Cheap Eats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got back last night.

Ate at Los Seras twice, (every item was delicious, although was underwhelmed by the alambre tacos).

Managed to get to Mr Taco just once, our favorite for pastor tacos. The only issue we had there was considerable difficulty in getting our check. We asked our waiter once, and another waiter twice, who both times, reminded our waiter that we were waiting. He was very busy with take-out orders, but... Wondered if they tipped him as well as I would have.

We discovered and really like Cuattro Tacos, on the same street as Aldora and Tres Pelicanos, close to Melgar. It was very yummy. And that was after eating at Otates the night before.
Oh DUH - can't believe I forgot them!!!

I forgot to add the fish & shrimp tacos at El Sitio on 2norte between 5&10 ... across from the taxi lot. I love love love them !! Hope they are ok in summer... I ate there 2x in April & it was pretty warm.

We discovered and really like Cuattro Tacos, on the same street as Aldora and Tres Pelicanos, close to Melgar. It was very yummy. And that was after eating at Otates the night before.
I REALLY hate to say this - but it's a real thing so everyone should take note.

During the very hot months here (July, August, September) please avoid places that do not have proper refrigeration. I cannot tell you how many incidences of salmonella and typhoid we get here during those months. We (locals and local ex-pats alike) go through this every year - an outbreak of salmonella and typhoid (caused from salmonella)

I LOVE the taco truck, but avoid it during this time of year. Seriously.

I also USED to be a big fan of Mr. Taco, but I got very violently ill within 30 minutes of eating there a week ago. I also have several friends and acquaintances who have been sick after eating there in recent weeks. I've avoided Los Seras for years after several bad (disgusting) experiences.

I am not trying to bash ANY restaurant - but I would stick with actual restaurants who practice proper food handling and have proper refrigeration and hygiene this time of year especially. Summertime is not a time to be adventuresome with trying street food or the little hole in the wall taco stands.

For tacos, my recommendation is to stick with Otates, El Pique and Cuatro Tacos

Thanks for the heads up. I have only gotten sick once from my trips to Mexico. I had an omelette from a place on 5th Ave in Playa on my way home that tasted a little off. When I got home I found out why it tasted off.

WP_20170515_008.jpg WP_20170515_009.jpg
I forgot to add the fish & shrimp tacos at El Sitio on 2norte between 5&10 ... across from the taxi lot. I love love love them !! Hope they are ok in summer... I ate there 2x in April & it was pretty warm.

I'm planning on trying them on my next trip. Thanks for the review!

I have not yet been to the El Pechugon in San Miguel but I've eaten at 3 or 4 others in other parts of Mexico and it was always cheap and delicious. They sell mainly rotisserie chicken and have wonderful roasted potatoes and other side dishes and a Pechugon Completo comes with salsa and tortillas and was about $109 MX the last time I got one. Google says it's at Av.65 con AV.11. These photos are from one in Puerto Vallarta.

As good as ever a couple weeks or so ago --- after the rain when it got hot.

Did seem like there were fewer pigeons around this time - but maybe we've just become accustomed to them. And the place is as dirty as ever, out of soap and paper towels, food handling practices would not meet most people's standards, but I'll takes my chances. Yes folks, they're that good. Tacos camaron still at 19 pesos.

El Sitio does close early - by 1:30-2pm

And my bad, not to notice CajunDiva mentioned Otates on pg 1.

I REALLY hate to say this - but it's a real thing so everyone should take note.

During the very hot months here (July, August, September) please avoid places that do not have proper refrigeration. I cannot tell you how many incidences of salmonella and typhoid we get here during those months. We (locals and local ex-pats alike) go through this every year - an outbreak of salmonella and typhoid (caused from salmonella)

I LOVE the taco truck, but avoid it during this time of year. Seriously.

I also USED to be a big fan of Mr. Taco, but I got very violently ill within 30 minutes of eating there less than a week ago and have been down for the count for several days. I also have several friends and acquaintances who have been sick after eating there in recent weeks. I've avoided Los Seras for years after several bad (disgusting) experiences.

I am not trying to bash ANY restaurant - but I would stick with actual restaurants who practice proper food handling and have proper refrigeration and hygiene this time of year especially. Summertime is not a time to be adventuresome with trying street food or the little hole in the wall taco stands.

For tacos, my recommendation is to stick with Otates, El Pique and Cuatro Tacos
And then there's Christi, who has to ruin everybody's fun with silly things like concerns about food safety and sanitation.

Salmonella (S. enterica, serotypes Enterotidis and Typhimurium) takes between 12-72 hours from exposure to onset of symptoms. It is one of the most common causes of food poisoning, but also one of the least severe for healthy individuals. You are typically sick for a few days and up to a week. Staphylococcus aureus tends to be the culprit behind sudden onset food poisoning, as quick as 30 minutes, and symptoms usually pass within a day. Either one sucks, but one key difference is that Salmonella typically wait until they are in your gut to reproduce and can be killed by high heat (167F) and you are typically good to go, but Staph will leave behind toxins that are not destroyed by high heat, even though the bacteria are killed at lower temperatures.

Typhoid is spread directly and only from other humans. It's a salmonella bacteria that is only present in humans and spread by infected individuals who don't follow the "Employees Must Wash Hands" signs in the bathroom.

Last edited:
And then there's Christi, who has to ruin everybody's fun with silly things like concerns aboud food safety and sanitation.

Salmonella (S. enterica, serotypes Enterotidis and Typhimurium) takes between 12-72 hours from exposure to onset of symptoms. It is one of the most common causes of food poisoning, but also one of the least severe for healthy individuals. You are typically sick for a few days and up to a week. S. aureus tends to be the culprit behind sudden onset food poisoning, as quick as 30 minutes, and symptoms usually pass within a day. Either one sucks, but one key difference is that Salmonella typically wait until they are in your gut to reproduce and can be killed by high heat (167F) and you are typically good to go, but Staph will leave behind toxins that are not destroyed by high heat, even though the bacteria are killed a lower temperatures.

Typhoid is spread directly and only from other humans. It's a salmonella bacteria that is only present in humans and spread by infected individuals who don't follow the "Employees Must Wash Hands" signs in the bathroom.
I must have gotten both then! Haha! Or the dehydration from being so violently ill stuck with me and kept me feeling bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom