Cheap - Inexpensive Dive Op???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MargaritaMike

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been to Cozumel 4 times since May 1. I'm not a picky diver but I do have to dive on a budget. I am looking for the cheapest dive op I can find. I've been with 3 different Dive Ops so far. All of them have something to offer, but I continue the search. I am open to any suggestions. If you don't wish to be a public cheerleader, please PM me. I'll probably be going back the end of Nov - early Dec. I do not need a package as I have lodging and board at an unbeatable price so packages don't really appeal to me.
Thanks for your input
Cheers - M²

Last edited:
Who are the three dive ops? Cheapest I know is Dive With Martin. You'll probably have to make special friends with a dive op owner or strike a private deal for a very frequent diver to get much lower.

Dive with Martin is certainly the lowest priced decent Dive Op that I know of. While I prefer the higher end valet ops, especially Aldora with the long, long bottom times provided by HP Steel 120 tanks, I have been diving with Dive with Martin several times on group dive trips, and I would not hesitate to recommend it (although my favorite DWM DM, Miguel Estrella, left them a couple of years ago).

Thanks for the input. The only problem I see with DWM is they are located at the marina and I stay in town. By the time I get a cab each way DWM becomes a little more expensive than some other places. I have thought about renting a car or scooter (death on two wheels), but it also adds to the cost. Keep those ideas coming. All input is appreciated.

Cheers - M²

I don't understand why people fly to Cozumel, have lodging and eat, and then cheap out on their dive operator. In many ways, I think that you get what you pay for. Comparing the services you get, the size of your group, and the time underwater is more important than saving $5 or 10 a day. Of course this is just my opinion, others may differ. Cozumel is already pretty good for the cost conscious.

You have a very limited selection of dive ops to choose from if you require in-town pick-up and none of them are the cheapest on Cozumel. If you rent a car, with insurance, your daily expenses will go up by AT LEAST $25. So subtract that figure from the prices of the ops that pick up in town and then decide how the prices compare with the cheaper options that you are going to have to drive or cab to. Cab fare from town to caleta is running about 100 pesos these days (might be a bit more, I haven't had to take one for a while). So that is cheaper than a car rental, especially if you can find someone to split the fare with (provided you get on and off at the same stop...otherwise you will each be charged the full fare cost). I think I heard that there is now (or about to be) a city bus that runs to the International Pier and if true, that would be a pretty inexpensive way to go....only about 50 cents if you don't have a Mexican seniors card. I've never seen anyone get on with a load of wet scuba gear and the buses are pretty cramped as it is, so you might get a dirty look or two. I did see two people get on the bus one time with gigantic suitcases and then were arguing with the driver when he couldn't make change for the $100 US bill they handed him when they got off.

Personally, if I'm staying downtown, I'd just as soon dive with an op that leaves from a downtown pier. If the op will get you to the marina, that may be doable for you too. Deep Blue leaves from a downtown pier, Tres Pelicanos and Blue Magic will get you to the marina. I think their prices are in about the same ballpark. Aldora and Blue XT~Sea leave from a downtown pier, but I think they're both a little more expensive than the other three I mentioned. The differences in price can be accounted for, so there may be considerations, for instance Aldora uses big tanks, so this might make a difference for you. For me, I'd be thinking about convenience issues to make my final decision and would be willing to pay a little more if it was more convenient due to departure times, tank sizes, proximity of my hotel to the dive op or departure point, etc. For instance, and this is just for my tastes, Deep Blue or Blue XT~Sea would work because they leave a little later than the others, from a downtown pier. Deep Blue leaves at 9am and Blue XT~Seas leaves at 8am. Tres Pelicanos will get you to the marina without charge, but you have to be at their shop around 7:40am. For me, that's a little too tight time wise.

My guess is that there are other ops that fit the "leave from downtown or will get you to the marina from downtown" bill, I just don't know who they are off hand.

I don't understand why people fly to Cozumel, have lodging and eat, and then cheap out on their dive operator. In many ways, I think that you get what you pay for. Comparing the services you get, the size of your group, and the time underwater is more important than saving $5 or 10 a day. Of course this is just my opinion, others may differ. Cozumel is already pretty good for the cost conscious.

I am too cheap to fly into CZM. I fly into CUN and catch the bus then the ferry. I would have stayed at Casa Mexicana, but my wife wanted to join me. I picked Hotel B as something a little more "luxurious" (boy! was I wrong!!").

My point is that folks can fly in on points/miles, book a cheap hotel or stay on points, and look for a the lowest cost dive op. As a dive master, why does he need a full fledged tourist operator?

My two cents? Tres Pelicanos. I don't think they're the cheapest, but I have been very happy using them.

I know for a fact that 3P's runs a good operation. I like to dive with 100's (insurance) and if I dive NITROX 100's, it gets REAL expensive with 3P's (an extra $24/trip) so the price goes up. Hence, I'm looking for a "cheaper" starting price and then I can put my add-ons. Being on a fixed income, I have to pick and choose how I spend my retirement. I'm not poor mouthing, but there isn't anymore coming in. Oh well. Maybe I can start selling things off -- anyone interested in buying my wife. I could cut a lot of expense right there.... JUST KIDDING!!!!! She is the joy of my life!

Cheers - M²

I know for a fact that 3P's runs a good operation. I like to dive with 100's (insurance) and if I dive NITROX 100's, it gets REAL expensive with 3P's (an extra $24/trip) so the price goes up. Hence, I'm looking for a "cheaper" starting price and then I can put my add-ons. Being on a fixed income, I have to pick and choose how I spend my retirement. I'm not poor mouthing, but there isn't anymore coming in. Oh well. Maybe I can start selling things off -- anyone interested in buying my wife. I could cut a lot of expense right there.... JUST KIDDING!!!!! She is the joy of my life!

Cheers - M²

Can she cook and clean? :D

Back
Top Bottom