Chicken of the Sea - A True Story

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghostdiver1957

Contributor
Reaction score
I was diving with a group from my local shop in San Salvador one day when suddenly I saw a Rubber Chicken go shooting by to the surface... I thought it to be a bit odd so I swam towards it to get a better look... it was indeed a rubber chicken with a piece of fishing line (filiment) tied to it... I looked below and didn't immediately see anyone down there... so of course I had to wonder where in heck this rubber chicken came from.

I continued my safety stop and after a few minutes I see this new guy (new diver on his first trip with the group)swimming towards me making all kinds of hand signals... so I swim to him thinking he may be low on - or out of air. I grab his gauges and look and he has plenty of air, but he is still making some strange hand signals that I can't decipher (almost like he was doing the chicken dance underwater.) I waited for him to finish his safety stop and ascended back to the boat with him (all this time still wondering where his buddy was.)

When we get to the dive ladder I immediately asked him where his buddy was and he explained that his buddy had went off with someone else (good buddy I thought.) He seemed a bit uncomfortable - but calm, so I asked him if he was alright... He looked me dead in the eye and very seriously said to me... "I'm not sure." I had to keep prodding him and finally he says... "I think I was attacked by a Chicken."

Sensing an opportunity to have some fun, I asked him why he thought that... and he said when he was on the wreck, he felt like something was tangling him up and the next thing he knew he swore he saw a chicken bobbing all around him.

I said, "well Thank God you were able to get away... those Sea Chickens are dangerous." He told me he had never heard of Sea Chickens and no one had warned him about them during his OW class. I said , "oh yeah... they're pesky suckers... but good eatin... you know... Chicken of the Sea." "Chicken of the Sea" he says, "I thought that was Tuna?" "No", I said, "thats a common mistake, you should have grabbed that sucker and brought him up for dinner." "I didn't know," he said.

So now I'm walking away laughing my @$$ off and the rest of the group is returning to the boat. One by one this guy is standing on the back of the boat asking each person if they saw the Sea Chicken down there... Each one telling him No or asking him "What?" "The Sea Chicken, it attacked me he finally blurted out... just as the Dive Master gets back on the boat asking who took his chicken. "Attacked you?," says the dive Master, "a rubber chicken attacked you?" ... and we all had a good laugh.

It seems this DM liked to tie a rubber chicken up on the bow of the boat and put some food in it for the fish to peck at... and that's what it was doing when it attacked our friend. Beware of Rubber Chickens

ghostdiver1957:
I was diving with a group from my local shop in San Salvador one day when suddenly I saw a Rubber Chicken go shooting by to the surface... I thought it to be a bit odd so I swam towards it to get a better look... it was indeed a rubber chicken with a piece of fishing line (filiment) tied to it... I looked below and didn't immediately see anyone down there... so of course I had to wonder where in heck this rubber chicken came from.

I continued my safety stop and after a few minutes I see this new guy (new diver on his first trip with the group)swimming towards me making all kinds of hand signals... so I swim to him thinking he may be low on - or out of air. I grab his gauges and look and he has plenty of air, but he is still making some strange hand signals that I can't decipher (almost like he was doing the chicken dance underwater.) I waited for him to finish his safety stop and ascended back to the boat with him (all this time still wondering where his buddy was.)

When we get to the dive ladder I immediately asked him where his buddy was and he explained that his buddy had went off with someone else (good buddy I thought.) He seemed a bit uncomfortable - but calm, so I asked him if he was alright... He looked me dead in the eye and very seriously said to me... "I'm not sure." I had to keep prodding him and finally he says... "I think I was attacked by a Chicken."

Sensing an opportunity to have some fun, I asked him why he thought that... and he said when he was on the wreck, he felt like something was tangling him up and the next thing he knew he swore he saw a chicken bobbing all around him.

I said, "well Thank God you were able to get away... those Sea Chickens are dangerous." He told me he had never heard of Sea Chickens and no one had warned him about them during his OW class. I said , "oh yeah... they're pesky suckers... but good eatin... you know... Chicken of the Sea." "Chicken of the Sea" he says, "I thought that was Tuna?" "No", I said, "thats a common mistake, you should have grabbed that sucker and brought him up for dinner." "I didn't know," he said.

So now I'm walking away laughing my @$$ off and the rest of the group is returning to the boat. One by one this guy is standing on the back of the boat asking each person if they saw the Sea Chicken down there... Each one telling him No or asking him "What?" "The Sea Chicken, it attacked me he finally blurted out... just as the Dive Master gets back on the boat asking who took his chicken. "Attacked you?," says the dive Master, "a rubber chicken attacked you?" ... and we all had a good laugh.

It seems this DM liked to tie a rubber chicken up on the bow of the boat and put some food in it for the fish to peck at... and that's what it was doing when it attacked our friend. Beware of Rubber Chickens

My vote for best post this month!

Come on, your trying to tell me that an adult with at least enough intellect to absorb the minimal information needed to be certified and enough interest in the ocean to want to dive bought that?? Can I teach you how to sell steel??

"Chicken of the Sea"

Reminds me sooooo much of other classic newbie bait we pulled in the Marines. Though you used quick wit to capitalize on a situation my favorite was to send a newbie over to supply for 50 yards of flight line and a gallon of prop wash...

Sea ya!

MOF #94

I have a rubber chicken.....maybe he can go down with me.....hmmmmm.

I'de have to find some dense ones to dive with if they're gonna buy that story.....

Sasquatch:
"Chicken of the Sea"

Reminds me sooooo much of other classic newbie bait we pulled in the Marines. Though you used quick wit to capitalize on a situation my favorite was to send a newbie over to supply for 50 yards of flight line and a gallon of prop wash...

We did the same in Army aviation.

LMAO at the chicken story!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom