Citizen dive watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking at getting a citizen BJ2000-09E ecodrive aqualand dive watch but I dont trust rubber watch bands and was looking at an after market watch band like this:

Waterborne Safety Straps, Dive Watches, Innovative Scuba Concepts, Waterborne Safety Straps

does anyone know if these bands are any good or if they are compatible with that watch. If compatible what size band do I need, the 3/4" or 1".

Any reasons not to go with that watch? its a bit over my budget but I really like it. Thanks

Yea the waterborne bands will work with your citizen watch. I have the citizen aqualand duplex with a 3/4" waterborne safety strap, I highly recommend that you get the band, you don't want to loose that expensive watch. I would imagine that yours would be the same size, but I am not 100% positive.

I am looking at getting a citizen BJ2000-09E ecodrive aqualand dive watch but I dont trust rubber watch bands and was looking at an after market watch band like this:

Waterborne Safety Straps, Dive Watches, Innovative Scuba Concepts, Waterborne Safety Straps

does anyone know if these bands are any good or if they are compatible with that watch. If compatible what size band do I need, the 3/4" or 1".

Any reasons not to go with that watch? its a bit over my budget but I really like it. Thanks
The band looks similar to the one on my Citizen JV0010-08E. It is very robust, but it really comes down to trusting the pins on the band. That is the weak point on any watch band.
Not sure where you are looking to buy from, but authorized dealers on the net sell that for about $300.00.

I thought maybe the 3/4" strap is for womens watches cause that seems pretty small but I have never seen a true dive watch in person.

I found an authorize dealer who has one for sale for $276. and ebay has them for $254 buy it now.

I have never owned a watch worth more than $30 and the one I have now it waterproof to 200' and will tell time just fine for diving sake but I fell in love with this watch and especially the eco-drive part. If they had a digital in eco-drive for diving I would rather have that but you cant say a good watch without digital is not just as functional and more beautiful.

there is no more secure way of wearing a watch for diving that that strap is there?

I love my Citizen dive watch , and I love my Waterborne strap - That said, I don't use them together (I have the BJ2060-58E AquaLand Titanium that has its own bracelet). The "Eco-Drive" is a great feature - just be sure to keep the instruction book around. I locked my Eco Drive in our safe for severasl months a while back and when I took it out it was dead. I set it on a sun ny wondowsill for a few days to charge, but couldn't get it to charge/power on. Turns out they have a low battery safe mode and turn off when the rechargeable battery gets too low. It then has to be reset (easy to do, just had to read the manual on how). Did the reset and it worked perfectly.

My Aqualand is my "good" dive watch while my "knockaround" diver is a big old Casio. That's the watch that I have a Waterborne band on.

Things I like about the Waterborne bands: They have numerous holes so they're very adjustable. They have a redundant strap (the band is doubled behind the watch and runs through the extra set of "D-Rings" on the band) so if you should break/lose an attachment pin your watch will not come off. I don't see why a Waterborne wouldn't work with that watch - it looks to have a standard pin attachment. From pictures, I'm guessing it takes a 3/4". You should be able to find out for sure from Citizen - I'm pretty sure they have online versions of the owners' manuals on their website.

Daz

I have a Waterborne strap on my Citizen, and my only complaint is that it's just a hair too short to be able to secure the tag end when worn over a 7mm farmer John jacket.

I found a different brand of strap - Zulu - with similar features. The Waterborne is a nice enough strap, but I find the overall finish of the Zulu bands to be better. And, more importantly, they have a long version that should fit any suit you'd also be able to move in :)

zulufourringindex
NITROX

I bought one of the long straps for diving with my watch and will probably get another one for my computer. It's a 30 second job - or less - to swap straps, so using different straps for different purposes makes sense to me.

Henrik

I have a Waterborne strap on my Citizen, and my only complaint is that it's just a hair too short to be able to secure the tag end when worn over a 7mm farmer John jacket.

I found a different brand of strap - Zulu - with similar features. The Waterborne is a nice enough strap, but I find the overall finish of the Zulu bands to be better. And, more importantly, they have a long version that should fit any suit you'd also be able to move in :)

zulufourringindex
NITROX

I bought one of the long straps for diving with my watch and will probably get another one for my computer. It's a 30 second job - or less - to swap straps, so using different straps for different purposes makes sense to me.

Henrik

I like the looks of the Zulu, but what mm fits the 3/4" watch?
TS

Hi Texasscuba; 1 inch = 25.4 mm, so 3/4" = 19.05 mm

I use a 20 mm strap on my Citizen watch and have placed an order for a 22 mm strap for my Suunto Computer.

Hope this helps.

Henrik

I've been diving my Aqualand Duplex (the older, yellow face) for 11? or so years.

I love it as a redundant depth guage/bt clock.

I replaced the band once, about 4 years ago, when I noticed there was obvious wear of the band. Even though the band had cracks about 1/2 accross it, it held up fine until I replaced it.

Don't under estimate the rubber watch band. Citizen knows they are selling you a $400 timepiece.

Don't under estimate the rubber watch band. Citizen knows they are selling you a $400 timepiece.

It's not as much the rubber band itself that's the concern. It's the steel pins holding the band in place. With a standard watch band, if one pin breaks or pops out, you loose the watch.

The Waterborne and Zulu 4-ring type straps run under both pins, so if one pin goes, the watch stays attached - dangling, but still attached.

Also, the tag end of the strap doubles back through the double ring set and further secures the strap, in case the pin in the buckle should break (not likely - but still :)).

You can see how it works in the pictures at the bottom of this page:

zulufourringindex

Please note that the way the double back the tag end in those pictures offer no extra security.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom