Classes to be a great well rounded diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say rescue diver is a worthwhile class but many of the classes/specialties up to that level are things you can figure out by simply diving and gaining more experience. (Of course, you would need to take AOW prior to taking rescue diver and need a couple specialty courses to get to that level.)

Or skip the whole padi bs specialty stuff and take a naui advanced diver course...then take rescue from your agency of choice.

-Z

I would say rescue diver is a worthwhile class but many of the classes/specialties up to that level are things you can figure out by simply diving and gaining more experience. (Of course, you would need to take AOW prior to taking rescue diver and need a couple specialty courses to get to that level.)
To my knowledge to take PADI Rescue you need OW, Adventure Diver (used to be AOW required), EFR (CPR). That's it. No other specialties. Used to be 20 logged dives-- not required for years now.

Or skip the whole padi bs specialty stuff and take a naui advanced diver course...then take rescue from your agency of choice.

-Z
Not at all to start up the PADI-NAUI thing once more, but what is the main difference between NAUI Adv. Diver course and PADI AOW?

To my knowledge to take PADI Rescue you need OW, Adventure Diver (used to be AOW required), EFR (CPR). That's it. No other specialties. Used to be 20 logged dives-- not required for years now.
That's correct - specifically Adventure Diver (3 dives) with Navigation as one of the dives chosen and EFR requirement is both primary (CPR) and secondary (first aid).

Not at all to start up the PADI-NAUI thing once more, but what is the main difference between NAUI Adv. Diver course and PADI AOW?

NAUi advanced diver is a dedicated course that includes bight, deep and navigation as part of the course among other information. It also is recognized from my experience as allowing the diver to go to 40m (130ft) without the need for another course.

PADI AOW is not a course in and of it self, one has to take a bunch of specialties to get the Advanced cert/recognition card, and unless you do the deep dive specialty it only is recognized for depths down to 30m.

Just realize there are other training options out there other than PADI and it is not necessary to stay with one organization to continue training/education.

It is interesting and astounding to see time and again how divers seem to have tunnel vision that only focuses on the singular organization they did there initial training with...for recreational dive training it is not necessary, for instance I am SSI open water, NAUI advanced, NAUI masterdiver, PADI rescue, PADI divemaster.

-Z

It is interesting and astounding to see time and again how divers seem to have tunnel vision that only focuses on the singular organization they did there initial training with...for recreational dive training it is not necessary, for instance I am SSI open water, NAUI advanced, NAUI masterdiver, PADI rescue, PADI divemaster.
-Z

Not even for tech training it is necessary. Although I am focusing on a specific path for tech, I have rec certs from 3 different agencies and I regularly dive (or used to dive? damn covid!) with people certified from different agencies. My tech-buddies have a range of certifications from french national agency, TDI, IANTD and GUE; usually, each of these buddies has at least more than one agency in her own curriculum.

I thought that only entry-level divers had certifications from one single agency... because "multiple agencies curricula" are the standard for advanced divers in my own experience.

you would need to take AOW prior to taking rescue diver
Correct.

and need a couple specialty courses to get to that level.)
Wrong. You can go almost directly from OW to AOW. Not that I wouldn't recommend some diving inbetween those, though.

Another option is to switch to CMAS.

1* is pretty much equal to PADI OW.
2* is roughly AOW + "Rescue Light". You can usually cross over from PADI with OW plus a handful of dives.
3* is CMAS' version of DM, satisfies the same ISO standard as PADI DM, but a good 3* class will improve you as a diver as well. I learned a lot from my 3* course. If you haven't crossed over before you enroll a 3* class, you need PADI Rescue to start 3*.

\PADI AOW is not a course in and of it self, one has to take a bunch of specialties to get the Advanced cert/recognition card, and unless you do the deep dive specialty it only is recognized for depths down to 30m.

This is just false. From the PADI digital instructor manual:

For Advanced Open Water Diver, student divers meet performance requirements:
• Complete five Adventure Dives including Deep and Underwater Navigation.
• Complete the five Knowledge Reviews for the completed Adventure Dives.
• Complete Thinking Like a Diver Knowledge Development section.

IIRC, you can be credited with some dives if you have the specialty, but you can't for example take Deep Diver for credit in AOW, because AOW (or adventure) is required before you take Deep, anyone can check that here.

SSI, I believe is a collection of specialty courses that you take to earn AOW. I agree with you that PADI is not the end all be all, it's much more about the instructor, but as a professional, you have access to the instructor manual and people expect that what you say is going to be factual.

-Z

I only have experience W PADI, main reason is 80 mile drive for me to a non PADI shop. With PADI being the only option at both LDS and the local university(same instructor) it's not surprising almost everybody in my area is kinda locked into PADI. For me to do training that's non PADI it really requires overnight trips. I'm more than willing to travel to Monterey for training but I don't think most people have the flexibility I do, or even the desire.

NAUi advanced diver is a dedicated course that includes bight, deep and navigation as part of the course among other information. It also is recognized from my experience as allowing the diver to go to 40m (130ft) without the need for another course.

PADI AOW is not a course in and of it self, one has to take a bunch of specialties to get the Advanced cert/recognition card, and unless you do the deep dive specialty it only is recognized for depths down to 30m.

Just realize there are other training options out there other than PADI and it is not necessary to stay with one organization to continue training/education.

-Z
Good idea to have the Deep to 130' as part of the NAUI Advanced. I would've liked to do some courses with NAUI (my brother is either OW or Adv. with them) or other agencies, but there is nothing but our PADI shop for a long way from Halifax.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom