Cobalt Coast Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which raises the question of what divers who've been there would like for the new management to do differently, if anything? Are you wanting 'same old, same old,' or changes? Richard.

We taken a few dive vacations with Reef Divers at the Tibbetts resorts and we have always been very pleased with the accommodations and dive services.

I have never dived with Dive Tech at Cobalt Coast but they have a good reputation and there does appear to be some differences in their operation versus Reef Divers. Cobalt Coast offers a lot of shore dives which are not as common on Cayman Brac and Little Cayman, but I imagine that will be an easy adjustment for Reef Divers.

Dive Tech also offers family vacations with training and certification classes for children and I don't think that is commonplace with Reef Divers and it will be interesting to see if they continue that option. I'm not sure that I'd want to stay at a family resort with a focus on kids diving, but we don't usually travel during the summer so maybe it wouldn't be an issue.

But I think that the biggest differences are that Dive Tech teaches technical diving and deep diving while Reef Divers is a full valet recreational diving operation without, as far as I know, the tech training opportunities.

I imagine that there will be some assimilation of the current offerings and I suppose that customers looking for the special services provided by Dive Tech will follow them to their new location, wherever they settle. Heck, I've followed my hairdresser to 4 different salons!

I read somewhere that Reef Divers was originally founded on GC by Bob Soto. And I know that after the Divi Tiara hotel closed on Cayman Brac the Reef Divers operation acquired some of their boats, equipment, divemasters, and customers.

So these types of mergers have happened in the Caymans before and I am sure that it was a big adjustment for both the staff and customers. I do think that there will always be employment options for competent dive professionals in the Caymans.

It will be interesting to see the changes. I guess that the Tibbetts family want to own a resort property on all 3 of the Cayman Islands. And Cobalt Coast seems to be their type of property - a small, all-inclusive, diver-dedicated resort located "off the beaten path". It will be interesting to see what will change and what will remain the same.

But they do run a quality operation so hopefully the customers will be okay with the change in ownership.

Last edited:
Changes I would want to see at cobalt would include:
Expansion/renovation of the pool area with more lounge space and a hot tub
Update on the room furnishings as they are looking a bit tired.
More variety in breakfast/lunch menus.

Dive boats that don't try to include newbies, recreational divers and tech divers at the same time, compromising the experience for all. This is why Dive Tech is not my go to dive op on GC.

Dive Tech is not a bad dive op, but they have never reached the level of valet service offered by reef divers, DNS, Wall to Wall, and other high end operators on GC.

One of the other shortfalls at Cobalt is that the water is shallow at the dock so that the dive boats rarely can tie up there unless flat calm. This means a bus ride to Morgan's Harbour or West Bay to get to the boat and back.

On the plus side, the shore diving at Cobalt is spectacular.

What's going to happen to Inner Space ???? I LOVE Divetech !!!!

It looks like the owners of the Little Cayman Beach a Resort/Cayman Brac Beach Resort have bought the Cobalt Coast Resort on Grand Cayman. They certainly run top notch operations at LC and CB. Hope they do the same with this resort.

Do you have a link to the story?

I think that BDSC heard the news while on vacation at LCBR; I haven't seen a news story or press release.

That's correct. They had just announced it to the staff the week before we got there. From what I understand, the family sold some property and used that money to buy the place. At some point they will likely close the place down for some period of time as they make needed repairs, renovations, upgrades. Not exactly sure of the timeline of all of this. They run great operations at their other resorts so I would expect the same with this resort.

Speaking of their other resorts, I didn't think they could improve on the LCBR but I think they have. They created a new position to be in charge of all food and drinks and I can honestly say the food was the best it had ever been. The staff was very attentive while you ate constantly filling your drink glass or taking your plate so you can grab another.

They also made some nice changes around the dive shop area. More room to analyze nitrox and they have assigned the drying/equipment area according to the boat you are on. Much more organized. Still a great staff even though they have had some turnover.

Diving conditions were ideal. Visibility on every dive exceeded 100 ft. Reefs still look great and saw quite a few sharks, turtles, eels, lobsters, and all the small stuff as well. Three or four different sea horses for the week.

I've dove most of the Caribbean numerous time and still haven't found a better resort and diving that what you find at LCBR and Bloody Bay Wall.

Finally, we had the pleasure to have several SB members on this trip I had never met and I can now call them friends. A really great group of folks who were excellent divers and I'm glad they decided to join our group. I hope to travel with them in the future.

BDSC

---------- Post added August 23rd, 2015 at 04:05 PM ----------

By the way, I went to the Dive Tech website and they don't even list Cobalt Coast Resort as an option to stay. Maybe they have already left. Assuming I was at the right website.

... From what I understand, the family sold some property and used that money to buy the place. At some point they will likely close the place down for some period of time as they make needed repairs, renovations, upgrades. Not exactly sure of the timeline of all of this. They run great operations at their other resorts so I would expect the same with this resort...

Well, the Tibbetts family have certainly have been investing in the business lately. First they shut down the Brac Reef Beach Resort for 3 months for extensive renovations, along with new name and rebranding. And they also have launched an extensive marketing campaign, including a jumbotron in NYC Times Square! And now they have purchased a resort property on Grand Cayman. Very ambitious, but they do know how to run high-quality resorts and dive ops and recruit a loyal customer following - so good for them!

Attachments

• BRBR_TimesSquare.jpg
    BRBR_TimesSquare.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 179
Dive Tech also offers family vacations with training and certification classes for children and I don't think that is commonplace with Reef Divers and it will be interesting to see if they continue that option. I'm not sure that I'd want to stay at a family resort with a focus on kids diving, but we don't usually travel during the summer so maybe it wouldn't be an issue.

It will be interesting to see the changes. I guess that the Tibbetts family want to own a resort property on all 3 of the Cayman Islands. And Cobalt Coast seems to be their type of property - a small, all-inclusive, diver-dedicated resort located "off the beaten path". It will be interesting to see what will change and what will remain the same.

Stayed at Cobalt Coast back in Feb. Wouldn't call it a "family resort" and would say it is geared for adults who are divers. Although DiveTech does host kids sea camp and advertises courses for kids, Cobalt Coast as a resort has no other family offerings. I would stay there again, but wouldn't take a family of kids to stay. There were no kids present diving or staying at resort the week I stayed there. Tech and rec divers galore though.

Definitely off the beaten path. Hope the hospitality and service stay the same. Nothing but great reviews on Trip Advisor. Physical changes will probably be tough as it is a smaller property. To one up Doctorfish, I say a LARGE hot tub - what else is there to do? Agree on expanding lounge area.

By the way, I went to the Dive Tech website and they don't even list Cobalt Coast Resort as an option to stay. Maybe they have already left. Assuming I was at the right website.

But Cobalt Coast's website references DiveTech! Also according to CC's website I could book a room well into next year. Wonder if the name is going to change? DiveTech's FB page shows fairly current pictures taken at Cobalt Coast, so they're probably still there.

But Cobalt Coast's website references DiveTech! Also according to CC's website I could book a room well into next year. Wonder if the name is going to change? DiveTech's FB page shows fairly current pictures taken at Cobalt Coast, so they're probably still there.

Someone had mentioned they would call it "Grand Cayman Beach Resort" to keep the theme of LCBR, etc. Not sure if that is decided or was just speculation.

Someone had mentioned they would call it "Grand Cayman Beach Resort" to keep the theme of LCBR, etc. Not sure if that is decided or was just speculation.
that would make sense but there's not much beach at cobalt coast

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom