Cobalt Firmware update is on the Atomic Website

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
There is a new firmware update for Cobalt computers posted on the Atomic website. This is a major, feature rich update, and we strongly encourage all Cobalt owners to install it. It contains a number of feature enhancements and bug fixes that will improve your Cobalt experience. Installing this update will also ensure that your Cobalt updates to the new year in the future, which some previous firmware versions did not do automatically.

Here is a partial list of feature changes in this new version:

• Modified the Divelog to improve the scaling of the profiles, so there is a less compressed view.
  • More accurate representation of dive time in Dive log profile. The two minute end of dive time is no longer being added in.
  • Implemented continuous scrolling in the Divelog Profile by holding the UP or DOWN button.
  • Added time of day display to the dive screen, alternating with temperature during dive.
  • Corrected an error concerning displaying 2/29 in a leap year.
  • Corrected an error where the year would not update after Dec. 31st.
  • Corrects a display error that would only appear on the last day of the year. This caused the surface interval to display incorrectly, but did not effect decompression calculations.
  • Changed the display such that for the last dive the surface time is the surface interval (the time between the previous dive and the last dive), as many users had requested.
  • Added French language.
  • Set the default settings for a new gas mix to be the same as are specified for the primary mix, rather than always defaulting to an 80 cf/ 12 l tank size.
  • Added two additional compass bearing choices: a triangular or a square course. The selection is made with a menu in the Set Bearing popup on the Dive Screen. The option of having only a 180° return bearing remains.

There are also a lot of minor bug fixes and internal improvements to efficiency.

If you have a Mac, be sure to download the new Mac firmware tool. It's much spiffier than the old one, and works with Lion and Mountian Lion.

Ron

Hi:

I went there this afternoon and followed the directions for a Mac; I've got an early '08 Mac Pro running Mountain Lion. Ran the Atomic Updater, downloaded & selected the Cobalt_141_EndUser.hex firmware update file, hooked the Cobalt up via the USB cable, hit the Connect to PC on the Cobalt, and the Update button on the Atomic Updater program. That was supposed to take a minute or two, then I'd need to reset time & date and be done.

Weeeeeeeeeeeell, the Cobalt's screen went dark immediately, and I expected that in a minute or two it'd get done, but I waited awhile, walked off, ate supper, came back, and the Cobalt still has a dark screen and the Atomic Updater still says:

Dive Computer is ready for Firmware Update
...Preparing Cobalt for Download (DO NOT UNPLUG)

I'm about to leave home for several hours and should get back late tonight. At this point, I'm guessing I'll find it the same way then that it is now.

How long do I let it hooked up doing nothing discernible? I eventually hit the Select button on the Cobalt a couple of times, and that did nothing. If I unplug it, will it be 'bricked?' Is is already bricked?

Thanks.

Richard.

Richard,

The update should take a minute or two at most- no point in waiting longer. If you don't see a progress bar moving on the Mac the update is not getting done.

It's in a state where it is waiting for the update to be delivered, and it isn't getting it for some reason- possibly an interruption in the connection at the wrong moment. The program tells the Cobalt to go to the processor boot code (that's why the screen is dark), but it has not started sending the firmware update until you see a progress bar start moving. In this state it won't respond to button presses or anything else except the code from the desktop. The Cobalt is still using power and will eventually run down the battery- and can then be reset by connecting to A/C adapter, or the battery can be removed and reconnected, but there should be an easier way.

First, just try unplugging and re-plugging the USB from the Cobalt. See if in a few seconds the download progress bar starts moving- if it does it should complete. the Desktop program should see the newly plugged in Cobalt and start the process of moving the new firmware into place.

If that doesn't work, follow the instructions for a failed update here: Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Software Essentially this is a repeat of the procedure above, starting from scratch. First, I would check to make sure the pins on the Cobalt are clean, and the adapter is making good contact.

If that doesn't help, PM me and we will get into it further.

Ron

Got home just a bit ago. It's been several hours; Cobalt still dead, Atomic Updater still with same message.

Unplugging & replugging the USB charger from the Cobalt did nothing. Still dead.

Tried to follow the failed update instructions at the link you provided. I quit & relaunched the Atomic Updater, and clicked the 'Select Hex File' button,' choosing Cobalt_141_EndUser.hex as before. Only now, the grayed out 'Update' button that should become clickable, doesn't. It stays grayed out. And the Cobalt stays dead; clicking any of the 4 buttons does nothing.

As for eventually running down the battery, won't that take months?

Richard.

P.S.: I am a 'hands on' technophobe with a strong disinclination to the idea of taking this thing apart. Next dive trips in April.

That may be a clue.

Did the progress bar ever start, did you see "starting firmware download", and did you see any error messages, or was it just the "Do Not Unplug" message?

If it is in boot code (screen is blank, non responsive to button presses, but the actual firmware download did not begin), plugging it in should still enable the Update button, it should not stay greyed out. It's important that the Cobalt not be plugged in until the update program is started on the Mac.

It is important that you follow the instructions step by step- 1) start the Update program, THEN 2) plug in the Cobalt to your USB, 3) select the hex file. At that point the Update button should be enabled, as your Mac should see the Cobalt as a USB device, and a message "dive computer is ready for Firmware Update" should show. If you can't get the button to enable with that procedure it may mean a bad cable, connector, connection to the Cobalt (dirty or oily pins?), or a bad USB port- whatever it is, it's probably the reason that the update attempt failed. You might try a different port on your Mac with the same procedure. If it still doesn't work, we need to start looking at the adapter, the cable, or the pins on the Cobalt.

It won't take months for the battery to run down if it's running boot code- it might be days, but not much more. If it does, you can only restart the Cobalt by using the A/C adapter, USB won't provide the reset. But what we want is to get the problem with the update identified and fixed. If that means sending it back to Atomic to check out the various parts then I'm sure they will take care of it. Keep updating me, we should be able to figure this out.

Ron

Ron,
I tried to update using the PC Cobalt Logbook tool. It looked like it was working but after more 1.5hrs it was doing nothing. It now is at the Connect to PC screen showing connected and will not respond to any buttons. What would you suggest the next steps to be.

Ron,
I tried to update using the PC Cobalt Logbook tool. It looked like it was working but after more 1.5hrs it was doing nothing. It now is at the Connect to PC screen showing connected and will not respond to any buttons. What would you suggest the next steps to be.

So the Cobalt is still showing the Connect to PC screen, but is stuck there and never went blank to start the update? This is something we have seen on very rare occasions- sorry it happened to you. It seems to come up if the connection fails at just the wrong instant. The only sure solution is a hard reset to bring the program back up- this involves removing the battery. This is not difficult, if you want to do it PM me and I'll give you the instructions, otherwise your dealer or Atomic can help. Eventually the battery will run down- if you see that, you can reset the computer without removing the battery by connecting the A/C adapter- not USB. Atomic will provide good support for this, and it doesn't mean updates will fail in the future.

Ron

Hi:

Work's got me kind of wrapped up, so it may take awhile before I can get more done. Thanks for the personalized help! To the best of my recollection:

1.) I just got the do not unplug message; no status bar showing partial progress.

2.) I've tried to do things in order per instructions as best I understood them.

3.) Since the Cobalt is 'bricked,' black screen & unresponsive to button pushes, I don't know how to tell when it eventually runs down, since it already looks dead.

4.) The connections have worked fine for charging it and downloading dives, and the connectors are recessed, so I don't believe dirty connectors are an issue. Cable is taken reasonable care of, too.

5.) I tried 2 different USB ports on the front of my computer, both direct to computer, neither a hub.

I can get access to a Windows PC if that would allow the computer to access it despite appearing dead.

Richard.

You can only tell the battery is run down by the Cobalt coming up to the Time/ Date screen about 20 seconds after connecting A/C power. Just don't leave it charging if it doesn't reset. Nothing is being damaged in the Cobalt, and it won't hurt it if it runs down. It's remotely possible that the program got as far as removing the existing firmware, though if you didn't see a status bar I very much doubt this. If the firmware was erased, it won't come up, otherwise a reset will give you back the original firmware.

The important part of the recovery sequence is starting the program on the Mac before the Cobalt is connected via USB. If you don't then get the message that it's ready for download, something is wrong with the connection. It's certainly worth trying the Windows PC- the Windows updater can update the Cobalt when it's dead without having to go through the unplugging- replugging sequence. you should hear the device tone when you plug it in. Of none of this works, maybe the best thing will be to get your Cobalt, adapter, and cable in for a checkup. As an aside, we have seen some USB problems with oil- probably sunscreen- getting onto the pins. Cleaning with a Q-tip and alcohol fixed them. That would interfere with downloading dives as well, though.

I have a 2008 MacBook Pro with ML as well here, and I've repeatedly bricked a Cobalt intentionally just to make sure that hardware isn't an issue, and it's come back up with the recovery procedure each time, so I don't think there is any problem with the Mac model. If you feel it would help to walk through the process on the phone, send me a PM and I'll give you a number to call.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom