Cochran dive computers... good or bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As indicated above, it takes really careful planning to avoid potential problems with the automatic gas switching in certain cave profiles. And with the limits of the interface that level of planning is either a PITA or requires a laptop.

And as you suggest, a lost gas scenario will leave the computer blissfully assuming you actually made a gas switch when you didn't. So your only options are to fall back on tables and/or contingency plans for the deco, or to use another computer.

Personally, I bought a Aladin Tec 2G which uses manual gas switching, for N Fl cave dives rather than continue to mess with the Cochran in that environment.

As for lost gas scenarios in offshore diving, I'll still just continue to carry a bottom timer (or the Tec 2G in gauge mode) on trimix dives, cut contigency plans and put them on a slate to cover anything where the automatic gas switching presents a problem.

The inability to cancel a planned gas switch is THE major weakness with the Cochran.

Can anybody give me one reason why I should have bought a Cochran rather than a Shearwater?

...check out this new thread over on 'thedecostop' :

The Deco Stop

Shearwater owners. Potting material problem. 5/27/09

Notice to all customers
Depth Sensor Potting
We have been experiencing an unusually high depth sensor failure rate with one of our potting compounds. As a result, we will replace the potting compound and depth sensors that have the soft potting.

We donÃÕ know what the failure rate is exactly, but it appears to be at least 10%. We are very concerned about someone missing a big trip or some other badly timed depth sensor failure.

As a preventative measure we ask that you check your dive computer using the methods described below.

Step 1:
Turn your computer upside down and locate the two half circle openings in the metal wrist strap bracket.

Step 2:
Using a key firmly press down into the compound under either half circle opening.

Step 3:
If your dive computer has soft potting you will notice a deforming around the key. Pressing the key down into the potting material will have a soft and spongy feeling.
Hard potting will feel like pushing on the case. It will not deform at all. If you have hard potting, this issue doesnÃÕ apply to you.
If you have a soft potted sensor, your can arrange to send your computer to one of our service centers to have the sensor changed. The computer will need to be returned prepaid and insured, and we will install a new sensor and return it prepaid and insured. Shipping instructions will depend on your location.

If you have a computer with the soft potting, please contact info@shearwater.com to reach your nearest service center for shipping instructions.

Note: It is highly unlikely that all of the soft potted sensors will fail. But there are situations where the depth sensor failing would be very inconvenient. You can chose to send it in when it is convenient for you, but we would suggest that if you have an expensive trip coming up where you plan to use the computer, that you send it in for repair.

...so now I think I've provided TWO 'strikes' against the Shearwater..... :D

I got that Email direct from Shearwater. My computer is OK. If it had the potential problem it would be fixed free of charge.

Great service from a very responsible manufacturer in my opinion. Other companies might just ignore a known problem and state that nothing was wrong.

Do you work for Cochran by any chance?

I got that Email direct from Shearwater. My computer is OK. If it had the potential problem it would be fixed free of charge.

Great service from a very responsible manufacturer in my opinion. Other companies might just ignore a known problem and state that nothing was wrong.

Do you work for Cochran by any chance?

...nope, no employment or other special relationship with Cochran...I've just had good luck with Cochrans...they offer a combination of features which really suits my needs, thats all...and remember, 'you' started it by asking why anyone might dive a Cochran over a Shearwater, sounds like you didn't really expect an answer. I'm not dogmatic on computers.....different strokes for different folks...nothing wrong with that.....if we're both happy with our choices...it's all good !

Is there any comman problem " cochran emc16 " that you know.
Are they rock solid.
How long have been using. "For cochran users"

Used Cochran Geminis for several years but a series of cracked cases and condescending attitudes from Cochran blaming me for overtightening battery caps made me convert my Geminis to flower pots and to steer clear of using their products.

I am looking for cochran emc 16"commander" for no decompression , air and nitrox dives.
I like it because of its price , battery life ,algorithym ,large screen ,no lock out .....
İts all beter than suunto's.
But i heard that they are not stable ,have some problems.I dont know is it right or wrong.

I just bought the Cochran EMC-20H, with a single F02. I wanted a non-AI wrist mount computer and like the layout on the Cochran. I was diving an air-only Aladdin Sport and Cochran gave me a huge credit on the old computer. I like the fact I can upgrade the computer to 2F02 or even PO2 if I ever go seriously insane. :D

I do not do any decompression dives, and currently have the conservatism at 0%. I did three days of diving (12 dives) in Key Largo with two friends, both diving Cobras. In comparing the bottom times, it was VASTLY different. On the last dive of the trip, one friend was showing 2 minutes no-decompression time, the Cochran showed 30 minutes! I have heard Suunto is on the more conservative side. That was as we were starting our ascent, so we kept within the Cobras limits. I do want to adjust the conservatism to closer match "typical" recreational computers.

The Analyst software is a bit of a disappointment. It looks like an old-school DOS application ported into Windows and its "log book" function is extremely cumbersome to enter information about the dives. The graphs provided had good information, but the software really isn't user friendly. The DataTrak software for my Aladdin was much easier to use.

Overall I like the Cochran.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom