Coco View Resort - Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was there June 7th thru the 14th 2003.No one got sick or had the poops that I know about. One person got bent. I got bit on the left knee up in the hills looking at some property and got up from the bar that evening with a swollen knee and trouble walking,but we had a vet on my boat a fellow texan who gave me some doggie meds and the next morning I was good to go.The 2 inch gouge on my right shin took over three weeks to heal be carefull around those wooden bed frames.The food was better than I remember from the last time I was there 17 years ago but stay away from something they called "pulled crab" I took one bite and headed out to the water to dispose of the nasty stuff.Had a great time.The staff was great and was impressed with how they have the dive boats set up and the gear storage. I would like a little more night life and cnn but I knew this before I went. I will go back.

I never have been in Roatan, but have been living and travelling extensively in Latin America for the last 5 years. I am European. I used to get sick all the time for the first month, no matter the quality of the restaurants. Now I no longer get sick in Mexico, I do in Europe! I am not a medical doctor, but my doctor tells me that the bacteria are just different, not necessarily bad, and that it takes some time to get used to them. This is no confort for the occasional traveler, of course. I now have a lot of experience with visitors in Mexico, and while they follow the basic rule of no salads, only raw food that they can peel, only bottled water (even to brush their teeth), no ice in their drinks, no food from little cute stands in the street, they seem to be fine. For the adventurous visitors that cannot resist minggling with the rest of the population, there is always that risk of a day or two of pain in their stomachs.

If I were you, I would follow those basic precautions, even if you are in the nicest of the resorts, and enjoy Roatan. I am jelaous!

Have fun,

Itziar

My wife and I were at CCV in Feb, 2003. she was getting her check dives out of the way, and I was to go later with her on her first "certified" dive. I chose to have lunch there while I waited.
The meal was tuna sandwiches, not on ice or chilled in any fashion, and potatoe salad, also not chilled in any matter. the food was warm as the air temps we had. I, stupidly, still ate this stuff, and got the runs for a few days after. I can't say for certain though that it was from that food, as as everyone is saying, it is a third world country, and who knows, it could have been the cruise ship food just as easily. I would go back to CCV in a heart beat, even if I knew I would get sick! that's how much I liked the place. Great staff, and the instructor my wife got was wonderful.
Funny thing was I even thought about eating all that hot food, but, hey I am a MAN!!! I can eat anything! true, but I also paid for it. I think I might have come in to eat right at the end, after it had set out too long. I should have said something, and I am sure they would have come up with something else for me to eat. My fault, not theirs as far as I am concerned

somehow the long post I just sent disappear, so I apologize if this info shows up in duplicate in the middle of the night.

I returned from CCV on Saturday. Counted 5 who developed diarrhea the same night, my roommate included. Quite a few got it to varying degrees over the next several days. Most did fairly well with immodium and antibiotics if available. But one diver & his buddy arranged to leave Roatan a day early; the poor guy was miserable & even running a fever.

As a doctor I was surprised at the number of ear infections that week. Some inner ear, others outer ear infections. Yes, some severe enough to stop diving. One guy suffered for a couple of days, getting worse & developing a fever. He finally went to the doc that runs the deco chamber near AKR. He was feeling a little better about 24hr after getting a shot of antibiotics. His cab fare & doctor's fee were covered by the $2/day chamber donation---support the local chambers!

CCV management were notified as soon as people started falling sick. Erin, the asst mgr, said they were testing the well water, kitchen, drinking water, some dive sites, and the "front yard" water with nothing definite found.

I didn't get sick, but maybe it was just luck. The no-see-um bites made up for it (yes, wearing Cactus Juice and deet, the bugs love me). Remember, it may be a resort but Roatan's still a 3rd world country. That means the whole sea is a septic system. Before you go ask your doctor for a 3 day course of Cipro to take if you should get tourista. I never travel without it. Get your Hepatitis A vaccination (yes, it's expensive & insurance probably won't cover it). Pay the chamber donation. If you do get sick you can ask for bottles of Gatorade from the kitchen.

i just returned from ccv on 07/23/03. 18 divers including myself
had the runnies and stomach cramps. the group leaving when we
got there also had 9 divers sick. the owner relalized he has a
problem and was trying to correct it, but i informed him that we
would not be back until it is fixed. it was so bad that i ran out
of clean underware. if you go, take protein bars and other quick
food along with imodium d just in case
good luck

I just returned from CCV 3 days ago. The intestinal problem is indeed a reality. During my 10 day trip I was sick for 8 days. The majority of people I talked to had to deal with it as well.

I'd still say GO, just be prepared, bring enough Imodium to deal with the problem, choose only cooked foods and talk to the owner.

Four of us went there last year and all were very disappointed with our trip. Great folks, but the food kept our stomachs in knots and did keep us from some dive trips. The no-seeums were bountifull but controlled if you stayed oiled up. If you forgot, you were ate up.
The walls were great, the shore dives were a challenge to get out to the deep and the visability was about 80' at the best.
Some at the resort loved the place, we have just been spoiled by Cozumel.

Based on what Evans told Undercurrent, we have to say that any future visit to CoCo View should be considered a crap shoot!

Literally!!!

I see that Undercurrent is getting a sense of humor.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom