Coco View Resort - Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me that Cocoview has been unfairly targeted with horror stories about people getting sick. I just returned from Fantasy Island in Roatan and was aware of several people at the resort getting sick. Most of the afflicted people I talked with had been eating raw vegetables from the salad bar (it's probably washed in untreated water). We always take the precaution of sticking to cooked foods and bottled water, even for brushing our teeth. We also take a few doses of Pepto Bismol before we leave, and maybe one a day whether we're having problems or not. We take the same precautions whenever we're in Mexico. Face it, the water in Mexico and Central America just doesn't agree with most American's digestive process. You may want to choose not to visit Roatan or Mexico because of the problem, but don't blame a single resort.

CocoView has not been unfairly treated nor singled out. More guests from this resort have chosen to post their experiences: good, bad, and runny. Any resort in any country, but especially the so-called 3rd world, can experience outbreaks of illness. My experiences were at CocoView in July, and fortunately never had a bit of trouble myself.

On your next trip wherever, take whatever precautions are necessary for your GI tract, especially if you tend to be sensitive to new environments. If you get tourista consider taking antibiotics along with that Immodium. If it's a bacterial diarrhea treated with Immodium alone you may prolong the illness. Outbreaks can also be caused by rotovirus, which has struck a number of cruise ships in the past year; antibiotics won't help a virus. Happy travels and good diving.

Ok so far I have heard people with horror stories about Coco View and FI. I have not heard anything about AKR or BIBR. I will be there Saturday August 16th (BIBR) and I am interested in knowing if anyone has had problems there.

I am usually one that does not get digestive problems as I am Latino and used to very spicy foods, but certaibnly do not want to mess up a whole week with the runs.

We were just about to sign with CCV, but all the horror stories definitely made us change our minds, after all cheap it is not.

So, does anyone have any information on BIBR and gastro probs?:confused:

I too am victim of CCV's unsanitary conditions. I have a stomach of nails and not prone to tourista but CCV got me, and got me good.

Re' third world countries...I've been in many third world countries without any problems, but CCV (not Roatan) clearly has a problem...and yes it is fair to single out this resort, because you just don't hear about them like you do at CCV.

I was also less than impressed with the service of the more senior staff. The managers were rude,less than friendly, & spent most of their time smoking cigs and drinking at the bar. The cooks, maids, bartender, and boat staff however were great.

My next trip to Roatan will be to AKR.

lindner514 once bubbled...
Well, we leave friday for a week at CCV...how do you folks think you got sick and what can we do to prevent it.

I just got back from ten days at Roatan (Oak Bay Resort -- see my trip report if you like on this Central America topic) and had no problems at all with tourista. However, I don't know how much of that was due to their hygene and how much was doe to my own actions. My advice is this...

1) do not drink the water, period. This includes using bottled water to brush my teeth and to rinse the toothbrush after the fact.

2) Keep your mouth shut while showering... you would be surprised how many people continuously put shower water in their mouths while bathing and are entirely unaware of having done so.

3) Beware of uncooked foods... esp. those that would have been rinsed in water (i.e. lettuce) prior to serving.

That said, someone else made a comment about ear infection... I, too, had this problem while diving Roatan. It's the first time that has ever happened to me. About the third day or so I started having problems with my right ear and it was downright uncomfortable and annoying by the end of the trip. There were four of us diving and two of us had ear problems. it took about a week at home before it started to "get right" again. I would recommend taking good ear drops along and using them after every dive. I've already purchased mine and added them to my dive travel kit for future use.

My wife and I just got back from a week at the CocoView (29 dives). We were very ery apprehensive, but 'what ya gonna do', we ate and drank everything with no problems. They think they traced the problem (no denial at all) to some kind of cheese they were using. They didn't use the cheese for the first time the week we were there. No one else got sick (as far as I know) the week we were there. I hope this was their problem. The resort is perfect...I wouldn't change a thing about it other than to remove the no-see-ums. We got to stay in one of the overwater bungalows...very charming. Several of the boat trips were two site dives rather than one site and a drop off. I would grade the visibility 'B'. The whole setup (dive lockers, air tanks, rinse tanks, etc) made it very easy to shore dive. We loved it and will definitely return. This place is for divers.

lindner514 once bubbled...
My wife and I just got back from a week at the CocoView (29 dives). We were very ery apprehensive, but 'what ya gonna do', we ate and drank everything with no problems. They think they traced the problem (no denial at all) to some kind of cheese they were using. They didn't use the cheese for the first time the week we were there. No one else got sick (as far as I know) the week we were there. I hope this was their problem. The resort is perfect...I wouldn't change a thing about it other than to remove the no-see-ums. We got to stay in one of the overwater bungalows...very charming. Several of the boat trips were two site dives rather than one site and a drop off. I would grade the visibility 'B'. The whole setup (dive lockers, air tanks, rinse tanks, etc) made it very easy to shore dive. We loved it and will definitely return. This place is for divers.

I've been hearing the same good reports. The cheese thing makes perfect sense. Beast and I have never gotten sick there and this last April, none of our group of 26 got sick. But the difference is, I think, is we didn't eat the cheese or any of the dairy products. They just don't taste that good! I know the kitchen has been remodeled and all new appliances put in.

Thanks for the report! See my response to this post...
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=389491#post389491

my husband and I are coming down in Sept. 2004, I've been reading the board, we can't wait to get there, one question. What are No See ums? how do u avoid them?

jenH:
my husband and I are coming down in Sept. 2004, I've been reading the board, we can't wait to get there, one question. What are No See ums? how do u avoid them?

No seeums are sand fleas. Bring anything with DEET. If you don't want to use chemical on your bod all week use Cactus Juice it worked for us but after a day I quit using it seems they don't like tough old hide :eyebrow: I didn't have any problems a few bites but not bad. They are more prevelent in early morn and evening. The breeze during the day keeps them away. http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/

OK the the turista stories are old. This resort has spent alot of money in 2003 to find the problem and fix it. Yes is was from a hounduran cheese product. The problem has been solved. CCV has completly remodeled the kitchen walk-in cooler new industrial dishwasher etc. The have installed a reverse osmois water purifier. We were there in July and all I drank was water except at the bar of course heh heh. The ice is good and the water in the clubhouse is good to drink. It tasted better than what we have at home. They provide a 5 gallon bottle of water for you in your room to drink. The resort is on a well system they just ask that you not drink the water from the faucet or shower or commode.

My husband is a salad lover he ate salad with every meal no problem. They wash everything with the pruified water. The food was good and I have a finicky stomach and I was more than full after every meal and never felt bad. I wished I had some of their coconut shrimp right now yummy.

If anyone passes up going because they are afraid of getting sick will be missing out on one of the best resorts in Roatan. :07:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom