Comfort of a BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I get really conflicting stories on this topic. The hard core BP/W folks say its just as comfortable as other types of BCDs. Non-BP/W folks say they are no where near as comfortable. I've even talked to stores that sell equal amounts of both and they swear BP/Ws are less comfortable.

What's the deal here? Is it a fit thing? Is it just brainwashing? Can a BP/W be as comfortable on land as a BC when only wearing a T-shirt? Or is that impossible.

Also, how hard is a BP/W to get one/off once its correctly adjusted? Is it much harder to get on/off than a back inflate BC? Is it possible to get in and out of a BP/W under the water? Does it matter on the harness? Transplate, Deluxe, Pro-Fit, Hog?

What's the scoop here?

My bp/w is not quite as comfortable on land if I'm hiking 200 yds or so without a wetsuit. Then again, my backplate is too large for me so it comes down low on the back of my hip bones and digs in a bit. (Irriatates my PSIS's for those who know what those are.)

With a wetsuit I feel I could walk a mile and still be comfortable. Havn't tried it though :crafty:

I've got the deluxe harness which has the shoulder quick release thing. In my opinoin it's just as easy to get in and out of as anything else I've worn. I've taken my rig completely off and put it back on underwater and that was easier then I expected it to be as long as you don't let your harness get tangled before you put it back on.

But hey maybe I'm brainwashed too.

the bp/wings may be less comfortable on land (due to the smaller size of material that actually comes into contact with your shoulders and acts as a load-bearing surface)

but

where it counts, in the water, it is infinetly superior to a bc

so, if you want to dive in dry land, yes, by all means use a BC

:wink:

that said, i wear twin steel 85's with a bp/wings and i am yet to feel "uncomfortable" with them on ... it's all relative

as to getting out of the bp/wings in the water, if you really have to, you can simply cut two straps with your knife and you are out. in that respect, it is much faster than a BC to get out of.

if you have time, then you can wiggle out of it just like a BC

Jarrett:
I get really conflicting stories on this topic. The hard core BP/W folks say its just as comfortable as other types of BCDs. Non-BP/W folks say they are no where near as comfortable. I've even talked to stores that sell equal amounts of both and they swear BP/Ws are less comfortable.

What's the deal here? Is it a fit thing? Is it just brainwashing? Can a BP/W be as comfortable on land as a BC when only wearing a T-shirt? Or is that impossible.

Also, how hard is a BP/W to get one/off once its correctly adjusted? Is it much harder to get on/off than a back inflate BC? Is it possible to get in and out of a BP/W under the water? Does it matter on the harness? Transplate, Deluxe, Pro-Fit, Hog?

What's the scoop here?
Personally I think BPW is far more comfortable than a traditional stab jacket type BCD.

They can be a little harder to get in and out of due to having no adjustable shoulder buckles/straps...but you get better with practice.

The other week I was away on business and decided to do a dive. I had forgotten my cam straps so for simplicity sake I borrowed a traditional BCD...Uggg... Definantly an uncomfortable device.

I started off diving a scubapro blue stab jacket just over a year ago. It was a hand-me down so the price was right. It did its job underwater, but I couldn't wait to purchase my first BCD. I did quite a bit of reading and looking around at shops and I ended up with the DiveRite Transpac. It was a very nice rig that was comfortable and easy to adjust. I then traded the transpac harness for an AL backplate with standard 2" webbing.
I can say that I am very happy with the backplate as compared to the other BCDs that I have dove. Granted I don't have a vast amount of experience, but I prefer clean lines without a lot of bulk.

As far as comfort goes I say that the BP/W is extremely comfortable on land or in the water. Once geared up with a single AL80 I can comfortably walk without being hunched over. Just recently in Bonaire we dove a couple of sites where we ended up walking about a block to get to a better shore entry point. No signs of discomfort. Once underwater the BCD becomes something that you don't even think about.

I have done several dives in only my swim trunks. It is still comfy, but the webbing will wear a little bit, but it hasn't ever been anything that I worried too much about.

Regarding donning and doffing the rig on land.....no issues for me. The 2" webbing is stiff and as such holds its shape so that you can easily slide your arms in while the rig rests on a table. It is equally easy to lift up and don without the use of a table or buddy. Taking off the rig is as simple as doing the chicken wing out one side. I have yet to try and doff the rig underwater.
I prefer the hog harness over the deluxe harness that I had on the transpac. For one, I like the idea of being able to replace the entire harness by going to my dive shop and then re-rigging it for very minimal cost.

Those are my impressions and I hope they help you out. Try one out.....it's the only sure way to know.

I also like the idea of swapping out wings if/when I go to doubles. And when I packed for Bonaire I was able to break the rig down real slim. The backplate and harness went into one suitcase, the wing folded up in my carry on, and the cam straps went into another small bag. It sure beats the bulk that you get packing a standard jacket style BCD.

I have Halcyon BP/W setup so far so good comfortable than traditional BCD... try before buy "fit and comfort" is more important...

Like alot of people I started out with a jacket style BC and then moved over to a BP/W...and like most of those people I am not going back. It is more uncomfortable at the surface, but like the post king said.....you dont dive them on land. Underwater it is an amazing difference...you feel almost naked...and that is what matters.

I switched from a ScubaPro Knighthawk BCD to a DiveRite backplate/wing a few months ago.

Honestly, on land or a boat, I don't notice any difference in comfort, per se, but I do notice that I fell less encumbered in the backplate/wing combo. Getting geared up seems easier, at least to me. Part of that is just having less around the chest area. The BP/W also requires the wearer to have things configured in a very efficient manner.

In the water, without question, the BP/W is more comfortable. The plate and wing make buoyancy and trim easier, as well. For me, the BP/W is the hands down winner under water.

The only place the jacket style BC is a bit more comfortable is on the surface. The Knighthawk, being a back inflate, was probably not as comfortable as a more traditional jacket style BC, but it was still easier to manage while on the surface.

I consider this a minor point. Neither a BCD nor a BP/W are designed to be flotation devices, so it is something of a moot point. But waiting on the surface for the boat, or surfacing for some other reason, I find my BP/W a bit more difficult. However, that is a small price to pay for all the other benefits.

Jeff

Jarrett:

What's the scoop here?

I agree, the Bp/Wing is not as comfortable on the surface, compared to a bunch of foam on your back and shoulders. I use a Hog Rig so there is no padding, but in the water there is nothing better IMO..... I switched from a traditional BC and will not go back. I do dives with just a under armor shirt (Weather permitting) and does not hurt at all. Getting out of it is easy, you just have to have a method. I set the cylinder on the back of the jeep and slide out. For me getting in and out is very easy and I am a big guy. Try it for you self and you can then draw a conclusion. There are allot of opinions.

I took my OW class in a jacket BC, bought a back-inflate, and now dive a BP/W.

I hated the jacket, even before I knew there was anything else. I didn't like the feeling of being encased in it when it inflated.

My back inflate was never completely comfortable, because it didn't fit correctly. It was too sloppy, and allowed the tank to move around too much. The BP/W, because of its infinite adjustability, could be fitted to me correctly, and keeps the tank stable. I also like how little of it there is.

On the other hand, my husband has had a chance to dive both his back inflate and a BP/W, and says he finds very little difference between the two in comfort or in ease of diving. His BC fits him correctly, and offers trim weight pockets so he can move weight around to get trimmed out horizontally.

I have never dived without some kind of suit, but I have hiked a quarter mile up and down hill in my BP/W/Hog harness and been amazed at how comfortable I was. I did not expect that at all. On the surface, I have always found that the BP/W setup, whether with a single tank or with doubles, tends to make me lie on my BACK (contrary to popular belief) and is very much like lying on a waterbed.

I don't think fear of it being uncomfortable should keep someone from trying a BP/W setup if they are interested in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom