Complaints about losing old likes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

based upon the presentation and functionality, i claim the old likes system got dumped and a brand new fancy thanks/likes system got jammed in its place.

saving the old like stats and trying to convert them to the new different system would be a PITA. so it was not done.

makes perfect sense to me.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are now free to speak what is truly on our minds, regardless of whether we are going to get a "like" in return, or not... does that not scare some of us? Hell yes, it should! Let it burn, baby... let it go...

kr2y5: where is the <sarcasm thanks> feature?

maybe we need a "yur welcome" as a comeback for a thanks?

Ladies and gentlemen, we are now free to speak what is truly on our minds, regardless of whether we are going to get a "like" in return, or not... does that not scare some of us? Hell yes, it should! Let it burn, baby... let it go...

kr2y5: where is the <sarcasm thanks> feature?

maybe we need a "yur welcome" as a comeback for a thanks?

dislike

dislike

Space wasted by the box with Post thanks/like.

I haven't read the whole thread, but today discovered all my old likes have disappeared. I'm not too happy about it. For whatever reason I like to sometimes look at them it gives me warm fuzzies. If it's been addressed already I aopolgise but if not I'd like to see them be returned. I support the site because I liked it in its entirety, with old likes removed I'm not so sure.

---------- Post added January 18th, 2015 at 12:47 AM ----------

For those who didn't read the original thread:

This morning (yesterday at this point), I updated a plugin on the site that was outdated and a security risk (by updated I mean, I removed the existing plugin and replaced it with something else). This plugin is responsible for the URL Rewrites from ugly things likewww.scubaboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499437 into nice URL's like -> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/equipment-and-accessories/499437-handheld-gps.html

While I've tried to make all of the settings between the old program and the new, there are some differences, and some pages may result in 404 (Page not found).

I can try to manage some of the 404 errors if I'm told about them (here) and can look for a new likes system.

For the likes... unfortunately, they were part of the old plugin which is horribly outdated, the company who made it is out of business, and was a security vulnerability for ScubaBoard. So at this point, I'm sorry to say that the likes have gone the way of the dodo.

--

(additional comments added 1/18)

To sum it up about the Likes which were part of the old plugin VBSEO (Google VBSEO if you want... it's a virus on this site waiting to happen, so I had to get rid of it) had to go. I'm sorry if you liked your likes, but in the illustrious words of Mr. Spock, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. Your old likes are gone. I added a NEW LIKE/Thanks plugin that is completely independent of the SEO plugin, so there shouldn't be any issue of "losing" them in the future.

Additionally, I've moved the "Thanks/Like" feature to below the signature line, inside the post instead of below the post box.

Thanks again for your understanding. If you're angry, once again, I'm sorry, but the security of this website and everyone's computers who uses this site is more important than some status count.

I see the new location for the Like and Thanks button. Much cleaner looking.

The new feature does make it easy as one is reading through a thread to see who has responded to each post, but when a user checks his Notifications he has no way to quickly review which individual post has been Thanked or Liked, unless he/she clicks on that notification, to return to the post itself. If there is some way that a few words of the post could be included in the Notification, as was done in the discontinued system, it would be useful and welcome. :D

Right now I am sure that you are still playing whack-a-mole with issues, so I am not expecting miracles, or instant gratification. Just offering suggestions and observations.

I am having problems this morning accessing SB through Forum Runner on my smart phone. Possibly not even related to the SB changes. ??

Good luck. yours is NOT a job I would want!

For those who didn't read the original thread:

This morning (yesterday at this point), I updated a plugin on the site that was outdated and a security risk (by updated I mean, I removed the existing plugin and replaced it with something else). This plugin is responsible for the URL Rewrites from ugly things likewww.scubaboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499437 into nice URL's like -> http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/equipment-and-accessories/499437-handheld-gps.html

While I've tried to make all of the settings between the old program and the new, there are some differences, and some pages may result in 404 (Page not found).

I can try to manage some of the 404 errors if I'm told about them (here) and can look for a new likes system.

For the likes... unfortunately, they were part of the old plugin which is horribly outdated, the company who made it is out of business, and was a security vulnerability for ScubaBoard. So at this point, I'm sorry to say that the likes have gone the way of the dodo.

--

(additional comments added 1/18)

To sum it up about the Likes which were part of the old plugin VBSEO (Google VBSEO if you want... it's a virus on this site waiting to happen, so I had to get rid of it) had to go. I'm sorry if you liked your likes, but in the illustrious words of Mr. Spock, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. Your old likes are gone. I added a NEW LIKE/Thanks plugin that is completely independent of the SEO plugin, so there shouldn't be any issue of "losing" them in the future.

Additionally, I've moved the "Thanks/Like" feature to below the signature line, inside the post instead of below the post box.

Thanks again for your understanding. If you're angry, once again, I'm sorry, but the security of this website and everyone's computers who uses this site is more important than some status count.

dislike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom