Complaints about losing old likes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is surprising that a human could not somehow filter out say the top 100 or 200 people with the most likes, dislikes, posts etc. and then manually transfer those data to the new system. It would require time and would not capture the history for most users but then again, it is surprising to me that all that data was irretrievably lost.

It is kinda ridiculous arguing over "imaginary, credibility currency" on the internet. Hate to see this turn into a chit-storm.

Last edited:
It is surprising that a human could not somehow filter out say the top 100 or 200 people with the most likes, dislikes, posts etc. and then manually transfer those data to the new system….

Sounds really tedious if the data is in a readable format versus some sort of bazar proprietary format. Maybe one of the software pros on the board could volunteer their services to HowardE for the task if the loss bothers them enough. Maybe the same could be done with the “Thanks” data that was lost about 5 years ago?

I apologize for the inconvenience and the angst brought about by the change from VBSEO to Dragonbyte. There is no question that we had to get rid of the old and we weren't happy that it meant losing our likes system. But, what can you do? We don't code these things so we are at their mercy as to what they will and will not support. This is especially true when a company simply goes out of business and leaves us hanging. We've been hard pressed to keep up with the changes in search engines, so a change was considered. When it became apparent that we had a security problem on top of that, it simply had to go. It was indeed a virus waiting to happen and we do our level best to keep you and your PC safe.

The good news is that the new likes/thanks system is not dependent on our SEO solution. If/when we have to change our SEO, this won't have to change at all. The bad news is that because of the different way the SEOs operate, there is no path for us to be able to add the old likes to the new. We certainly would if we could, but they are simply incompatible. I did find my likes/thanks as part of my notifications and they can also be found in my profile under the Post/Thanks Like tab. I actually like the idea that we can like and/or thank a post. Only time will tell if it impacts us much going forward.

Anyway, again I apologize fot the invconvenience. We certainly don't have any other options at this point but to go forward.

… We don't code these things so we are at their mercy as to what they will and will not support. This is especially true when a company simply goes out of business and leaves us hanging….

Understandable.

… When it became apparent that we had a security problem on top of that, it simply had to go. It was indeed a virus waiting to happen and we do our level best to keep you and your PC safe….

That’s a show-stopper all right.

…The good news is that the new likes/thanks system is not dependent on our SEO solution. If/when we have to change our SEO, this won't have to change at all. The bad news is that because of the different way the SEOs operate, there is no path for us to be able to add the old likes to the new...

Just brain storming here. Is it possible to get a total of the “Likes” and/or “Thanks” from the older system by username? “Perhaps” that total alone could be indicated somewhere in the user profile — “Archived Likes” perhaps? If not, and given that this could/will happen again, maybe this concept can be considered before any future update is considered? Maybe enough people would consider volunteering labor or donate funds to make it happen?

Sure some of the consternation is ego, but the various forms of approval are also useful when we are unfamiliar with a subject. They also saved clogging up a thread with a bunch of repetitive agreement without any added information.

The Likes system we used was an integral part of vBSEO. There was simply no export feature on it. The hooks it used to keep track of it all are pretty obscure and we can't simply call them up for assistance since they are out of business. Dragonbyte does not have such a feature, so we had to use another product. Of course, it has no import feature and the hooks are not remotely the same. That's why we say that they are incompatible.

I think that over time, and even a short time at that, the people who got likes before will get likes now. It will soon become apparent who to listen to and who to ignore in that respect.

I apologize for the inconvenience and the angst brought about by the change from VBSEO to Dragonbyte. There is no question that we had to get rid of the old and we weren't happy that it meant losing our likes system. But, what can you do? We don't code these things so we are at their mercy as to what they will and will not support. This is especially true when a company simply goes out of business and leaves us hanging. We've been hard pressed to keep up with the changes in search engines, so a change was considered. When it became apparent that we had a security problem on top of that, it simply had to go. It was indeed a virus waiting to happen and we do our level best to keep you and your PC safe.

The good news is that the new likes/thanks system is not dependent on our SEO solution. If/when we have to change our SEO, this won't have to change at all. The bad news is that because of the different way the SEOs operate, there is no path for us to be able to add the old likes to the new. We certainly would if we could, but they are simply incompatible. I did find my likes/thanks as part of my notifications and they can also be found in my profile under the Post/Thanks Like tab. I actually like the idea that we can like and/or thank a post. Only time will tell if it impacts us much going forward.

Anyway, again I apologize fot the invconvenience. We certainly don't have any other options at this point but to go forward.

Dislike

---------- Post added January 18th, 2015 at 06:12 PM ----------

The Likes system we used was an integral part of vBSEO. There was simply no export feature on it. The hooks it used to keep track of it all are pretty obscure and we can't simply call them up for assistance since they are out of business. Dragonbyte does not have such a feature, so we had to use another product. Of course, it has no import feature and the hooks are not remotely the same. That's why we say that they are incompatible.

I think that over time, and even a short time at that, the people who got likes before will get likes now. It will soon become apparent who to listen to and who to ignore in that respect.

Dislike

Pete, is it possible with the new Like and Thanks button for the Notifications feature to post something a bit more specific than just which thread a button has been clicked in? Like which post that click was in?

For some folks the Likes and Thanks are more than just counting coupe. With the old system a person who posts quite often could get a quick feel for the response to a particular post or comment, without rereading every single post. Sometimes a Like or Thanks can happen long after your original comment, and I found it useful in general conversation to know that someone was suddenly commenting on a subject because they had come across an earlier post.

To me I see nothing all that bad about the changes, but I will certainly miss being able to review the reaction to particular posts, even long after that conversation.

Hopefully, they'll make improvements on this and we can do just that. Like I said, we don't write the peograms and there aren't that many to choose from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom