Computer choices- different from St. Lawrence to Carribean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Air_Miser

Reaction score
So I'm planning on buying a computer this year, and a lot of the discussion the Computer forum is centred around diving down south, ie once every 6 months spending a week on a live-aboard, and I'm wondering what thoughts people have on the difference between that and diving up here; i.e. a few dives every week in the St. Lawrence, and how this would affect choice in computers.

Specifically....I'm leaning towards the Suunto Vyper. The main negative comment that seems to come up is that the Suunto's are too conservative, so that by the end of 4 days of diving 4-5 dives a day every day, your allowable bottom time is much lower than non-Suunto computers.

My take is that this is a non-issue for 99.99% of my diving, but I'm curious to hear what other Locals have to say.

Thanks in advance for comments/thoughts.

Matt.

Matt
The Vyper is what I use up here, and down south. I've never had an issue with it -- even when I've been an absolute dive-a-holic.

I watch how/what I dive, so I'm not going "over the top", but on one vaction I was doing 4 dives a dive for 5-6 days, and it didn't give me any grief.

Air_Miser:
So I'm planning on buying a computer this year, and a lot of the discussion the Computer forum is centred around diving down south, ie once every 6 months spending a week on a live-aboard, and I'm wondering what thoughts people have on the difference between that and diving up here; i.e. a few dives every week in the St. Lawrence, and how this would affect choice in computers.

Specifically....I'm leaning towards the Suunto Vyper. The main negative comment that seems to come up is that the Suunto's are too conservative, so that by the end of 4 days of diving 4-5 dives a day every day, your allowable bottom time is much lower than non-Suunto computers.

My take is that this is a non-issue for 99.99% of my diving, but I'm curious to hear what other Locals have to say.

Thanks in advance for comments/thoughts.

Matt.

If you have to buy a computer and I mean if, the Vyper is a good choice as you can use it in gauge mode, I would recommend learning your tables better first.

I wish I had not bought a computer. Atleast mine cost me only a fraction of what a Viper goes for.

Do you have a drysuit? If you live and dive in canada and don't have one i would suggest you get one before you get a computer. It will make your diving much more enjoyable.

eric

I'd also recommend Vyper. I dive with it here and down South without any problem. True, it's more conservative than others but I consider it's a good thing. Moreover you can later switch into gauge mode as Tom said and it also fits on dry suit ;-)

Thanks for the comments all.

Tom- I know the tables pretty well, but I want a computer for the gains to be had on multi-level dives, and multi multi-level dives. I take it you're not a big fan, any particular reason? I understand and respect that they're not to be relied on, (i.e. throw away the tables and treat the computer as gospel) but used properly, seems there's much to be gained.

Eric- Yep, bought a drysuit, best investment I ever made!

Air_Miser:

Tom- I know the tables pretty well, but I want a computer for the gains to be had on multi-level dives, and multi multi-level dives. I take it you're not a big fan, any particular reason? I understand and respect that they're not to be relied on, (i.e. throw away the tables and treat the computer as gospel) but used properly, seems there's much to be gained.

Matt

As GUE trained divers, one of our principles is to never replace skill with a piece of equipment. Knowing the tables forward and backwards combined with the ability to perform a variable ascent profile, use of the appropiate gas mixture (never air), having exceptional buoyancy and an understanding of advanced dive and gas planning means that we are able to do all of our diving right up to the edge of the no decompression limits without relying on a computer to tell us what to do. I won't go into the details of exactly how to do this here since I am not an instructor and this is all taught on the DIR fundamentals course, one of which is running in Ottawa on the May long weekend.

Well Air_Miser, you can assume they are anti-computers. They think it's too much of a crutch for anyone to endure.

Sure, doing in your head isn't very hard, really, but it also ain't all that different for most, in 99% of recreational situations, and probably in your situation as well. I still use my cheapo antiquated one for a depth gauge and timer, and yes, I still watch the little bar-graphs on the sides :)

For most Rec divers, it can be considered a "preference" at best, and at worst, an arguement not worth it's weight in cyber ink.

As MHK (GUE Instructor) has said many time, run some profiles and look at the pattern that develops.

Enjoy. And watch those ascent speeds, as that'll hurt ya more than few extra mins at depth!

Steve

Air_Miser:

I dive with a viper absolutely no complaints whatsoever I dive it all summer long in quaries (thedformines to morisson) and in brockville. I do dive with another bottom timeras a second source of info. The other instructor who works with me dives a casio computer on US navy tables and usually we are within 5 minutes of allowed bottom time his being usually less permissive. With the drysuit one of my best investments

Back
Top Bottom