computer dependent divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmac:
..snip..
But, maybe its from using Microsoft products for so long but I have absolutely NO faith in any type of computer! I kept looking down and expecting to see the blue screen of death "Fatal Error" notice...

I had one, actually just sold it a few weeks ago... bought it 4 years ago and it had 3 dives on it and it hadn't been out of its case in over 2 years! My problem was I never trusted it, I was always checking it against real gauges like my P.T. bottom timer I've had since the 80's... (Hey... That was technology in its day! :wink: )

Maybe in a couple years I'll try going high tech again... Just won't hold my breath...

:crush:

Yeah, I never once saw a blue screen of death on my slide-rule, and the batteries never run down, and it works at 100m.... :wink:

Someone needs to start another thread where everyone can post about how little they rely on their computer.

Threads like this one seem to always go back to the old days, when basic open water classes were like Navy Seal training. Is it so hard to grasp that recreational diving done by the majority (on vacation, once/twice a year, warm water, less than 60', dive master in the water, etc.) just isn't that complicated? Dive from any large boat in a resort area. You'll see plenty of poor skills, dangling gear, and reliance on technology but at the end of the day everyone seems to make it out of the water safely. While you are critiquing some infrequent diver's rig and habits because of something you read on Scubaboard, they're enjoying the underwater enviroment, oblivious to your concern. You couldn't dive at all without technology. I'm sure that some breath hold sponge divers of the 40's looked at the first demand valve and lamented the loss of a way of life too. Get over it.

recreational diveing or tech diveing ,in the end it is the person useing the tool not the tool. with my computer when in dive mode depth ,time remaining , max dept during dive ,nitrogen bar are all there to look at ,how much one takes in at any given part of dive depends on dive .example at a 100' dive I pay close attention to time remaining as well as nitforgen bar . at 30' dive pay more attention to nitrogen bar and psi in tank than time remaining. for repetive dive ,I allow 1-1.5 hour surface interval and plan dept and time acording to the dive site ,always with in rdp with .I know this info from learning it and going back over it ,my computer just makes the dive easyer.if my computer quits during dive ,signal buddy and ascend to surface ,day od diveing is over for me ,safety first . live to dive another day

yknot:
Threads like this one seem to always go back to the old days, when basic open water classes were like Navy Seal training. Is it so hard to grasp that recreational diving done by the majority (on vacation, once/twice a year, warm water, less than 60', dive master in the water, etc.) just isn't that complicated? Dive from any large boat in a resort area. You'll see plenty of poor skills, dangling gear, and reliance on technology but at the end of the day everyone seems to make it out of the water safely.... Get over it.

nonsense, if someone does an openwater course with PADI or any other course with another agency and can't dive properly then the instructor is bad. If the diver doesn't keep their skills up to scratch they DO place themselves and people around them at risk.

Poor buoyancy skills esp should stop people getting in the water, people bouncing up and down are likely to get bent or suffer an overexpansion injury, neither particularly clever.

Whether you are a resort diver doing a couple of dives a year or out every weekend is frankly irrelevant, as sadly not everyone does get out of the water safely.

DORSETBOY:
nonsense, if someone does an openwater course with PADI or any other course with another agency and can't dive properly then the instructor is bad. If the diver doesn't keep their skills up to scratch they DO place themselves and people around them at risk.

Poor buoyancy skills esp should stop people getting in the water, people bouncing up and down are likely to get bent or suffer an overexpansion injury, neither particularly clever.

Whether you are a resort diver doing a couple of dives a year or out every weekend is frankly irrelevant, as sadly not everyone does get out of the water safely.

What does any of this have to do with the original post, which is an observation about how a lot of divers appear to be reliant on their computer? How is reliance on this piece of technology a danger to other divers? Why blame an agency or instructor? Chances are, the diver in question was proficient enough to pass a course using tables at one time, they just aren't using them any longer. BTW, using tables as taught during a basic open water class, how many divers could make 5 dives a day during a live aboard trip? What do poor bouyancy skills have to do with computer usage?

yknot:
What does any of this have to do with the original post, which is an observation about how a lot of divers appear to be reliant on their computer? How is reliance on this piece of technology a danger to other divers? Why blame an agency or instructor? Chances are, the diver in question was proficient enough to pass a course using tables at one time, they just aren't using them any longer. BTW, using tables as taught during a basic open water class, how many divers could make 5 dives a day during a live aboard trip? What do poor bouyancy skills have to do with computer usage?

because..

1). Many many divers use a computer and are totally reliant on it without understanding the theory and good diving practice essential for safe usage. eg. no saw tooth profiles (which computers let you do)

2). If they dont understand the theory and good diving practices then it is the fault of either the instructor for not teaching or the diver for forgetting or not listening in the first place.

3). Poor buoyancy skills put you at risk of dcs. You can end up going deeper than intended or bouncing up and down all the time.

In answer to the comments about table usage, absolutely right, they wont typically let you do as many dives as computers will. Doesn't mean you don't plan your own dive which in that situation I'd do on the wheel.

Computers help you follow the plan you worked out on the boat.

bubble blower:
I'm really sorry I brought this up.
I wasn't trolling, and I'm not a cranky old man... I was commenting on diver awareness, nothing more.
Forget about it...

oh, don't apologise. i found this thread to be very interesting. i've always wondered how some other ppl use their computer.

underwater daphne:
oh, don't apologise. i found this thread to be very interesting. i've always wondered how some other ppl use their computer.

I've actually read about a couple of uses that could get me to use them... I like the idea of being able to download the profile and log to the pc, and as a "slow your butt down" warning system... Maybe a computer would just add to my redundant gear obsession!

Maybe I need a better model than that thing I did have... Won't mention a brand name but I don't even like their fins... why'd I buy their computer
???

:wink:

DORSETBOY:
because..

1). Many many divers use a computer and are totally reliant on it without understanding the theory and good diving practice essential for safe usage. eg. no saw tooth profiles (which computers let you do)

2). If they dont understand the theory and good diving practices then it is the fault of either the instructor for not teaching or the diver for forgetting or not listening in the first place.

3). Poor buoyancy skills put you at risk of dcs. You can end up going deeper than intended or bouncing up and down all the time.

In answer to the comments about table usage, absolutely right, they wont typically let you do as many dives as computers will. Doesn't mean you don't plan your own dive which in that situation I'd do on the wheel.

Computers help you follow the plan you worked out on the boat.

1) So what. Tables don't allow for saw tooth profiles. For that matter, is there a large training agency that condones reverse profiles? The whole point of a computer, in some cases, is that these dives can be done safely and extend dive time. Whether you like these dive profiles personally or not, can you offer any factual evidence that they are "wrong"?

2) Agree absolutely. The problem is that with or without a computer, most divers don't dive often enough to remember tables and theories from year to year. In these cases, having a computer to rely on is better, IMO, than relying on a poor or non-existant understanding of tables.

3) OK. But what does this have to do with computers? Do divers without computers inherently pay more attention to their position in the water column? Does a reliance on computers infer a greater risk of DCS? Do bouyancy skills fade with a loss of table usage skills?

kmac:
I've actually read about a couple of uses that could get me to use them... I like the idea of being able to download the profile and log to the pc, and as a "slow your butt down" warning system... Maybe a computer would just add to my redundant gear obsession!

Maybe I need a better model than that thing I did have... Won't mention a brand name but I don't even like their fins... why'd I buy their computer
???

:wink:

ye, and i feel better using a computer now. after reading all the threads about computers being unreliable, are only used by "bad" divers, etc i was beginning to question my faith in my suunto. personally i depend on my computer like i depend on all of my gear for diving.
i'm lousy at maths, even simple things and i don't know what would be more reliable in the long run - my comp or my table skills. i don't really understand why i should plan with both? if my comp were to fail underwater i still have my buddy as a backup. and seriously i look at my comp quite often and if i noticed something was wrong, then the dive would be off.

Back
Top Bottom