computer dependent divers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
OK so Buddy separation and on the way to the surface. Your computer has crapped out and you were relying on the buddies.

You have stops to do.

How many? For how long? At what depths? How will you measure any of these without backup gauges and plans ?
Forget it . . . .

OK, I'll put one in your court, you've lost your buddy and your bottom timer, watch and spg have all crapped out. What are you going to do?

Ah. Finally you admit you have no idea of how to deal with a not impossible underwater scenario.

You just dont give up do you.

As you stated yourself the chances of lots of failiures at once is slim.

The chance of a computer and a watch and a depth gauge failing at once AND a buddy separation is tiny compared to the very real chance of buddy separation and a failiure of a single instrument

I take it you dont advocate carrying ponys or redundant air sources too? After all the chances of buddy separation AND you running low on air are so remote it cant happen. Its never happened of course.

Could you quote me the differences in statistical probabilities between the two?

The Kracken:
Could you quote me the differences in statistical probabilities between the two?

Read the incident reports, its very clear to work it out for yourself

Another question, why do you think technical divers tend to wear 2, often 3 computers on a dive ? By your reasoning it must be because they have too much money because a computer wont fail and certainly more chance of aliens invading than 2 failing.

Odd then they wear them as a safety precaution in CASE they get a failiure.

Please forgive me, I've let this thread run off course from the original question put forth by the member.

My apologies.

String:
OK so Buddy separation and on the way to the surface. Your computer has crapped out and you were relying on the buddies.

You have stops to do.

How many? For how long? At what depths? How will you measure any of these without backup gauges and plans ?

You're reaching. A wise man would give up about now....

R..

The Kracken:
Forget it . . . .

OK, I'll put one in your court, you've lost your buddy and your bottom timer, watch and spg have all crapped out. What are you going to do?

ascend as fast as the small bubbles, estimate when I reach an estimated 5 meters from the surface (assuming the vis is that good), stop there until the tank is hard to breath from and surface. What else could you do?

This may be a strange question to interject here but how many of you have had YOUR computer fail on a dive? :)

All this talk about what might, could, may, possibly happen is wonderful. Someone must have the actual statistics, or are they so low no-one can find them?

I don't see what all the fuss is about.. the computer is a 'convenience'.. nothing more.. before each dive I put together a dive plan with tables.. I track my depth with my depth guauge.. the computer serves as a backup and timing device.. It has all the info in one spot.. max depth.. time elapsed.. I usually ignore the NDL on the computer and go with the more conservative tables.. If the computer were do crap out, its no big deal bacause I already knew how deep I was and for how long (approximately) I was there.. I abort the dive.. surface.. have an extended surface interval (or maybe even take a day off) and we are all good to go again.. The computer is nothing more than a convenience.. It also allows me to download my profile to my computer for future reference.. I can put markers in my dive log during the dive by pressing a button.. that way I can analyze my dive after and know exactly at which poiint during the dive something exciting happened.. not that that's a requirement..its just convenient.

TheDivingPreacher:
This may be a strange question to interject here but how many of you have had YOUR computer fail on a dive? :)

I have. I looked at my buddy's computer for the bottom time. It happened at a site I knew well and I could tell the depth by where we were.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom