Computers Suck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The guy was obviously pretty upset when he wrote that. The majority of his blog is a rant because he had a bad day. He does make several valid points:

-You don't need a computer
-Computers can break
-If you rely heavily on your computer and it breaks it can ruin your day

On the other hand, his case also demonstrates:

- If you don't rely entirely on your computer and it breaks it's no big a deal

That's what I think

-Klaus

I could have told him that computers were an unnecessary expense (in fact if he has spent much time on Scuba Board there is a good chance I already have.)

Well he learned a small part of the lesson on his own. There is more... much more.

Computers Rot Your Brain.

No computers do not suck.........divers need to know how to deal with them when they do malfunction.........because if you dive long enough they will.

If OW divers would take a page or two from the technical rules they would realize that you need to plan on things going wrong and have a contingency plan to deal with them. IMO, AI computers are a waste of money. Anyone who dives with one and does not have a BU spg and depth guage is not taking their safety all too serious or they just don't think. Now, if you are only diving in clear warm water and less than 70 feet then I will give you a break but most don't stay within those parameters. If you're going to carry that BU gear then why have the AI in the first place. Computers don't take place of your brain and your tables. They only assist. I would bet large amounts of money that those who have been diving their computers the last year or so and don't plan their dives can't remember how to calc MOD with a certain mix......those EANx divers, or those who can remeber how to use the tables at all.

Since a dive computer, even a conservative one like my Aladin Pro, allows me to dive a multilevel profile that far exceeds typical recreational table NDL's, on what basis can anyone use square tables as a backup plan in such a profile? NDL for 100 feet as everyone knows, is 20 minutes. My last dive was a multilevel dive with maximum depth of 100 feet and 30 minutes into the dive I still had 22 minutes of NDL time remaining.

In addition, if one goes off the computer and on to tables for the second dive, how can the tables be used when there is no PG for the dive profile above?

crispos:
Since a dive computer, even a conservative one like my Aladin Pro, allows me to dive a multilevel profile that far exceeds typical recreational table NDL's, on what basis can anyone use square tables as a backup plan in such a profile? NDL for 100 feet as everyone knows, is 20 minutes. My last dive was a multilevel dive with maximum depth of 100 feet and 30 minutes into the dive I still had 22 minutes of NDL time remaining.

and I don't need a computer to calculate my average depth. I can do your same dive with my bottom timer and my brain and be just fine.

From what i can see with that the bloke has entirely missed the point. Nobody anywhere has EVER advocated relying on a single computer and nothing else as a single source of decompression information. In the same way you dont rely on 1 regulator as it wont ever break and so on.

Computers can make diving massively easier and on certain types of dives greatly extend bottom time. Although rare they can break - thats why i carry tables as a backup along with a watch - if my computer does die it means i'll have to do longer stops (as my dives are never square profile) but its not a major issue, i can still get out of the water without violating them.

As with most diving kit - plan for it to go wrong and if it does you wont be caught out. *NEVER* assume something will just work.

My BC could break - its OK ive got my drysuit.
My drysuit could break - Use BC for bouyancy and abort dive due to cold.
My main reg could fall apart - Its OK ive got my octo (or buddy)
My analogue depth gauge could fail - its OK theres still my computer and vice versa
My SPG could fail - dive ending event. Abort immediately

And so on.

FWIW ive never yet had a computer die on me but i have had my analogue divers watch flood and break on a dive.

terrydarc:
What do you think?
I think that this subject has been hacked to death, the bloody pieces left to rot in the sun and the street washed clean again by the rain. There is nothing left to mark it's passing but a dull stain on the pavement.

:eyebrow: Apparently computers DO rot your brain, as evidenced by the authors still festering sore spot. And after only one dive, too! Wow!!

5615mike:
No computers do not suck.........divers need to know how to deal with them when they do malfunction.........because if you dive long enough they will.

If OW divers would take a page or two from the technical rules they would realize that you need to plan on things going wrong and have a contingency plan to deal with them.

Yea--I agree with the above.

boomx5:
and I don't need a computer to calculate my average depth. I can do your same dive with my bottom timer and my brain and be just fine.

I assume you have a depth gauge as well as a bottom timer and brain.

Please explain how you do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom