Computers Suck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm bad, really bad! In fact, I must also be E V I L. :drejnd:

I carry not one, but TWO computers, and a depth gauge, and simple timer. Of course one computer is in bottom timer mode, whereas the primary is used for the dive, switching gasses as needed during the descent and later ascent and deco stops (Nitek He). I also carry printed laminated bail out tables that in the event my primary computer fails, I can safely return with the second computer that is running in bottom timer mode. IF that computer also fails, my depth gauge and timer should still work for a safe asscent with the bail out tables.

I stand a better chance of being struck by lightning on a clear day, than both my computers failing. But it adds next to nothing to carry the depth gauge and timer, so I do. Being able to switch gasses on the fly during the dive, maximizes not only my bottom time, but the added accuracy increases my safety margin. This is why I dive with a computer.

The only dives I would consider doing without a computer, is an NDL dive. A timer, depth gauge and quick glance at the tables prior to the dive would be all that is needed in that case.

Many liveaboards will not allow diving without computers. Keep that in mind before you table-lugging folks book trips.

If a liveaboard required dive computers then they are idiots.

Table divers would always be more conservative then computer divers provided they followed them correctly. That's dumb enough that I wouldn't dive with them anyways so no worries.

boomx5:
and I don't need a computer to calculate my average depth. I can do your same dive with my bottom timer and my brain and be just fine.

What does average depth have with multi level dive ?
Average depth is in no correlation with NDL.

huh, what? someone say something?

MonkSeal:
What does average depth have with multi level dive ?
Average depth is in no correlation with NDL.

Actually if you use some decompression software to compare some dives calculated as multilevel dives to the same dive calculated using "average depth" it does in fact correlate very well.

Even for long and or deep dives the calculated decompression or remaining no-stop time will be very close.

this begs the question:

what methods do you use to caculate multi-level dives without computers, and
where can i get more info on them?

MikeFerrara:
Actually if you use some decompression software to compare some dives calculated as multilevel dives to the same dive calculated using "average depth" it does in fact correlate very well.

Even for long and or deep dives the calculated decompression or remaining no-stop time will be very close.

It's close if Haldanian model is used (like Buhlman used in GAP) but it's not exact. Such calculations are always close and can be used for some aproximation but I wouldn't say there's correlation besides "close".

Back
Top Bottom