Computers Suck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

B A S T A R D S----you did make me bite!

H2Andy:
back them up with a contingency plan (as simple as knowing your max time
at depth by the tables and not exceeding that in case of computer failure. if computer fails past that time, simply terminate dive and do a long safety stop to be safe).
Several times my Stinger depthgauge/bottomtimer (I don't let it compute) has quietly hidden at home un-noticed.

Fortunately I have a contingency plan for that too: Since my SPG tells time and I know the depths at the divesite I just did the dives the way I always do.

not sure what you mean, Pug... no, you don't need a computer to dive.

but when it comes to multi-level diving, i'd rather let the computer do my calculations for me.

i also drive to work, though i am quite capable of walking 10 miles. :wink:

My point being that if you are used to paying attention to your gas used/time and tracking your depth profile then your dive isn't over just because your computer craps out.
:D

therein is the advantage of not using a computer all the time, you know how to
calculate that stuff without one if one should fail.

i realize that i use my computer as a crutch (we're talking no-deco here). but hey, it
hasn't failed me yet. and when it does fail, it will ruin that one dive, and then i'll get
another.

also, keep in mind that i SUCK at math. that's topside sober; imagine trying to do these
calculations at depth when you SUCK at math to begin with.

that is so scary i don't even wanna go there :wink:

I can personally vouch for that.

I don't have enough faith in my ability to judge time and/or depth by my pressure, I check my computer enough and don't push it that if it fails I know I'll be safe with a safety stop and grab tables for the next dive.

Ben

ok, ok... so i use a calculator to figure out thirds...

jeeez... better safe than sorry

Or carry a slate and write everything down. Makes for a good backup.

I'm still getting the hang of it, but doing what Pug says here has actually saved a couple dives for me when my computer jumped out of the bag and hid in the car while I went diving. Of course - I knew the site pretty well and have a pretty good handle on my gas usage over time. On those dives, my guess was within 5 minutes run time and 5' max depth of what my buddy's computer said :D

Back
Top Bottom