Confused with what my LDS is directing me towards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fushion 52X, Abyss 22X or Abyss 52X reg, Prestige octo, 3 gauge console, Dragon BCD

Quantum SLS BCD, Abyss 22 reg, prestige octo, 3 gauge console, Puck Pro dive computer.

I do plan on getting a wrist compass, so I suppose the brass SPG would be the only other thing required.......correct?
I am sure a lot of people one ScubaBoard (including me) will advise against the console. If you have a computer on the wrist (which I prefer) the console has no purpose. Some computers will come with a built in compass, so you won't need that on a console if you get one of those.

IWhat I'm seeing in the SP and the AP packages is that they are offering lifetime parts on their regs (providing I follow proper service intervals), whereas that doesn't appear to be given on the other brands........or from other dealers?

So I guess the thing to consider since this has got into a bit of a price game, is just how much do parts cost when servicing? I realize that I will still have to pay shop rates (discounted as a student and purchased equipment from their shop), but the parts at least will be free? If we are only talking $2 or $3 dollar parts then it's not worth it.........although I suspect that the parts are a considerable amount more than a few dollars?
The parts kits are not expensive to the dealer, although most will charge a good deal for them. They make their money through charging you for the service.

This issue has the potential for creating a firestorm of debate. Some people will argue that if you are not using the regulators heavily, it makes sense to forget about the free parts and just not have the regulators serviced as often.

There used to be a company that advertised a lifetime warranty on an automobile muffler. Lots of people in high road salt environments jumped all over it, since they were going through a muffler a year. They discovered that the muffler with the lifetime warranty was a cheap piece of junk that disintegrated faster than other mufflers, but to take advantage of the warranty, you had to keep going back to the same dealer, and the labor costs were not covered by the warranty.

Holy god, If theyre charging 2K for that rubbishgear, I would be buying this if I had started again....

Deepstop DIR XTX50 5-Port Set - Deepstop GmbH

along with GUE REC 11 / Fundamentals. I seriously would consider this deal if you know you will get deeper into diving. It’s a good deal.

I wonder how you’d get that to America though....
There would be no reason for this system to be shipped to America (unles the Op takes it with him to the US). The Op lives in Canada. Not withstanding that, 1508Euros works out to roughly $2277CAD so with the current exchange rates, unfortunately, it is not as good of a deal as it is on your side of the pond.

For @Geobound where in Ontario do you live? I can, and would be happy to recommend a dive shop in the GTA (Oakville) or a couple in the KW area that I trust totally if you want a second opinion from a different shop.

Regular dive buddy has one. That’s enough.

I have almost 400 dives with my i3. In Maine. Thick gloves. Wetsuit. Drysuit. Never had a problem Since my LDS sold it to me, they can fix it, should one arise.

Helps to know what you’re talking about before sharing.

I have almost 400 dives with my i3. In Maine. Thick gloves. Wetsuit. Drysuit. Never had a problem Since my LDS sold it to me, they can fix it, should one arise.

Helps to know what you’re talking about before sharing.

:facepalm:

Does your LDS stock the i3 lever - yes or no? Simple question. If they don’t, how long would you have to wait for them to get it in?

Wow where to begin with all the great information provided here?

I'm sure I will have missed a direct or indirect reply to a comment, but it's only because I'm new so don't hold it against me. LOL.....

I should say that I trust my DS enough to have got my certification through them, and to know that as a "student" of theirs, that there is extra service that comes along with it that a walk in off the street won't likely get. I've also been around long enough to know that loyalty only goes so far in business, and at a certain point the pendulum swings back in their favour.

There are a few Mares packages that I've seen lately, but here is the comparable priced package.....

Fushion 52X, Abyss 22X or Abyss 52X reg, Prestige octo, 3 gauge console, Dragon BCD

or for about $1600.00 CDN I can go with this Mares package.

Quantum SLS BCD, Abyss 22 reg, prestige octo, 3 gauge console, Puck Pro dive computer.

What I'm seeing in the SP and the AP packages is that they are offering lifetime parts on their regs (providing I follow proper service intervals), whereas that doesn't appear to be given on the other brands........or from other dealers?

So I guess the thing to consider since this has got into a bit of a price game, is just how much do parts cost when servicing? I realize that I will still have to pay shop rates (discounted as a student and purchased equipment from their shop), but the parts at least will be free? If we are only talking $2 or $3 dollar parts then it's not worth it.........although I suspect that the parts are a considerable amount more than a few dollars?

I did mention that I had picked up a D4i Novo along with the transmitter for a killer deal (oaky I didn't mention the transmitter or the killer deal just the computer), but it was suggested that it wasn't the best choice? Just curious......but why?

I do plan on getting a wrist compass, so I suppose the brass SPG would be the only other thing required.......correct?

My experience with other DS's that I have been into hasn't been that great. It appears to me that if you aren't ready to pull out your CC on the spot to make a purchase, they don't seem willing to part with their time or knowledge.

Sure they will give you about 30 seconds or so of lip service, but generally point you to the internet to learn whatever it is that you want. Okay I get it time is money, but I've been into the shops in off peak time and they have typically just been shooting the crap with their mates about their last dive trip.

I can navigate the web quite well so sourcing information now days isn't that difficult either, but the personal interactions as the questions come up is what these shops appear to not want to give. As I leave the store I make a mental note of the day and time, and scratch them off my list of places to do followup business with.

At some point I will send an email to advise them of my service and why I opted not to purchase from them, but with internet shopping being so easily done from the comfort of your home whilst sitting in your underwear.........you'd think they would be a bit more attentive? Sorry a bit of a rant there. LOL.....

There is a scuba shop out of the UK that has a billion videos online and if it weren't such a hassle to order from them, they would be my go to spot. Their videos are super helpful, and their pricing seems to be great.

Anyway it appears that after getting some great information from you folks, I have a bit more reading to do.

Thanks again for your time and help.

regulator service labor rates range from 80 to 120 roughly for a first stage and 2 second stages. the parts kits for apeks are 38 dollars for a first stage and 22 for a second stage in the US, probably similar after exchange rate in canada. they are available in europe for a bit less. saving money with a parts for life warranty requires a very specific scenario where:

1) you are diving the reg enough to need rebuild every 2 years or more often
2) you are not interested in rebuilding the reg yourself
3) the LDS does the odd year inspection for free or nominal cost

otherwise, you won't really be saving much getting the parts for free. in the above narrow scenario, you save roughly 82 dollars every 2 years by getting the rebuild parts kits for free.

with the d4i and transmitter, you could choose to forego the spg if you wanted. spg would offer redundancy in case the transmitter fails.

I wonder why the OP is so keen on package? There is always better and cheaper individual alternative than the package offers by the shop.
Apeks XTX20 is NOT suitable for cold water diving.

I would never recommend Shearwater but it is made in Canada.

:facepalm:

Does your LDS stock the i3 lever - yes or no? Simple question. If they don’t, how long would you have to wait for them to get it in?
Even though the store has been closed for three hours, the owner of my LDS answered my text inquiry to say yes there are several available. Should I ever need one, I’ll let you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom