Conshelf fans welcomed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is also a version of the Conshelf first stage with a replaceable HP orifice. I am trying to find what series it was. I think it was the 21 - 22 era.

Quick servicing question.
That small, thin nylon washer that goes between the circlip and filter is missing on about 90% of the 1st stages I service. Of the 10% that that do have the washer most of these are getting their 1st service.
I figure most Conshelfs get serviced by simply compressing the whole -seat-spring-balance chamber-spring-filter- tower with the pliers and it's a pain to get the nylon washer in place, so most people just don't bother replacing it.
Using the insertion tool (I use a pencil) it can be done quite easily.
My question is, if you get a 1st stage with this washer missing, do you put a new one in at service?

Yep. That filter washer is metal and comes in the service kit, although it might depend on when the kits were made. Even the retaining ring ("circlip") is included. The only things in that assembly not replaced with service are the two springs and the spring block.

And I use the recommended half-inch dowel instead of a pencil.

Quick servicing question.
That small, thin nylon washer that goes between the circlip and filter is missing on about 90% of the 1st stages I service. Of the 10% that that do have the washer most of these are getting their 1st service.
I figure most Conshelfs get serviced by simply compressing the whole -seat-spring-balance chamber-spring-filter- tower with the pliers and it's a pain to get the nylon washer in place, so most people just don't bother replacing it.
Using the insertion tool (I use a pencil) it can be done quite easily.
My question is, if you get a 1st stage with this washer missing, do you put a new one in at service?

Take a look at this tool at Vintage Double Hose Product Image Item Name- Price
High Pressure Block Assembly Guide
Tom Madere has made a fantastic copy of the U.S. Divers tool # 1110-00 or Navy Manual tool # 1130. This tool is used to center and align the seat,...

Tim

To be honest most of the time I'm lazy and just keep the stack centered and just push down on the sintered filter with the circlip pliers and don't use the nylon spacer/washer.

To be honest most of the time I'm lazy and just keep the stack centered and just push down on the sintered filter with the circlip pliers and don't use the nylon spacer/washer.

Aqua Lung has basically replaced the nylon washer with a stainless steel washer. You may find some of the nylon washers from dive shops that are using up stock, but I though that were a pain to work with.

The stainless washer (part # 124628) is real easy to work with. It doesn’t hang up when installing the assembly (like the plastic one tends to do).

Is it essential to install the washer at all… probably not, but it is design to take up the gap left behind when Aqua Lung went from the old filters with the integrated rings (it started back with the Royal Aqua Master) to the simple sintered metal filters, which are thinner.
Having this gap reduces the short spring tension on the back of the spring block (the balancing chamber). Actually, the early filters with the rings came from the early Broxton Ave. regulators, etc.

The short spring is design to press the balancing chamber (aka spring block) against the small shoulder / lip in the first stage body. It is important for the balancing function for the spring block to be supported on that lip, but I think the short spring will always take care of that (with or without the washer spacer). I can’t think of any real harm by not replacing the spacer washer, but using the stainless washers is so easy I can’t think of a reason not to use them.

The assembly tool made by Tom makes reassembly a lot easier. I have done it for many years (even when I worked at a couple of dive shop) with just a dowel, but after having the tool I am totally spoiled. I just like having the right tool for the job. It just makes the job a lot easier. I aslo work with Royal Aqua Master's, Conshelf's, and Titan's often enough that I like to make it as easy as possible to reassemble them...

Last edited:
Over the years, I have seen 2 or 3 broken filters without the washer. Other than that, like Luis said, I can't see any harm in leaving it out.

To answer Slonda's question about the conshelf supreme. The upper half of the 1st stage is the same, with the exception of a lower IP (125 +/-5 psi). After adjusting the IP, pressurize the regulator and fill the reservoir with silicone and fit the enviro diaphragm, and screw on the retainer ring. Then release the pressure source and the diaphragm will suck down a little bit, giving it a dimpled appearance.

I just rebuilt one 3 days ago, and dove it the following morning. It worked great and just became the back-up to my PRAM. I love using things that I built/ fixed myself.

Where can I get the silicone? Years ago, when I got my Conshelf 21 Supreme serviced, the guy removed the environmental stuff and said I really didn't need it for Monterey 46 degree F diving. But I'm thinking of putting it back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom