Considering PADI master diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbulmer:
At various times in the past Mike F has contacted PADI about his concerns and if memory serves me right the reaction from PADI was basically a *So what?" type of reaction in that they did not actively change their view of training - Mike F can correct me if my memory is wrong. That said, just because PADI didn't listen to Mike or Thalassamania or countless other instructors does not make Mike F wrong or Thalasa wrong (nor PADI for that matter).

Your point about the statistical nature of incident reporting is perhaps a valid one and yes data does tend to be a more convincing argument when you are dealing with committees etc but in the final analysis what Mike F, Thalassamania have revealed about the skills required for nice easy fun diving without environmental damage to the underwater environment is difficult to refute.

Hi Db, you make some fair comments (and a lot more palatably than it tends to be on this thread). A couple of quick points (its late here, and I want to go back for my dinner!!).

Firstly, contacting PADI and saying "your course/training is crap (or even "substandard") is not going to get you a very long way (no surprise there).

"Your training program is endangering divers" *might* get you further along - especially as PADI appears to keep a VERY wary eye on the litigation scene. However, that is simply, as we have shown in this thread not true - or rather we can say *overall* there is no evidence to support it. If you could get data to show that PADI trained divers are say, 10 times more likely to have an accident while diving than divers trained through XYZ organization - again, you *might* get PADI to listen. Again, we come back to the (critical) point, that DATA is the key to get organizations (and people to listen).

PADI is very "proud" of its AWARE projects. If I was mike, this is the angle that I would be going for - its not rocket science to work out the approach (and see the post before yours for further clues!).

I am NOT saying mike is wrong in what he is saying. All along I have asked "whats your evidence" - or on *what* are you basing your claim?". All I get back is : Mike knows what he is talking about - and who the hell are you to be questioning him?".

Well, lets move to the real world for a minute. By and large as you say- nobody gives a rats arse what Mike is saying. Multi-million dollar organizations are NOT going to change their operations because "Mike don't like it". *If* you start comming up with concrete data, facts, figures and even more importantly *if* you can show this is affecting thier bottom line - then, and maybe only then - will you get thier undivided attention.

And lastly
dbulmer:
Just my 2 cents from a crap diver.

The fact that the "die hards" (now note I said die hards and not "blow hards") on this board equate the number of dives some one has with the "worth" of their opinions, is, to a large extent what is wrong with it. I maybe late to diving, but I am not a recent arrival to bloody planet earth....
-j-

Josh,
The problem is that even in cases where you can demonstrably show that something wasn't right the diving agency very rarely take steps to rectify it. I cannot speak from personal experience on that but I do know that Mike F and others have provided concrete evidence on matters and were simply ignored - you often hear on this board and several other boards as well of standards violations which were basically ignored. It often appears that the agencies only take step to change things if deaths and poor publicity have a negative impact on the balance sheet.

If you are as passionate about diving as I'm sure you are and know that Mike F is, it must be gallling to state the obvious and then have someone ignore it particularly when you have the experience to backup your observations and provide alternative solutions.

People like me are gaining experience but we are still in the Oh My God why didn't I think of that mode? We gain a lot of those insights from more experienced divers and the internet is one of the places we learn from - there are others on the board who learned the hard way pre-internet and deserve our respect for challenging the status quo.

Just an observation on my part.

josh_ingu:
OK. Good. Lets not however assume that other people also do not have similar experience.

That being said, however, the main problem in this thread is the "throwing the baby out with the bath water." What *solid* data there is, gets cited when it supports our arguement, and trashed when it does not. Thalassamania says that as we dont have *full* data, then we can't trust *any* data:

-j-

I admit, I threw the baby out with the water.... That baby was too ugly..

The specific baby is "being a passenger in a car"....

My son has been a passenger in my car for 12 years... He has not gotten coral burn, near miss with a boat, etc. etc. etc..

Assuming that being a passenger in a car is less safe than diving, but being a driver in a car is less safe than being a passenger??

I've been a driver for nearly 30 years - not one coral scratch, not one accident, not one incident....

Then you want me to believe the statistics they quoted!!

This baby is UGLY, and needs to be thrown out with the water....

josh_ingu:
The fact that the "die hards" (now note I said die hards and not "blow hards") on this board equate the number of dives some one has with the "worth" of their opinions, is, to a large extent what is wrong with it. I maybe late to diving, but I am not a recent arrival to bloody planet earth....
-j-

Josh, you are getting too wrap up with these folks... Getting mad at them doesn't do your blood pressure anygood...

More important than anything posted here, how the heck did you get to stay in Thailand??

How's the weather there? The food? Is it worth the money to visit and dive there??

No one should get the idea that I'm trying to do anything for PADI or any other agency. When I was a PADI instructor, I did speak to them about alot of this. If you don't have a standards violation to report, they just aren't interested and they simply defer to instructor judgement.

We all see lots of divers in the water and we all see pretty much the same thing. Aside from what I've seen in my own travels I have video that other divers have given me from their trips and it looks pretty bad out there. On this board you can read about the experiences of a large number of divers from all over the world and things seem pretty consistant. Many divers, including instructors, just haven't seen anything else.

The agencies just do what they do. They mass-market McDiving. They are no more experts in diving than McDonalds is expert in good food. This is high volume, not high quality. I don't see that changing and it isn't my job to change it.

The only message I care to get across to students and newer divers is that if they understand some of this, they can do much better for themselves. The only message I have for instructors who have come up through our present certification system is that things don't have to be the way they have typically seen them. There are ways to get students off the bottom and in far better control before leaving confined water. It isn't hard to do much better but you aren't going to get it from an agency.

eveyone must know something I am missing because I find it very difficult to sew all these patches on my wetsuit.

josh_ingu:
OK. Good. Lets not however assume that other people also do not have similar experience.

Now, the original "cut and paste" was comparing the *relative risk* of activities. I agree that no values were given (man hours/days weeks), and no odds ratios were given either, as were no absolute values. In this case, however, we *can* assume that, as its a comparison, the "units" were the same. There is no reason to assume that diving was calculated in "seconds diving" and being a passanger as "man years in a car", otherwise it *would* be impossible to compare. So, for us to assume that the calculation was done in terms of "time per activity" is fair and sound (in the absence of further data).
According to the statistics professor who was on my PhD committee, the first rule of data analysis is: “Hell hath no fury as an unwarranted assumption.”

josh_ingu:
That being said, however, the main problem in this thread is the "throwing the baby out with the bath water." What *solid* data there is, gets cited when it supports our arguement, and trashed when it does not. Thalassamania says that as we dont have *full* data, then we can't trust *any* data.
I don’t think I said that.

josh_ingu:
Is that correct? Well, no. Of course it is not. Statistsics is, largely, about analysis of incompete data sets to enable us to draw conclusions about the whole data set with a certain degree of assurance (remember that bit fisherdvm?).
You need some more statistical training than you have received to date. Statistics is ENTIRELY the analysis of COMPLETE sample data sets to enable us to predict the makeup of larger sampled populations. Incomplete data sets and poor sampling design make for bogus statistics and can only be viewed, at best, as exploratory data analysis. You should read Tukey’s book on the subject (Tukey, John (1977), Exploratory Data Analysis, Addison-Wesley).

josh_ingu:
So, what data *do* we have?. We have, with a certain degree of assurance
1. The number of reported accidents per year. Now is this *all* accidents per year? No of course not. Is it a "selected set" of data? To a large degree, yes. Between years, is there *any* evidence that the percentage of all accidents reported, or the *type* of accidents reported varies significantly? No, there is no evidence that the percentage of all accidents, or the type of accidents reported changes. So we *can* use this data as at least *representative* of the number/type of accidents in diving each year.
No there is no basis to make that assumption, factored into that would have to be changes in standards, effects of shifts in numbers trained under one set of standards vs. another, effects of changes in equipment and the way in which equipment is used, etc. There are too many items that are not held constant.

josh_ingu:
2. The second type of data we have is the number of certifications each year. Do we have *exact* data on all certifications every year, and does anyone collate the various organizations together to provide a total number of certifications each year? No. Can we use, say, *one* organization as a guide? Yes, again, in the absence of data that says that that organization does something *markedly* different from other organizations that affects year to year reporting, we could use the data from one organization to give us an *idea* of where the whole market segment is going.
No this data is unavailable and has been unavailable from day one. There is not even corroborated data from a single organization.

josh_ingu:
OK. We have two *representative* pieces of data. Neither set is *complete*, and both sets are merely representative of the whole of the diving industry. Both sets *are* however relatively "solid" numbers.
So your going to draw sweeping correlations, without even a reasonable theory of causality, based on comparing two incomplete (and potentially intentionally skewed) possibly non-independent variables.

josh_ingu:
From those two data sets it is clear, despite any thing else going on that diving is getting SAFER. This is explicitly stated by DAN, and there is no evidence *anywhere* to the contrary.
Safe means “without risk,” this is clearly not the case. If you had valid samples you might be able to talk about reduced vs. increased risk. But the data is not even good enough for that.

josh_ingu:
That, frankly is just sad. Some one who bases their opinion on no data, or upon no factual basis is not an "expert". They are, at best, a good guesser and at worst a blowhard. To provide a convincing arguement, one that will convince the doubtful - you need DATA. Real data, and not "I guess".....or "I think......." or "I believe....".
Again, you have no idea of what you are talking about. In the face of inadequate data often the best analysis is that provided by the integrative power of the human mind once exposed to all the data.

Unlike you, (who is shooting in the dark, I guess that’s where your knowledge of the “blowhard” approach comes from) I had the advantage, at the behest of the U.S. Coast Guard, NOAA and OSHA, of reading each and every case file from the National Underwater Accident Data Center. My professional conclusion at the end of that process was that no valid statistical analysis could be performed on the data and that it’s value (with one notable exception that I’ll discuss later) lay in, not in rather poor attempts that had been made to quantify, but in the strength of the accident narratives wherein divers could “experience” accidents without having to actually go through them. The exception was the peak in accidents and training fatalities in the later 1970s that seems to have been reduced by PADI putting an end to their policy of certifying (with nothing more than paperwork) anyone with a claim to have taught diving in the past and cleaning house by creating the distinction between a PADI Diving Instructor and a PADI Openwater Diving Instructor. That change, which was brought about as a result of the NUADC’s identification of the problem, seemed (coincidentally?) to result in turning around the growth of training fatalities and actually reducing them. I guess that’s what you mean by a “good guess?”

josh_ingu:
As a side point, it would be interesting to know the basis by which Thalasamania proposes that DAN are "self-serving". They are in the buisness of selling dive insurance. It would be more in their interest to make diving out to be more dangerous (to sell more insurance) rather than *less* dangerous.
Because I know the industry, because I’ve been witness to the conversations in the “smoke-filled” rooms where the deals are made. Because I know the people involved and have been a confidant of some of them. DAN is not in the business of selling insurance, they are in the same certification business as the agencies. DAN would like to appear to be the “Red Cross of Diving” but has, in the past, engaged in some rather bizarre, shady and self-serving deals. I have complete confidence in the new leadership there, especially Dan Orr, and I fully expect the past abuses, sweetheart deals and the cronyism attitude that went with them to end.

josh_ingu:
... as thats the easiest to tackle. Ecologically, that habitat destruction due to divers is gonna be relatively easy to quantify - if you are prepared to put some time and effort into it. Get some 1 meter length wooden slats, make them into squares (PVC pipes would do as well). Pick two areas, one frequented by the type of diver you think are a problem, one not (for whatever reason). You want those two areas to be as similar as possible, with the only variable being the divers in one. Put the square down, and *count* the number of your indicator species (nests/eggs whatever). Do that over as long as you can, as regularly as you can. Two season? Three? Now, at the end of your study, *compare* your two data sets. Now you can start to say "divers in this area are impacting significantly, indicator species show a XY% reduction in ..... blah blah blah". You could video actual divers impacting upon the dive environment to enfoce your point. Get your divers (and students) involved. Underwater photography, videography, marine concervation, underwater naturalist etc etc all rolled into one neat little ball. From what I recall, Thalassamania is supposed to be some sort of Marine biologist or other, he could be giving you far more pertinent advice on how to *document* the habitat destruction than I can. If you start from a position of *real* data, people *are* going to listen to you. Ranting on boards like this may be fun, but, in the final analysis, its rather pointless. So, Mike, do you wanna blather on about standards, or do you want to *do* something? Your call.
There is no need to waste resources studying the obvious. I suspect that all parties involved will stipulate to the habitat destruction. We are currently facing much more critical problems to which our scientific resources need to be applied.

Please, take two aspirin, three deep breaths … and call us after you’ve read Tukey’s book.

Thalassamania:
According to the statistics professor who was on my PhD committee, the first rule of data analysis is: “Hell hath no fury as an unwarranted assumption.”

I don’t think I said that.

You need some more statistical training than you have received to date. Statistics is ENTIRELY the analysis of COMPLETE sample data sets to enable us to predict the makeup of larger sampled populations. Incomplete data sets and poor sampling design make for bogus statistics and can only be viewed, at best, as exploratory data analysis. You should read Tukey’s book on the subject (Tukey, John (1977), Exploratory Data Analysis, Addison-Wesley).

No there is no basis to make that assumption, factored into that would have to be changes in standards, effects of shifts in numbers trained under one set of standards vs. another, effects of changes in equipment and the way in which equipment is used, etc. There are too many items that are not held constant.

No this data is unavailable and has been unavailable from day one. There is not even corroborated data from a single organization.

So your going to draw sweeping correlations, without even a reasonable theory of causality, based on comparing two incomplete (and potentially intentionally skewed) possibly non-independent variables.

Safe means “without risk,” this is clearly not the case. If you had valid samples you might be able to talk about reduced vs. increased risk. But the data is not even good enough for that.

Again, you have no idea of what you are talking about. In the face of inadequate data often the best analysis is that provided by the integrative power of the human mind once exposed to all the data.

Unlike you, (who is shooting in the dark, I guess that’s where your knowledge of the “blowhard” approach comes from) I had the advantage, at the behest of the U.S. Coast Guard, NOAA and OSHA, of reading each and every case file from the National Underwater Accident Data Center. My professional conclusion at the end of that process was that no valid statistical analysis could be performed on the data and that it’s value (with one notable exception that I’ll discuss later) lay in, not in rather poor attempts that had been made to quantify, but in the strength of the accident narratives wherein divers could “experience” accidents without having to actually go through them. The exception was the peak in accidents and training fatalities in the later 1970s that seems to have been reduced by PADI putting an end to their policy of certifying (with nothing more than paperwork) anyone with a claim to have taught diving in the past and cleaning house by creating the distinction between a PADI Diving Instructor and a PADI Openwater Diving Instructor. That change, which was brought about as a result of the NUADC’s identification of the problem, seemed (coincidentally?) to result in turning around the growth of training fatalities and actually reducing them. I guess that’s what you mean by a “good guess?”

Because I know the industry, because I’ve been witness to the conversations in the “smoke-filled” rooms where the deals are made. Because I know the people involved and have been a confidant of some of them. DAN is not in the business of selling insurance, they are in the same certification business as the agencies. DAN would like to appear to be the “Red Cross of Diving” but has, in the past, engaged in some rather bizarre, shady and self-serving deals. I have complete confidence in the new leadership there, especially Dan Orr, and I fully expect the past abuses, sweetheart deals and the cronyism attitude that went with them to end.

There is no need to waste resources studying the obvious. I suspect that all parties involved will stipulate to the habitat destruction. We are currently facing much more critical problems to which our scientific resources need to be applied.

Please, take two aspirin, three deep breaths … and call us after you’ve read Tukey’s book.

Holy, gamoley, you are almost as obsessive compulsive as I am... Or we both have wives we are trying to avoid...

OCD may be a possbility, and a job with long waits for on-line searches to come back.

For those lovely lady divers who are looking for a new patch to sew on their warm up jackets, the illustrious and infamous Dr. Bill is offering a course that is sure to please. Why, you even get a nice patch free if you successfully complete the class. If you're a tropical diver who doesn't use a warm up jacket on your surface intervals, this patch can be sewn onto a cap, t-shirt or other apparel item. No agency in its right mind recognizes this speciality, but who needs em anyway?

Private lessons are the norm, although small group classes will be considered on a case-to-case basis.

Here is the patch:

Attachments

• DDDB logo on t-shirt 096dpi.jpg
    DDDB logo on t-shirt 096dpi.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 47
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom