Considering switching to w/bp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi farsidefan1,

no question, a bp/w is much less bulky than a "typical" BCD. But there are some alternatives you may want to put in your consideration.

ajduplessis already mentioned the Scubapro Lighthawk. The Scubapro Seahawk may fits your needs even better.

Both are not bp/w, but reliable back-floatation BCDs.

Another alternative that I use is the british Custom Divers Sportster. A little bit more like a "classical" bp/w, but with a plastic backplate. It is available with an integrated weight system and accessory pockets.

The A. P. Valves Tekwing Lite comes from Britain, too.

I think, if you don't want to take the highway to technical diving or two tank diving and stay on the warm-water-travelling-diver side of life, all these "wings" could be taken into consideration.

Good luck:wink:

I just got the Oceanic Excursion 2 and love it! Very minimal but with pockets and int. weights. I put a video on youtube under Excursion 2 and a review under Oceanic. It may or may not be what your looking for but it might be worth a look.

Last edited:
Another alternative that I use is the british Custom Divers Sportster. A little bit more like a "classical" bp/w, but with a plastic backplate. It is available with an integrated weight system and accessory pockets.

The A. P. Valves Tekwing Lite comes from Britain, too.

I've used a lot of Custom Divers equipment over the years - but I do think they over-complicate their designs, and this causes unnecessary bulk and clutter. My first BP&W was a CD TDB. First the comfort harness got Ebayed. The wing itself deteriorated badly in the tropics. The steel backplate is the only thing that remains. Once I owned a Halcyon, I'd never consider getting a CD wing again.

I've also owned a A.P.Valves Tekwing (along with several Commando jacket BCDs). It isn't a patch on the quality or function of something like an Oxycheq Mach V 18lb with ultra-lite harness.

Consider a freedom plate with oxycheq mach V 18 lb wing. I would also use slightly more flexible webbing than is typically used on a BP/W. I'm not sure why you're carrying the baby shampoo on your dive, but I guess you want that clean feeling!

I have a dive rite mesh pocket that attaches to the bottom of the plate and holds either a small light and SMB (rec diving) or my back up mask for cavern/cave. I'd avoid pockets on the front of belt; they're bulky and 99% of the time there's a better way to carry what you need.

I know you're not a techy guy, but have a look at the way hogarthian divers carry gear, they've really thought it through and you can get some good ideas.

I switched to a BP&W because:

-Chicks Dig It (High CDI Factor)
-Lower profile
-The tank is lower no the back making it a more stable platform
-100% Modular design
-Wide range of adjustment
-The OxyCheq Extreme Series
-Less failure points in the harness system (nothing is stitched together)
-Cheaper overall cost
-Packs smaller/flatter
-You don't have to add anything you don't want or need
-Dries quicker
-No excess buoyancy in the system
-Easy to maintain
-More freedom of motion
-Adaptable to many types of diving.
-No Fairy dust or Gypsy tears needed (but always recommended).
-Once you buy one, SB members stop recommending them to you.
-You get to sit in the back of the bus with the cool kids.

...but they're not for everyone.

ROTFLMAO Reef. Dang and after looking at some BP/W designs I'm leaning very strongly toward one of the travel BC's C'mon, I want to sit in the back of the bus with the cool kids:mooner:(baby shampoo for defog). By the time I put in the integrated weights (front and back), and at least one pocket - I have built a travel bc. I need to decide quickly because I need to dive it at least I'm wondering if I ought to take my big ole sucker on the trip since I know it forwards and backwards. I'm not sure Palau is a great place to be trying out a new package. On the other hand... yeah, what is the big deal? Looking at the Aeris 5 oceans, which a local dive shop has in stock (and on sale) and some of the others suggested here. Tomorrow I am going to check out another shop to look at bp/w's and see how they configure them then a stop at a Scuba pro shop to check out their travel bcs. I don't mind paying the extra to a dive shop as I get to touch and feel what I'm buying, and usually try it out before committing. The Aeris fits much better in my dive bag. Now I have to check out the competion. Thanks again for the suggestions, keep them coming please, Oh, and the local dive shop promised fairly dust but only if I became a cross dresser.:blinking:

I have a friend that just finished his first dive trip with his Aqualung Zuma. He loved it. 26 dives in two weeks without any problems. His is a small and weighs 4.1 pounds. It literally rolls up smaller than a beach towel. Integrated weights. One pocket if I recall correctly. I played with one in the pool and it was super comfortable. Something to consider anyway.

I looked at the Zuma but no rear trim pockets. That is why I was looking at the Aeris 5 oceans, or the Aqualung balanced. More bulky that the Zuma but still only a third of my glide plus. Thanks for that idea.One more BP/w shop tomorrow. Saturday is decision day.

After looking at several bp/w setups I went with the aqualung balanced bc. Pocket, trims pockets. Not nearly as minimalist at the bp/w but I wanted the other features without all the technical hassle. Too complicated for me, especially once I had added what I wanted. I hit the pool tonight with the new bc and reg (yeah, you know how it is. Once I had a new bc I had to get a new regulator too, an atomic B-2, where does it end?). I need to spend some time with it. Now I am trying to get it configured just right. I need to figure out how to stow camera, light, SMB and computer without getting anything tangled up. Computer is toughest. I don't want it dangling so I put it on a retractor and I want it protected from banging into stuff. In my old jacket bc I just slipped it into the pocket on the left side during surface intervals. Now, no left pocket. I need to get familiar with the new configuration ASAP before I head out to Palau.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom