Console vs Wrist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't you DIR type put all sorts of gadgets on both of your arms?

I would be really pleased if you stopped referring to me a 'DIR type'. That is a huge assumption on your behalf and entirely incorrect.

You seem to confuse 'DIR' with any diver who happens to have recreational and technical diving experience and offers a different opinion to your own.

Why do some divers have to worry about other divers' spending habits?

1) People ask questions. Some of us use this forum as a medium for answering those questions, sharing our experience and generally helping people. Others just offer short, sarcastic and argumentative pokes at people.

2) Some of us do care to help novice divers from unnecessary expense. My earlier comment was merely to illustrate that computer redundancy (not back-up, in your gear bag) was not needed for recreational divers. As such, it was an unnecesarily expensive solution to a problem that doesn't exist. If a diver wants to wear a dozen computers, that is their choice. I just want to be clear, for the benefit of novice divers reading this, that they don't need computer redundancy.

3) Some of us do care about illustrating bad or inefficient diving practices. Ill-considered, unnecessary 'redundancy' is one of those. Understanding why and when redundancy is needed is a good skill to develop in scuba diving. There is a difference between what a diver might want and what they actually need. I, for one, like to educate them about what they need. At least then they can make a personal choice based on some logic. If they still chose what they want, then good for them.

Fnfalman, By constantly advocating that divers can opt for what they want, you miss the opportunity to educate them about what they need. Provide the knowledge and reasoning...and let them make their own choices. When you attack other contributors, who explain things on the basis of need, you are only serving to champion uneducated decision making and reduce the options available to those who ask the questions...

honestly, against alot of folks here and on scubatoys not to buy before diving, i doubt all my gear, 5k including a 899 camera.

I have only truely regretted one thing. I bought a wrist atom 2 AI watch type computer. LOve the computer HATE THE WATCH SETUP.

On our local strip pit quarry dives, it is a pain to use when going up a line. I check my air alot, and it is just a pain in the butt. when I go with a better computer for nitrox and more advance/tech diving it will not be a wrist type.

I am ok with it and like the thing, as I said wish I went the other way.

On our local strip pit quarry dives, it is a pain to use when going up a line. I check my air alot, and it is just a pain in the butt. when I go with a better computer for nitrox and more advance/tech diving it will not be a wrist type.

I don't understand what you are trying to describe. Why is it a pain to view your watch when ascending a line??

I think there would be a skills/procedure answer to this issue...and that will become more evident as you gain experience. :)

Also, you won't be using a console computer for tech diving. :no:

Try holding a console and whatever else up a line.

Wear the comp or whatever else on the inside of your wrist.

And take a light inside wrecks.

when I go with a better computer for nitrox and more advance/tech diving it will not be a wrist type.

I don't think I even know a technical diver who uses a console for their dives. :idk:

I've gone with a wrist mounted one from the beginning and am glad that I did.

I don't think I even know a technical diver who uses a console for their dives. :idk:

It's actively discouraged by most agencies. Console mounted gauges (other than SPG) just don't have any favourable 'pro' argument when it comes to technical diving configurations.

I think that bigtim6656 is just having issues with novice-diver task loading. Ascending on a line doesn't really take up your hands...and by tech diving level he should be deploying DSMB, monitoring gauges, checking slates and dealing with anything else that arises. It won't be an issue for him by that point. :)

the only, or well real issue, is when I use my right or both hands. I have to take my hand off and look at the watch, should I need the glow light I would need both hands.

I did not think of turning it around. ALso could be the small size of the atom 2 since it basicly looks like a watch.

I think with the GALILEO LUNA which I have been looking at for my next computer, it would not be a issue, since it is alot bigger then the atom 2

If the gauge is on your wrist, why not just read it from there, with your hand still on the line??

I do complex, deep wreck penetrations..in doubles, with stages...carrying an umbilical torch, laying line and supervising other divers...I can still read my dive computer and spg with no problems. The same is true when I ascend...using DSMB and reel... no issues with seeing my wrist. Most of the time I use a Suunto D9...which has a relatively small display. I monitor it every few seconds as a habit.

Can you describe your ascent technique...why you have to use both hands...and cannot view your wrist?

I have been diving the Luna for some time now and found it to be great. I have it on the outside of my left wrist so it is really comfortable when using the compass. When assending a line, instead of holding the line like most people would I turn my wrist 180 degrees so the line is closer to my chest but I see all info needed or just use the other hand for the line.

I am undecided between the OC1 Wireless Air Integrated wristwatch and the Atomic Cobalt Console. Can someone please provide some feedback on which might be a better option for me? I love the idea of having a wireless air integrated device and have read the OC1 manual from top to bottom. Basicly a bit complicated but after reading and understanding it does everything needed so it seems. The price has also come down cosiderably. I've viewed the video and the virtual tutorial of the Atomic Cobalt on it's website and ofcourse was impressed by the ease of use and functions but it's a bulky console...what to do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom