Continental Military Members and Checked baggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrisc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found this on Continental's site... This saves a bunch of cash for military members traveling.

Continental Airlines - Checked Baggage

Active U.S. Military Personnel on Military Orders or Personal Travel 3 Checked Military Style Duffel Bags - no charge Each bag at a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 115 linear inches (292 cm) per bag (total length + width + height)
or
3 Checked Non-Military Style Bags - no charge Each bag at a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) per bag (total length + width + height)

U.S. Military Dependents on Official Business, or Traveling with Military Personnel on Personal Travel 3 Checked Bags - no charge Each bag at a maximum 70 lbs (32 kg) and 62 linear inches (157 cm) per bag (total length + width + height)

No it does not - they have to being traveling on orders. All of the airlines have been doing similar.

No it does not - they have to being traveling on orders. All of the airlines have been doing similar.

Ahh... Yes they do. Just came back from Cancun weeks ago with 3 bags. Showed ID and bags went for free. Also used it when we went to Roatan in January. They might resist at first but point out the web site and print out the baggage site.

You are correct I missed the "or Personal Travel". Not sure what I think about such allowances ... they certainly should be there when on orders or traveling for RR. But for general personal travel ????

You are correct that on orders just about every airline is 3 bags 70#. There was a list of airline "perks" for miltary members and dependants published last year in AF Times. The usual if in uniform, the airline clubs were free, and some had free upgrades to FC when returning from SW Asia. Delta upgraded my wife in May to FC on her way to Bangor to head to Iraq. Continental was free baggage, AA had something also like $250 rt anywhere they fly when returning from the desert and within 6 months going on vacation, I'll dig up the article.

Sometimes it pays to be in the miltary, the pay sure doesn't...

You are correct I missed the "or Personal Travel". Not sure what I think about such allowances ... they certainly should be there when on orders or traveling for RR. But for general personal travel ????

What do you think R&R is? Personal travel.

What do you think R&R is? Personal travel.

R&R is the week or 2 break while deployed, you still are on official orders and usually the military picks up the tab... Personal travel is different.

Not sure what I think about such allowances...

Are you suggesting that you might possibly be AGAINST the idea?

?????

I think it's fine if a business wants to extend perks to members of the military. There are plenty of businesses that extend % discounts to members of the military

I get the same baggage allowance (Three 70lb bags) as a One Pass Platinum member and I assure you that I didn't do anything as near as important as serving in the military to earn that right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom